Why become a member? ×

Ever fallen off the stage ?

luckydog

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1468255300' post='3089616']
In an excess of enthusiasm I once stage-dove at an awards dinner at the Grosvenor House hotel. Took out a whole 12-setting table and damaged my knee so badly as to need a stick for three months.

Sigh :rolleyes:
[/quote]Man, that is funny (except for the knee)! :D :D :D

Edited by luckydog

In Wigan I tried to climb up to the stage by placing my foot on a monitor wedge, which promptly flipped over and I fell onto the floor. I was probably only a foot off the ground, fell backwards and I landed on my right arm.

It hurt, and caused the band much mirth. Over the next 2 hours it started to swell but I restrung a few guitars (rotating it repeatedly), played the gig, loaded afterwards, drove home and unloaded. I couldn't sleep because of the pain so caught a cab to the hospital... broken elbow.

This is me on stage during the gig.

10th December '94 at The Old Angel in Nottingham. I fell offstage drunkenly adjusting my backing vocal mic before we had hit the first note. In fact the first note was me landing on my P-bass! Arguably the biggest cheer of the night and the end to a great tour. I'm strangely proud whilst not wishing to repeat the incident.

[quote name='DanOwens' timestamp='1468256344' post='3089628']
In Wigan I tried to climb up to the stage by placing my foot on a monitor wedge, which promptly flipped over and I fell onto the floor. I was probably only a foot off the ground, fell backwards and I landed on my right arm.

It hurt, and caused the band much mirth. Over the next 2 hours it started to swell but I restrung a few guitars (rotating it repeatedly), played the gig, loaded afterwards, drove home and unloaded. I couldn't sleep because of the pain so caught a cab to the hospital... broken elbow.

[/quote]

I feel your pain...I did something similar recently - 20 minutes before stagetime, I was hanging our backdrop up and standing on a small barstool. I overbalanced and landed on my arm. Much shame and soreness. Did the gig, loaded up drove home, considering popping in to A&E. "It'll be better in the morning", I thought -I took a couple of paracetamol and went to bed. In the morning it wasn't better - off to the hospital I went. Yup...cracked bone just below my elbow. Plaster for a week and not able to turn my wrist without nasty twinges. Fortunately I was able to play Bass once the plaster was off and no problems driving, so I only missed one gig. I'm still a bit sore over a month later, but it's getting better every day - just not fast enough!

I did sound for a band at the Bull and Gate in Kentish Town many years back, I can't remember who the headline band were but the singer climbed up a speaker stack that had 3 televisions stacked on top to grab hold of a beam that must have been a good 15ft above the stage, he managed to topple the 3 TV's off the side of stage and was left dangling in mid air, Cue the end of the gig, a very very annoyed sound engineer, a rush to find a step ladder to rescue the dangling singer and I imagine a bill to replace 3 TV's.

The exuberance of youth :lol:

What I've found so far is that band members care about collateral damage to the gear, but women who don't know you show some affection and empathy for the compression bandages and want to talk to you about it with double interest when you say you fell off stage. It's in the balance.

LD