Why become a member? ×

Snapped Trussrod - Spector NS2B - Through neck!!!

grunge666

I'm in bits!

My main bass, 80's Spector NS2B has been a b!tch to set up over the last few weeks so, took it to my usual guy to have a look and he rang me this morning with terrible news.

The trussrod is snapped!

Does anyone know of a luthier that could repair it or, it is now an ornament?!?

Gutted beyond belief..... :angry: :angry: :angry:

Not to put any pressure on your set up guy, but if you've used him as a service (like a business) and paid him, and he is at fault (even if it may also be partly accident) then actually, he should be dealing with this for you and not just handing it back.

It's like passing a car to a garage for a service and they ruin the engine.

Is he insured?

It's not his fault, I was there when he tried the truss rod and said it could be bad news..
The set up problems only started when the band decided to drop half a step down and I have no idea when or how it happened. It may have been done before I got the bass.

Edited by grunge666

I would contact PJ at Spector [color=#333333][size=4]pj[/size][/color][color=#333333][size=4]@spectorbass.com with the details of the bass and ask what is the best thing to do. A chap called John Williams at Noiseworks in Coventry [/size][/color]http://guitarsandbasses.co.uk/ does the warranty work for Bass Directs US Spectors. He's reasonable in price and his work is very good.

Well, you really do learn something every day!

I don't think it's broken at all!!

Spector's brilliant design has saved the day!

The truss rod is a free-floating/friction held unit, that sits in a channel in the neck below the fingerboard and acts like a bow.

What I think has happened, and confirmed by the good people in the Spector Nation FB group is; In pitch, the truss rod was held fine. As we've dropped the tuning, the string tension dropped and the neck straightened, loosening up the truss rod unit. The tension nut may not be moving freely and the end has slid out, making it look like the rod (in usual anchored types) has snapped inside the neck!

Loosened off, the truss rod should slide right out of the neck to be worked on or replaced.

This is the 1st time I've heard of this type of truss rod, it's frickin' genius!

I can get a complete replacement unit from the States for $25 plus shipping if need be!

Excuse the pun but.....what a relief!! B)

[quote name='grunge666' timestamp='1467904446' post='3087214']
Well, you really do learn something every day!

I don't think it's broken at all!!

Spector's brilliant design has saved the day!

The truss rod is a free-floating/friction held unit, that sits in a channel in the neck below the fingerboard and acts like a bow.

What I think has happened, and confirmed by the good people in the Spector Nation FB group is; In pitch, the truss rod was held fine. As we've dropped the tuning, the string tension dropped and the neck straightened, loosening up the truss rod unit. The tension nut may not be moving freely and the end has slid out, making it look like the rod (in usual anchored types) has snapped inside the neck!

Loosened off, the truss rod should slide right out of the neck to be worked on or replaced.

This is the 1st time I've heard of this type of truss rod, it's frickin' genius!

I can get a complete replacement unit from the States for $25 plus shipping if need be!

Excuse the pun but.....what a relief!! B)
[/quote]

Great news. Now, if your tech had known that already you wouldn't have gone grey in the space of this afternoon. :P

[quote name='jimbobothy' timestamp='1467906917' post='3087238']
... the earlier Warwicks without a neck Volute have replaceable truss rods that can slide out. Later ones with the Volute need the finger board taking off if owt goes wrong. Glad it's an easy fix.
[/quote]

Wonder where they got that design idea? ;) lol!