Why become a member? ×

Removing Machine Head Ferrules???

Deedee

Does anyone have any tips or tricks on the best method of removing stubborn machine head ferrules?

I'm in the process of changing mine on my Fender P and they really don't want to budge 😡. The new Wilkinson tuners that I'm fitting are a little too slack to use with the original ferrules.

Edited by Deedee

[quote name='Deedee' timestamp='1468585988' post='3091956']
The problem is the ferrule is flush with the wood I.e. the outer peg hole has been rebated to take the ferrule. Therefore the ferrule doesn't protrude so there's no visible edge to knock on to.
[/quote]

I've had one like that before. I used a tapered piece of dowel, a bit like one of those gauges Jewellers use for sizing rings. It fitted inside the ferrule and a gentle knock with a rubber mallet was enough to dislodge it.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1468594835' post='3092043']
As Grangur says tap the dowel in from the rear of the headstock
[/quote]
Exactly. Don't go digging under the rim of the ferrule - you;ll wreck the surface of the wood.
Take the tuner off, turn the neck over and the ferrule will be deep in the hole. Simply slide the knocking device into the hole - it should be about 19mm diameter. it will then sit on top of the back of the ferrule. Then tap the knocking stick. There's a lot of things that will work. I've even done it with the blade of a large screwdriver - not ideal as it might damage the top of the edge.

As I previously stated, there is no accessible 'back' of the ferrules as they are flush with the wood I.e. the diameter of the hole in the back of the headstock is equal to the internal diameter of the ferrules - they are flush!

Anyhoo, panic over as the perceived slack when offering the new Wilkinson tuners up into the existing ferrules wasn't as bad as I first thought. Fitted them and played with the bass tonight and they worked a treat, nice and smooth and precise.

Cheers all

• 1 month later...

I had a similar problem and the replacement ferrules were a tad too wide, so I gently ground the holes to enlarge them. Of course, my hand slipped once or twice and now the ferrules are sitting loose enough to be pressed out by the string tension that pulls the tuner pegs towards the bridge. I will try to use a two part epoxy putty (and/or two part epoxy glue) to fill the holes again and fix this as I'm really not in the mood for filling and re-drilling the holes. Anyone tried this method?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Immo' timestamp='1471521338' post='3113624']
I had a similar problem and the replacement ferrules were a tad too wide, so I gently ground the holes to enlarge them. Of course, my hand slipped once or twice and now the ferrules are sitting loose enough to be pressed out by the string tension that pulls the tuner pegs towards the bridge. I will try to use a two part epoxy putty (and/or two part epoxy glue) to fill the holes again and fix this as I'm really not in the mood for filling and re-drilling the holes. Anyone tried this method?
[/quote]

I'd try wrapping some tape round the ferrule to increase the size a bit and see if that holds it.