Why become a member? ×

Lightweight Gigging Amp

Schnozzalee

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1468881705' post='3094089']
I'm using Streamliner 900 through 2 x Focus 112's. Does it all for me at every gig.

So much so I'm looking to "downgrade" to a Streamliner 600.

[/quote]

Why downgrade?
Is it not better to have the power if needed?
Not being stupid here, genuinely interested

Haha, funnily enough I've got a streamliner 600 that I've never been close to pushing hard through a Genz 212t nx2, yet the irrational part of me wished I had paid the extra £100 for the 900 watt version.

Back to the subject of lightweight gigging amps, the magellan 800 would be a good one if it's an evolution of previous Genz heads. Heard lots of good things about the tecamp/eich heads too.

Ive just picked up a gallien kruegger mb200 which has a good tone in a tiny package if a little light on front panel options, so I'd imagine the mb500 and fusion models would be worth checking out.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1468918118' post='3094234']
Why downgrade?
Is it not better to have the power if needed?
Not being stupid here, genuinely interested
[/quote]

2 x 200 watt cabs.
Despite what The Bass Whisperer says, I would be more comfortable putting 600 watts through them, rather than 900 watts.
Although in reality, my Streamliner hasn't been past 9 o'clock on the master, so really, it's all a bit in my mind :blush:

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1468880830' post='3094077']
Who is this designer JTUK? Spill the beans. :P

Frank.
[/quote]

Not sure he'd want me publishing his off the record views... so I wont unless I ask him
If I see he has said it in print, I'll link it tho..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1469041487' post='3095350']
Not sure he'd want me publishing his off the record views... so I wont unless I ask him
If I see he has said it in print, I'll link it tho..
[/quote]

Thanks. It would be interesting to know.

Frank.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1468769708' post='3093194']
What's the best Lightweight Gigging Amp at the moment? I don't mind if it's a combo or a stack and I'm flexible with my budget.

When I was last playing around 2010, most were choosing a Genz Benz Streamliner w/ Neodynium Cabs and I want to know what the favourite is now?
[/quote]

For some reason, no-one's mentioned the Tecamp Puma yet, so I will. Paired with a couple of Bergantino AE112s, it makes a jolly nice noise, and I'm very happy with Class D.

I've thought this for a while now... But my Demeter is the best I've used (Markbass, Ampeg, and Th500) and including thunder funk which at 18lbs qualifies as lightweight, and to me.
I'm quite happy to do outdoors where you get a chance to drive it and wind the valves up. Just a very sorted piece of kit.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1468869091' post='3093943']
GK MB500...... Played a festival yesterday to 15k people...... plenty of volume through the 2 x 2x12" Aguilars for on stage monitoring. What else do you need?
[/quote]

My MB500 is extremely loud, punchy and extremely light.

The best? Who knows. Take your pick.

I wouldn't buy an Ampeg PF500 because of the issues they had, which I'm sure have been fixed by now, but all the units that had "issues" are still circulating. Apart from that, I don't think there is a bad amp on the market these days.

Amps I know and getting good reviews; TH500, TH530, Mesa D800, Genzler Magellan. . . plus what everyone else has suggested will also be good.
Cabs: I'd look at getting 2 112 neo cabs.

I'd recommend separates because you can upgrade more easily.

Had a few class D amps, markbass and genz benz. Even the supposedly mighty streamliner 900 sounded like heavy plastic compared to my SS and Walkabout mainly. I am convinced that the widespread generation of smps-class d amps are not suited for bass guitar amplification, whilst being a contemporary standard for FOH and other applications, but only because obtaining 5000 watts of pure class AB is now unacceptable. Massive weight, I have zero doubts that a conventional high power SS stage would be better even for sound reinforcement, but in these days carrying lightweight high power gear has raised the bar forever.
For bass...still no. Waiting to try the newer class D dudes like B amp, glock etc etc but I'm so tired of these anemic boxes that
I have no urge to do it

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1470499472' post='3106422']
Good to know I have a heavy plastic anaemic sound :mellow: . Epic fail after over 40 years of gigging. I must learn more.
[/quote]

I suppose plastic is a step up from wool? But not as good as wooden... probably.

I'm still LOVING the Puma 900 btw, there's nothing I don't like about it. Maybe it's just a particularly good pairing with the Vanderkley, but the EQ points are spot on and I don't think anyone would describe that setup as thin/anaemic/plastic or similar.

Edited by M@23

[quote name='sratas' timestamp='1470482882' post='3106302']
Had a few class D amps, markbass and genz benz. Even the supposedly mighty streamliner 900 sounded like heavy plastic compared to my SS and Walkabout mainly. I am convinced that the widespread generation of smps-class d amps are not suited for bass guitar amplification, whilst being a contemporary standard for FOH and other applications, but only because obtaining 5000 watts of pure class AB is now unacceptable. Massive weight, I have zero doubts that a conventional high power SS stage would be better even for sound reinforcement, but in these days carrying lightweight high power gear has raised the bar forever.
For bass...still no. Waiting to try the newer class D dudes like B amp, glock etc etc but I'm so tired of these anemic boxes that
I have no urge to do it
[/quote]

Seriously - check out the HandBox R-400. It made me sell my Walkabout.

My Markbass TTE801 isn't heavy but it is fairly big. The sound is[b] really [/b]good though.
I've not tried a ICE module based head that I liked yet so I'm really interested in the Quilter 800 that should be out soon. Their own power amp design (like Markbass) with an interesting preamp layout. Might make a nice backup.