Why become a member? ×

Ever fallen off the stage ?

luckydog

I woke up this morning with pains in places I never knew I had places, and remembered grimly I had fallen off the stage yesterday. Very rock & roll. Except it happened packing up after the gig. I stepped backwards, carrying some gear, people saw it said I did a half twist in the air and landed on my side on top of the gear, otherwise could have been pretty nasty. As it happens, checking the damage this morning my left hand is sore and badly swollen above the middle metacarpels, left shin cut and bruised, sore back and more importantly pride is shattered ! I'll spend most of the day in A&E today getting a hand x-ray I expect..........

I don't suggest trying it (!), but ever fallen off the stage or seen it done?

LD

Sorry to hear you got hurt.

I've never fallen off stage but my bass drum and two toms did in 1970, hit a girl on the head who was sitting on the floor in front of the stage and she got carried out on a stretcher by St. John's ambulance.

Years ago in the era of rocking with curly leads, the front line of the band decided to "flash it up a bit" and all jump forward off the stage at the same time during a song.

Us guitarists both had nice long straight leads, but the bass player had a short curly lead....

Flat on his back on the floor after the lead jerked him up wayyyy short. How we giggled....
Happily both bass and amplifier survived. Bass player was never the same after that though.

In a moment of youthful exuberance I lept off the stage, executed a perfect scissor kick and smacked my head against a low beam. No blood, but I was a bit fuzzy for the next couple of songs with mild concussion.

I did once look behind me just in time to see the drummer disappear down the gap at the back of the stage along with his drum stool and whatever bits of kit he tried to grab on his way down. Luckily it was only a couple of feet drop

Remember the Rock Garden? underneath what is now the Apple Shop on the piazza in Covent Garden. After a sound check there I exuberantl jumped off stage, and in mid air crack my head on one of the overhead monitors.

Feeling a bit woozy (it was bleeding a bit) I went outside for some fresh air and sat down on the kerb at the side of the market. And got sh@t on by a pigeon

Edited by toneknob

I've fallen off several stages. Most memorable was at a local inner festival when I stepped back and dropped between the edge of the stage and an adjacent wall. Drummer was well impressed as apparently I didn't miss a single note!

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1468228573' post='3089323']
Remember the Rock Garden?
[/quote]

Yes! How long has that been gone?? Life is short.

Edit: Just Googled it. It's been closed for EIGHT YEARS. :blink:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1468228544' post='3089321']
Yep, if you search youtube for "Bass player falls off stage" I am the one with green strings. To be honest it is very funny.
[/quote]

Haha beautifully done. No injuries I hope?

It was in the Red Lion in Gravesend in 1980 something. As we came to the last note of the song, the guitarist raises his leg high for the dynamic last chord. However, everyone else could see that when he played the chord and brought his leg down again, it would miss the stage by quite a way. Tried to tell him but he wouldn't listen. He played the last chord, brought his leg down onto nothing and flew off the stage. How we laughed! He was OK though, just his pride was hurt, oh and he split the knee of his best patchwork trousers.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1468230221' post='3089345']
Yes! How long has that been gone?? Life is short.

Edit: Just Googled it. It's been closed for EIGHT YEARS. :blink:
[/quote]

really? I never noticed :) My monitor/pigeon incident would've been in the mid-90s by the way. You could drive all the way down James St to the piazza then, I seem to remember.

Frank Zappa, ouch!

[url="http://ultimateclassicrock.com/41-years-ago-frank-zappa-pushed-off-stage-in-london/"]http://ultimateclass...tage-in-london/[/url]

This is apparently the reason for the 'one of my legs is shorter than the other' line in Dancin' Fool.

Edited by lowland

Whilst packing up after a gig I tried to jump onto the stage but didn't quite get my foot high enough. I scraped the whole length of my shin against the edge of the stage. Stinging rawness followed by aching scabbiness. Ouch.

I haven't fallen off a stage, but a did once smack my head against a scanner at the side of the stage. I bled like a pig for the whole of the gig. Doesn't the guy from Flaming Lips do that... or maybe John Otway after "givin' it 'eadbuts".

Yep, if you search youtube for "Bass player falls off stage" I am the one with green strings. To be honest it is very funny.
[/quote]

Very funny! :D

… hope you were ok :ph34r:

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1468223635' post='3089265']
Hope it doesn't turn out to be too serious mate. That's probably lucky, injury-wise, for a band that carts a Hammond and Leslie cab about! (trying to be positive here!)
MBA
[/quote]Thanks MBA. Irony is, I was carrying the Nord we use for piano.........always thought it would be the Hammond that got me, but no it was the Nord. If it had been the Hammond or Leslie, I would be playing the great gig in the sky for sure...... but we're always aware and so careful of that, and then the lightweight great grandson got me ! Having made sure I was still breathing, there was more concern from the band about damage to the Nord :blush: In mid air apparently I flipped the keyboard over and landed on it, trapping my left hand between it and the floor ! Moral is: stick to Hammonds, they're safer to shift.

LD

[/quote]

Brilliant. That's right up there with Del Boy falling through the bar for me!....