Why become a member? ×

Cliff Williams is retiring from AC/DC

Bassman Sam

Cliff has said that when this tour finishes, he's hanging up the bass. He's been a solid player and will be missed but I can't say that I blame him. I hope the band retires now instead of becoming their own tribute band.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/acdc-cliff-williams-retirement/?trackback=fbshare_mobile_top

I'm thinking Angus Young will do what suits him..altho since he can't need the money..?? so he will continue if he wants to?
They couldn't pull out of the tour when Brian Johnson couldn't continue... so the decision will be purely financial and since it is such
big business, I'm sure there will be a lot of pressure to do another one..
If people didn't buy tickets it would stop right now,.... but people are buying a lot of tickets.
Mind you, they must all be over 70 now..??? and who is left anyway..?

I read on the t'interweb that Brian Johnson may be able to gig again due to new developments in in-ear monitors. I wonder if he will be welcomed back to AC/DC or if Arsehole Rose will get the gig full time. If it's Rose then I can see why Cliff wants out.

Angus is the only one left from the 1970s line-ups now. Chris Slade, who replaced Phil Rudd on skins following his, ahem, legal issues, was with them for a few years in the late 80s/early 90s. Stevie Young, who replaced his Uncle Malcolm, had stood in for him in 1988 as well. At 60 years old, he's just a year younger than his Uncle Angus!

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1467918916' post='3087356']
I read on the t'interweb that Brian Johnson may be able to gig again due to new developments in in-ear monitors. I wonder if he will be welcomed back to AC/DC or if Arsehole Rose will get the gig full time. If it's Rose then I can see why Cliff wants out.
[/quote]

I'd heard from a pretty sound source that Brian's departure was as much about money/gig receipt arguments with Angus as it was about his hearing loss. Cliff's decision makes me think that Brian's return to the fold is probably pretty unlikely.

[quote name='sharkboy' timestamp='1467919276' post='3087366']
I'd heard from a pretty sound source that Brian's departure was as much about money/gig receipt arguments with Angus as it was about his hearing loss. Cliff's decision makes me think that Brian's return to the fold is probably pretty unlikely.
[/quote]

As in the ball was rolling and there was no way it could be cancelled...if he couldn't do it, then they'd get someone else.
The penalties would have been horrendous..which was probably the same trick they used on Rose..
the penaties for cancelling would have be at his door if he had caused any gigs to be cancelled.
Plain old business lock down when there is so much money at stake..

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1467919453' post='3087371']
A bit cruel Bilbo.
[/quote]

Yes.
It's pretty hard to try replicate his playing, without over playing and throwing in too many flourishes that take away from the original feel.
I think he is pretty disciplined and in the pocket all night. :)

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1467921512' post='3087389']
Yes.
It's pretty hard to try replicate his playing, without over playing and throwing in too many flourishes that take away from the original feel.
I think he is pretty disciplined and in the pocket all night. :)
[/quote]

Agree, it must take a hell of a lot of discipline to have to hang back so far for a whole gig. Easy to play in terms of one song, must be a bind to have to do it for some 2/3 hours.

Borrowing a plot previously shown elsewhere :mellow: Brian and Cliff will start AC/DC regenerated / rectified / full wave / 3 phase or whatever. There will then be prolonged legal battles between all parties upon which ten years later a sell out re-union tour will be needed to pay the legal costs. :)

Edited by 3below

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1467926562' post='3087450']
Borrowing a plot previously shown elsewhere :mellow: Brian and Cliff will start AC/DC regenerated / rectified / full wave / 3 phase or whatever. There will then be prolonged legal battles between all parties upon which ten years later a sell out re-union tour will be needed to pay the legal costs. :)
[/quote]

Really? Any links? Not surprised though. It seems to me that Angus is the controlling one . Look how he treated Brian Johnson after all these years of service.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1467927349' post='3087453']

Really? Any links? Not surprised though. It seems to me that Angus is the controlling one . Look how he treated Brian Johnson after all these years of service.
[/quote]

No links, no reality, just a thought based on what has happened with many bands at the end of the line.

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1467921380' post='3087388']
My prediction is that AC/DC will be finished and then Angus will release a solo album that sounds exactly like AC/DC :D
[/quote]

...under the artist name "AC/DC"...

Shame, this means that Angus and Axyl are the only original members left in the band. ;-)

Edited by TrevorR

Did anyone see the BBC4 doc on the Aussie pop scene and the Young family dynasty's shaping of it? I can't help thinking that there's a "keep making money for the family business at all costs" ethic at play here...

Cliff and Phil were the best. Cliff, Phil and Malcolm were amazing together, considering the style isn't exactly rocket science. If I were Cliff I'd have gone when those guys did.

Angus would be a star on his own - now he'll get to do exactly that and I suspect it will work out for him.

I've been a big fan since the early days, but it's truly sad to see it come apart like this. As was said earlier, they should have called if off several records ago.