Why become a member? ×

What Multi Power Supply to get for under £30????

MarkG3

Any ideas? Mine has just died so need another one. Looking for one with at least 9 pedals being plugged into it. I dont mean the plug where the wire daisy chains, I mean where all your pedals plug into a power box.

I've seen a lot of the same power boxes on ebay but a bit wary about them

Thanks

Ah ok I didn't know that.

I would say I would go for it but need more than 5 points, but looks like HB do one for £33 with more power points. Thank you though!

https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant.htm

Edited by MarkG3

Note the difference between the HB powerplant Junior and the HB powerplant, is that the former, cheaper one is isolated outputs, and the bigger one isn't. That might not be of an issue for you but I had to get the junior to connect two digital effects without noise.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1468422012' post='3090832']
For £30 the box models will just be a daisy chain in the box. They won't have isolated outputs.

Can be fine if your pedals aren't noisy though.
[/quote]

Yes. The descriptions can be 'tricky' (as in misleading) as sometimes a supply is described by the seller as 'isolated'.
But often the outputs aren't isolated in the proper sense of being galvanically isolated from each other.
But the outputs may have individual short circuit / overload protection ie if one output is short circuited or overloaded that output will drop but the others remain okay.
For good noise immunity you need proper isolation.

Hb junior is the only one i found that was isolated outputs... it's only 5 (Or 6 maybe ... can't remember ) though. Saying that... you can easily daisy chain a few of your less noisy pedals to make it up to your 8.

Doubt you'll find what your wanting for less than 30 quid.

Edited by lefrash

What about this? :[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Isolated-Power-Supply-Output-for-9V-12V-18V-Guitar-Effect-Pedal-Board-UK-Plug-/291671000914?hash=item43e8f24752:g:93IAAOSwzhVWqDf7"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Isolated-Power-Supply-Output-for-9V-12V-18V-Guitar-Effect-Pedal-Board-UK-Plug-/291671000914?hash=item43e8f24752:g:93IAAOSwzhVWqDf7[/url]

I've been eyeing it... Thinking its probably too good to be true, could always send it back if it is i guess... you try it first and let me know... ;) :D

I have used the HB Powerplant for a few years now and haven't found it to be noisey at all, even for recording, have run upto 6 pedals only on it.
The only drawback is that it is pretty heavy and a brick of a thing.
I also have something like Panamonte has linked to but that runs 5, 9v and 5, 18v. It's a lot lighter and been reliable as well.

I've used one of the Caline PSUs from eBay for about a year now and it's been pretty good and fairly quiet until a couple of weeks ago when I started getting a really loud hum. I think it may actually be a fault with the power pack itself but seeing as I've just down-scaled my board to just tuner/compressor/overdrive/octaver/clean boost recently, I'm probably just gonna get one of the Harley Benton Junior units to replace it.

Edited by Painy

That power supply looks a LOT like the Donner DP-2 that I selected for my pedalboard. It was $50US, but has 6 100mA 9V ports, 2 500mA 9V ports, as well as a 12V and 18V port (both at 500mA). I am using all the ports except the 18V to full effect. For me, it had better specs than the hyped products (VL especially) and at a fraction of the cost. All I had to give up was "true" isolation, which my pedals don't seem to need anyway.