Why become a member? ×

Compressor set up help.

waynepunkdude

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='302297' date='Oct 8 2008, 04:01 PM']I've been using a 3630 for the last 7 years, and I didn't understand it either. :) Do what I did Wayne-take it into a spare bedroom and plug things into things until it does what you want. :huh: It must be a resilient unit, because I haven't been able to blow it up yet. :huh:[/quote]

options are

1. bass goes to compressor goes to input on bass. with the tuner on the preamp out of the amp.

2. bass into amp,effects loop to the compressor with the tuner on the preamp out.

It depends on the amp, if the effects loop is in parallel then you will have a clean and compressed signal running which will make the compressor kinda pointless. If its in series then it would work better. What model of amp is it?

Archetype

[quote name='Archetype' post='303176' date='Oct 9 2008, 05:22 PM']options are

1. bass goes to compressor goes to input on bass. with the tuner on the preamp out of the amp.

2. bass into amp,effects loop to the compressor with the tuner on the preamp out.

It depends on the amp, if the effects loop is in parallel then you will have a clean and compressed signal running which will make the compressor kinda pointless. If its in series then it would work better. What model of amp is it?

Archetype[/quote]

"tuner on the preamp out of the amp?" :)

"effects loop?" :huh:

"tuner on the preamp out?" :huh:

"if the effects loop is in parallel, then you would have a clean and compressed signal.....?" :huh:

It sounds VERY impressive, but what does it all mean? You have absolutely no idea how thick I feel, when I don't have a CLUE what you're talking about, do you? :unsure:

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='303397' date='Oct 9 2008, 10:51 PM']"tuner on the preamp out of the amp?" :)

"effects loop?" :huh:

"tuner on the preamp out?" :huh:

"if the effects loop is in parallel, then you would have a clean and compressed signal.....?" :huh:

It sounds VERY impressive, but what does it all mean? You have absolutely no idea how thick I feel, when I don't have a CLUE what you're talking about, do you? :unsure:[/quote]

Then lets make everything simple :lol:

what model of amp is it? that way i can have a look and find the info i need for you.

Archetype

Sorry, me old mucker. I seem to have hi-jacked Waynes thread here. :lol: I'm happy with my set-up, and I got everything working the way I wanted by the "try it, and if it doesn't go BANG! it works" method. :huh: I was just telling Wayne that he wasn't the only one to suffer from a type of "word blindness" when someone is describing an easy (to them) way of sorting something out. :huh: It seems that Wayne and I have the same type of problem-show me a picture, or show me how to do it-sorted. Use words of which I have no conception of their meaning-panic! I don't actually think we are thick, it's just that if you have no idea what something is, there's no way you can envisage utilising it, therefore a "middle ground" has to be found.
I wasn't getting at you personally, or anyone else on this site, as I've found us all to be an extremely helpful bunch, but just as an example from an earlier post-[i]In that case you would need to use a 'stereo' or more accurately TRS jack at the sending end and connect the tip to the ring to link the signal through the socket. Same as you would do to use a mixer insert as a Direct Output (eg for sending to a PC/Recording Device) and still have the signal go through the channel. Easy enough to wire up.[/i] What the heck does that all mean? To someone who uses electrickery a lot, it probably IS easy to wire up, but to me??? :)
Silly things (to you) like the difference between parallel and series wiring remain a mystery to a numpty like me. The diagrams look pretty, but when I look at speaker configurations in the back of a cabinet, I seriously cant tell the diffference-it's all spaghetti. :unsure:
RTFM!!! doesn't help much either. When I first got my 3630, it rambled on about "sidechains" and "stereo recording" and "signal differentials" and "twin channel outputs into two amplifiers" and the like. About as helpful as a chocolate fireguard to someone who had no intention of utilising any of these, so I plugged it in on one channel and turned the knobs until it got the sound I wanted. Not very scientific, I know, but it worked. I didn't want a tuner in the "chain of command" so I didn't bother plugging it in, which makes me of no use to Wayne whatsoever. :huh:
Sorry for the rambling post, but please keep trying to find "the middle ground" where everyone can benefit from the knowledge that is so obviously present in this sites members. :lol:

• 1 month later...

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='303696' date='Oct 10 2008, 10:04 AM']Sorry, me old mucker. I seem to have hi-jacked Waynes thread here. :huh: I'm happy with my set-up, and I got everything working the way I wanted by the "try it, and if it doesn't go BANG! it works" method. :huh: I was just telling Wayne that he wasn't the only one to suffer from a type of "word blindness" when someone is describing an easy (to them) way of sorting something out. :huh: It seems that Wayne and I have the same type of problem-show me a picture, or show me how to do it-sorted. Use words of which I have no conception of their meaning-panic! I don't actually think we are thick, it's just that if you have no idea what something is, there's no way you can envisage utilising it, therefore a "middle ground" has to be found.
I wasn't getting at you personally, or anyone else on this site, as I've found us all to be an extremely helpful bunch, but just as an example from an earlier post-[i]In that case you would need to use a 'stereo' or more accurately TRS jack at the sending end and connect the tip to the ring to link the signal through the socket. Same as you would do to use a mixer insert as a Direct Output (eg for sending to a PC/Recording Device) and still have the signal go through the channel. Easy enough to wire up.[/i] What the heck does that all mean? To someone who uses electrickery a lot, it probably IS easy to wire up, but to me??? :)
Silly things (to you) like the difference between parallel and series wiring remain a mystery to a numpty like me. The diagrams look pretty, but when I look at speaker configurations in the back of a cabinet, I seriously cant tell the diffference-it's all spaghetti. :huh:
RTFM!!! doesn't help much either. When I first got my 3630, it rambled on about "sidechains" and "stereo recording" and "signal differentials" and "twin channel outputs into two amplifiers" and the like. About as helpful as a chocolate fireguard to someone who had no intention of utilising any of these, so I plugged it in on one channel and turned the knobs until it got the sound I wanted. Not very scientific, I know, but it worked. I didn't want a tuner in the "chain of command" so I didn't bother plugging it in, which makes me of no use to Wayne whatsoever. :huh:
Sorry for the rambling post, but please keep trying to find "the middle ground" where everyone can benefit from the knowledge that is so obviously present in this sites members. :o[/quote]

Sorry - I forgot to come back to this thread and confess that the 'techno-rambling' above was my doing.
I must admit that when I read it back after posting it it sounded a bit too complex for what is a simple wiring setup to tap a signal off with a 'Y' connection.
It's worth getting familiar with insert point switching though if you do anything with audio wiring.
But the problem is that things which are easily drawn or sketched in terms of a schematic can end up sounding complex when described in words.
But it seems sort of inevitable in a text based forum unless using links to the web or - at a push - those 'diagrams' made up of punctuation marks and letters etc.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='301363' date='Oct 7 2008, 01:21 PM']Cheers buddy.

This is the one that came with it originally.

[/quote]

Just in case it hasn't been made obvious in the thread for anyone who needs an Alesis PSU. The output of this one is AC, not DC. The majority of pedals, such as Boss for example run on 9v DC. For the non-techies, the tilda '~' next to the voltage is the symbol for 'Alternating Current'.