Why become a member? ×

Fender Jaguar Bass (American Standard). Hubba bubba.

NancyJohnson

[quote name='Trueno' timestamp='1477838253' post='3164740']
Personally, I find the overprovision of switches and controls to be a wonderful thing. Add the offset shape and it's a winner for me.
[u][b]I'm getting the first burblings of GAS.[/b][/u]
[/quote]

It happened to me as soon as I saw one in Olympic White. They are really great sounding basses. The series PU setting is MASSIVE.

I rarely use it in active but the preamp is quite powerful. I leave it set to boost the lows a little in case I want to instantly switch on the welly.

Frank.

I'm selling off a lot of my basses as I'm not sure how long I'm going to carry on gigging due to health issues, but seeing as I sold THREE last week, I thought it only right to get myself one of these beauties, three out and only one in, even the missus can't moan at that. <_<

Anyway, it arrived Tuesday and I gigged it Friday night, for me and I found it amazing, mainly because I love the tone of a precision, but I prefer jazz necks which this has, and most importantly, it played and sounded great!!!

The smaller body makes it lighter and it's perfectly balanced which is great for my back, a jazz size neck which is what I like, it has a split P pickup which I will use soloed most of the time, but the jazz pickup is there should I need it, active electrics as well, so all in all, it's got to be just about the most versatile Fender bass out there.

And lastly, I think it looks nice especially in olympic white/tort guard which is what I got, and I also managed to get it for £1,099 which is £300 off the regular price almost everywhere. :)

Edited by thebrig

Now see, I quite like this but I would get an all-in-one pickguard made to replace all those chrome switch plates. I don't like too much pointless bling on a bass.

It's maybe not so bad with the white guard.

Edited by neepheid

I do like the look of the switches, but I'm really not so much of a fan of active guitars.

Clearly there's a degree of reinvention at work (with this bass), but ultimately it's just a P/J in different clothes; like most gear, don't you just find a bunch of settings you're happy with and stick with those?

If I ever landed one of these (probably unlikely), I'd look at just installing a stacked knob plate.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1477903272' post='3165061']
I do like the look of the switches, but I'm really not so much of a fan of active guitars.

Clearly there's a degree of reinvention at work (with this bass), but ultimately it's just a P/J in different clothes; like most gear, don't you just find a bunch of settings you're happy with and stick with those?

If I ever landed one of these (probably unlikely), I'd look at just installing a stacked knob plate.
[/quote]Exactly, as I said, mine will be locked in passive mode with the P pup soloed all the time, but I suppose it is nice to have everything there should I ever need it.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1477906570' post='3165090']
Exactly, as I said, mine will be locked in passive mode with the P pup soloed all the time, but I suppose it is nice to have everything there should I ever need it.
[/quote]

These American Standard Jaguars are really useful gigging basses. Mine is in passive with only the P pickup selected for most of the time. Occasionally I use the two pickups in series which sounds massive.

Enjoy your new toy.

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1477952408' post='3165558']
These American Standard Jaguars are really useful gigging basses. Mine is in passive with only the P pickup selected for most of the time. Occasionally I use the two pickups in series which sounds massive.

Enjoy your new toy.

Frank.
[/quote]I'm really loving it Frank, I've been playing nothing but P's for quite a few years now and I love them, but it is nice to have something that looks different but still gives me my favourite tone, but it really is a bonus having all the options should I join a new band playing music that calls for something a bit different from the P tone. :)

• 3 weeks later...

So this thread totally GASsed me. And I bought the last Olympic White one I could find.
It is fabulous, but the pickup switches were not functioning as expected. It took me a while to realise that the control plate had been fitted upside down (neck pickup switch towards the bridge and the series/parallel switch towards the neck). I have flipped it but the series/parallel switch works the opposite of how it should.
This is quite disappointing and makes me wonder if the QC was non existent and there might be other issues with it?
Should I get it repaired under warranty in any case?
Thanks.

[quote name='floFC' timestamp='1479912566' post='3180233']
So this thread totally GASsed me. And I bought the last Olympic White one I could find.
It is fabulous, but the pickup switches were not functioning as expected. It took me a while to realise that the control plate had been fitted upside down (neck pickup switch towards the bridge and the series/parallel switch towards the neck). I have flipped it but [u][b]the series/parallel switch works the opposite of how it should[/b][/u].
This is quite disappointing and makes me wonder if the QC was non existent and there might be other issues with it?
Should I get it repaired under warranty in any case?
Thanks.
[/quote]

The more you use the Jaguar the more you realise how versitile it really is. Glad you're enjoying yours. The light weight is a bonus.

I'm not sure what you mean by the bit I've underlined? One position is series and the other position is parallel. But this is the one thing I don't like about the US Jaguar. If you select the P pickup [u]only[/u] then the series/parallel switch will switch it off (ie. silence!!) in one position. So you have to be careful, although generally it's not a problem for me as my plucking hand isn't down at that switchplate while playing.

This doesn't happen when selecting the jazz pickup only.

I hope that makes sense? :unsure:

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1479918995' post='3180302']
I'm not sure what you mean by the bit I've underlined? One position is series and the other position is parallel.
[/quote]
That's right, but it's supposed to be "up" is parallel and "down" is series, mine does the opposite. Otherwise yes, I have only played with it one evening but it is incredibly versatile.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1479927017' post='3180395']
If you want the series/parallel to work in the opposite direction, take the plate off, undo the screws and turn the switch round similar to what you did with the plate. I'd rather do that than take it back for repair under warranty - it's a 5 minute job.

G.
[/quote]
I did try that, but the switch is connected to the others so it is not really possible without unsoldering.
I suppose I'll live with it, I have never bought a new bass before so I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't perfect.

Thanks guys, it is a great bass and really beautiful in white.

[quote name='floFC' timestamp='1479928894' post='3180410']
That's right, but it's supposed to be "up" is parallel and "down" is series, mine does the opposite. Otherwise yes, I have only played with it one evening but it is incredibly versatile.

I did try that, but the switch is connected to the others so it is not really possible without unsoldering.
I suppose I'll live with it, I have never bought a new bass before so I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't perfect.

Thanks guys, it is a great bass and really beautiful in white.
[/quote]

Ahh. I see what you mean now. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I would think you'll just get used to it because it's not like there's a standard switching or convention for this. In fact, when I think about it, I'd prefer it like yours because it would be harder to switch the series/parallel upwards than downwards so making it less likely to switch to the silent mode. :)

Frank.