Why become a member? ×

detune a bass to d turner

J66Bass

sorry about stupid question I'm getting very happy to detune my bass to DGCF but finding real hard to tune it , is there any bass turner you recommend to tune it to the right tune , hope you understand my question ,thanks jm I'm using a old korg turner ga30 does the new generation are easy to find DGCF tone pitch perfect?

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1468845000' post='3093692']
Not a particularly accurate method, but close enough for rock'n'roll :D
[/quote]

Using a tuner that has trouble picking up open strings, I'd say as an alternative it is indeed very accurate. Whereas fretting the notes at the 12th fret isn't so, depending on instrument and set up. :)

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1468845214' post='3093697']

What's inaccurate about the octave harmonics?
[/quote]

Indeed - I'd have thought that if you had problems with tuning at the twelth fret then your intonation was out.

i usually tune to D and Eb. best method for me is very quickly by ear pluck open D (or fret Eb on A string for Eb), pluck open E and turn the tuning peg as close as possible first time. Then quickly mute via foot pedal/tuner pedal (this one) and tweak as nessacary. By going with your ears first you will be very close if not spot on. Use same method to get back up to normal tuning. Not bad to practice by ear anyhow. what doesnt kill you ect...

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1468845214' post='3093697']
What's inaccurate about the octave harmonics?
[/quote]The harmonic isn't exactly an octave. The harmonic series progressively drifts from ideal multiples as harmonic numbers increase, because the propagation speed of flexing increases with frequency for real strings. The effect at the octave is very small, but bigger at higher overtones. This is why some strings sound tuneful, and others don't, the same effect is found in bells and windchimes which can sound tuneful or clangy depending on shape and material. Some series of overtones sound good, some bad, and that's all about the non-ideal spacing of harmonics.

LD