Why become a member? ×

JACK 12 LITE BUILD

bertbass

He looks just like you, Tel! :D

Look forward to hearing the results at a gig. These cabs are very clear on stage and you can hear them from wherever you are in the room, dispersion is excellent. You can in fact load them with low end, but they are quite mid-forward as said above - however this means you will be heard live regardless. The best amp I used with them was a Burman 100W all-valve set-up, that was wicked.

I used ONE J12 in a 9-piece Stax/Mowtown function band with three-piece horn section, three singers, drums and guitar and it was more than adequate. I used it at a NYE gig at the Grosvenor House Hotel Ballroom (not a small room) and it was brilliant. This with a Markbass LM250 at 8ohms and the Kappalite 3012HO. Great cabs.

Thanks for that Mark,

You're right, the Jacks truly are amazing cabs. I had 2 x Jack 15s before I bought my 69er and the certainly filled the room and sounded the same wherever you were. Even the rest of the banded commented on how good they were, and they don't notice anything normally.

Should we say that heft is certainly present and that they're great for metal as well?

If you think that young Tom looks like me, how about this:

[attachment=223587:tom-or-me.gif]

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1468673812' post='3092550']
Should we say that heft is certainly present and that they're great for metal as well?
[/quote]

Hee, hee. Chip off the old block there for sure.
Given the right amp, the 'heft' bit isn't a problem. I'd say there's 'slam' in there, too. ;)

Well, the weekend has been and gone and I'm a very happy bunny, well nearly anyway.

Saturday night, was that hot or what! Used the Jacks for bass instead of my normal 6x10. I'm normally pretty happy with my sound but suddenly I'm not. The Jacks were just tremendous. My sound was just bigger, fuller and more audible everywhere. The other guys commented, yes they actually noticed, that my sound was way better than normal and that they could actually hear what I was playing for a change. Even our crew noticed a difference and that's saying something.

The Jacks take a bit of EQing to get right but that didn't take that long and they're so much more efficient.

On to Sunday afternoon, was that hot or what! The Jacks are now being used for P.A. I EQed them flat from the frequency response graphs using my trusty graphic and used the channel EQs to get the mics right. They sounded mighty. Vocals clear and prominent and in-between sets music sounded superb. We received many unsolicited compliments on the sound of the P.A.

The good news is that the Pyle drivers are excellent, no complaints at all. They're not as efficient as some drivers but they easily kept up with the 12s so no messing around trying to balance the 12s to the horns.

Our crew is chuffed to bits with the cabs as well. They're so light they're a joy to carry.

These cabs truly are a Jack of all trades but also a master at everything.

Why am I only nearly a happy bunny? Because I've only built one pair and these were for P.A. use, These will also replace the Otop 12s when we use the 'BIG' P.A. so I'll have to save hard and build another pair for bass.

The kit of laser cut parts for a Jack 12 Lite is now available to order.

If you've never built a speaker cabinet before or think you haven't got the DIY ability to build a cab, if you want a superb sounding, top of the range cab at a fraction of the cost, if you need a cab in a hurry and haven't got time to source the materials and cut it all to size, if you can assemble Lego, if you want a cab that's not only easy to build but is so light that a 4 year old can carry it, then P.M. me for prices and options.

That all sounds mega Tel, though I'm not surprised. If you remember, when I built my first J12 I was stunned and ranted on telling anyone who'd listen how good it was.

Of course one has to experience it oneself to understand what one is dealing with here, like anything else.

Best cabs I've used live were my two J12s. However at 18kg each they weren't all that convenient and the dimensions made them a little unwieldy in the car.

However... that's all changed now... PM sent. :)

Edited by discreet

I remember it well and your second.

I remember my 2 Jack 15 cabs as well, truly mega but a bit on the heavy side and awkward. I suppose in retrospect, I could have used just one of them but then what's the point of having 2.

What really brings home how good the Jacks actually are is when you go walkabouts on wireless and hear 'your sound' from the audience, it's everywhere you go. The same sound everywhere. No treble missing 'cause you're not in front of the cab and no diminishing of quality of sound over distance.

They have to be heard and used to be believed. A true leap of faith but well worth taking that leap!

Here's a photo of the Jacks on stands being used for P.A. Pay special attention to our 'very happy' crew, our Tim sat on the front of the stage. He loves the Jack 12 Lites because they're so light! So easy to put on the stands he said.

[attachment=223884:JACKS-IN-USE.gif]

If you look carefully you can see Wedgehorns 6s on the front of the stage. Foldback has never been so good!

Edited by bertbass

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Mine took a 5 x 5 ft sheet of ply each. The decent Baltic birch 15mm ply. Mine cost me about $450 each in materials, so that's about 250 pounds. They are astonishing cabs (with the right driver). I sold my GK 115RBH and 410RBH because these perform better than those, in all departments! I used 3012HO drivers (I think 400 watts each). I used Eminence BGH-25 horn and built the recommended crossover. I do have to back off my treble because the clarity is astounding.

• 4 weeks later...