Why become a member? ×

What is it with singers and sore throats?

thebrig

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]Our frontman has cried off from [/color][/font][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]our gig tonight[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] with a viral throat infection, rather than cancel, our drummer who normally does backing vocals is going to take on the lead vocals,[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] he is a decent singer and can drum at the same time, but he's had no time to prepare so we will just have to do our best, I've contacted the venue and they are fine with it, they are just glad the show can go ahead.[/font][/color]

[size=4][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]But what is it with singers/vocalists crying off with sore throats, I've played in about ten bands over the years, and I think I can honestly say that every single frontman in those bands has cried off at least once from a gig with a sore throat, obviously we have to take their word for it, but I do sometimes think that it could be their version of the "bad back" that some people use when they want a day off work.[/font][/color][/size]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]Of course if they really do have a sore throat, then I do realise that they can't really do anything other than cry off, but there's also been countless times when we've had a text from the singer about an hour before rehearsal to say he/she won't be there due to a tickly throat, they seem to have more sore throats than the rest of band put [/color][/font][font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]together.[/color][/font]

[size=4][font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]Am I being a bit harsh, or have I just been [/color][/font][/size][font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]unlucky with singers? :mellow:[/color][/font]

our singer is always moaning about his throat, but he is a hypochondriac, he seems to get about 5 times as many colds as anybody else which always go to his chest, always saying he doesn't know whether he can get through the gig, we just ignore him now, he's an attention seeker which is why he's such a good front man, he's never pulled out of a gig in 10 years, but of of these days he'll really mean it.
Don't get me wrong I like the bloke I've known him for years, his has limitless enthusiasm, I guess we've all got faults, some faults you can put up with and some you can't, can't stand disloyalty myself

OK - I'm a 'classically' trained singer (but amateur). I don't do solo.... A lot of singers (not all) have no proper training in technique, which leads to straining of the vocal chords (in brief - tuned shouting rather than proper controlled vocal production). This means that the voice tires very quickly and is easily strained. So one option, is that their voice just isn't very robust due to poor technique. Thi can explain lots of sore throats etc.

Alternatively, they've picked up a bug and you can't sing if you've got one - and there are plenty of those aroudn at the moment.

We're out as a 3 piece tonight for the same reason. No fault of her own but our singer can barely speak and is having coughing fits. Done it a few times to gig when not everyone was available, it's scary but really enjoyable and you really have to focus. I'm sure you'll be ace, enjoy it 😃

Andy

[quote name='zbd1960' timestamp='1468086001' post='3088553']
OK - I'm a 'classically' trained singer (but amateur). I don't do solo.... A lot of singers (not all) have no proper training in technique, which leads to straining of the vocal chords (in brief - tuned shouting rather than proper controlled vocal production). This means that the voice tires very quickly and is easily strained. So one option, is that their voice just isn't very robust due to poor technique. This can explain lots of sore throats etc.
[/quote]Our singer, who also plays in three other bands, was always nursing throat problems. She then went for vocal training and hasn't suffered since.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1468090357' post='3088577']
Our singer, who also plays in three other bands, was always nursing throat problems. She then went for vocal training and hasn't suffered since.
[/quote]

I had one (count it: 1) singing lesson and that made a massive difference to how I use my voice.

Interesting comments above. I didn't start singing until I was in my 30s and I then started lessons with a retired opera singer (counter tenor) who had morphed into the head of a music service.

Long story short: poor technique results in tightening of muscles, restricts air flow, and the tight muscles tire quickly, leading to strain, hoarseness etc. Proper breathing, relaxed stance/posture, and relaxed, open airway = being able to sing comfortably for long periods (with practice).

Persistent poor technique can lead to permanent damage.

Even though an amateur, I can sing in a 3 hours rehearsal and then do a 2 hour concert same day. I've done summer schools where I have had to sing for about 6 hours during a 10 hour 'day' for a week.

Edited by zbd1960

OK - I'm a 'classically' trained singer (but amateur). I don't do solo.... A lot of singers (not all) have no proper training in technique, which leads to straining of the vocal chords (in brief - tuned shouting rather than proper controlled vocal production). This means that the voice tires very quickly and is easily strained. So one option, is that their voice just isn't very robust due to poor technique. Thi can explain lots of sore throats etc.

Alternatively, they've picked up a bug and you can't sing if you've got one - and there are plenty of those aroudn at the moment.
[/quote]

This. Strained muscles, leading to decreasing vocal ability, leading to further strain and progressing in a vicious circle. The strained soft tissue becomes inflamed and sore, also making the area susceptible to infection. Vocal lessons are the kiddie

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1468084255' post='3088546']
I've never had a run of bad luck like you, but if your singer does have a viral throat infection, what else can he/she do but blow out the gig? 'Crying off' seems a little unfair!
[/quote]When I say "cry off" I meant it as a loose term for not being able to fulfil the gig/rehearsal, I didn't mean they are faking it on anything like that, and I did say that if they really are suffering, then there's not much they can do about it.

I'm really asking the question in a light-hearted manner, it's not meant to have a real dig at singers. ;)

Well we did the gig last night and it went down really well, our drummer was amazing, and the good thing to come from it is that we now know that we have TWO excellent vocalists in our band, which means we are very versatile and should be able to fulfil most gigs barring the whole band going down with something all at once. :)

[quote name='herman' timestamp='1468153871' post='3088865']
The singer of our band had a sore throat once every 4 to 6 weeks which was annoying, but what really annoyed me was that she couldn't sing any of the set list without the lyrics in front of her!!!
[/quote]

I had no idea that a throat infection could affect memory. Well, you learn something new every day. ;)

I'm the vocalist in a few bands, and it drives me nuts. I actually hate being a singer instead of being 'just' the bassist. Simply cause I seem to be thinking/worrying about my throat 24/7.
I went through a phase of contracting everything going. Especially in the early days of singing. As my technique has Improved its less of an issue. I did do a show once when I shouldn't have, and I did end up looking up silly, cold sweats etc on stage. Not cool

Edited by gafbass02

In support of singers, how many of us have gone to a gig under the weather and just got through it to keep a commitment, playing a set on an instrument with a virus or bug is one thing, but to front it out and need to sound good is another.

Having said that singers know what they are getting into, they need to man or woman up sometimes and do a show under par, but there must come a point where it cant be possible.

To stand up for singers (and brass/woodwind players) if you're feeling sh*t, especially in the throat/lungs area then an essential part of your instrument is malfunctioning, and there's not a lot you can do about it (live in a bubble?). If you're a bassist, drummer, guitarist, keys etc. then you can feel sh*t but it doesn't affect your fundamental sound.

I wonder if on "Singchat" they moan about bassists who cry off because of a broken wrist etc. with the comment that they've sung with their arm in plaster?

EDIT: It seems that great minds think alike Iojo, and apparently at the same time as well!

Edited by Count Bassy

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1468150366' post='3088832']
Well we did the gig last night and it went down really well, our drummer was amazing, and the good thing to come from it is that we now know that we have TWO excellent vocalists in our band, which means we are very versatile and should be able to fulfil most gigs barring the whole band going down with something all at once. :)
[/quote]

Good innit? 😃

[/quote]

That's what I was going to say, there's a difference between a singer, and someone who can sing. Trained singers that I've worked with spend time slowly warming up before a performance, a bit like an athlete I guess.

I'm the lead singer in our band, I've been lucky so far but live in constant fear of getting a throat or chest infection before a gig-I'm quite sure I couldn't have sung on numerous occasions. It's just not physically possible, I'd hate to blow out a gig but if I can't do it, I can't do it. I did a gig while back whilst getting over a cold, a week earlier it would have been out of the question, as it was people were asking if we had a different singer to last time.