Why become a member? ×

Why no cover bands for this music?

vsmith1

A few years back I tried to get such a band together in Gloucestershire via joinmyband.co.uk but there was no interest, sweet FA, nada. In my ads I mentioned bands like Japan, Heaven 17, Human League, Blancmange and less well known alt funk acts like Shriekback and 23 Skidoo. No end of people wanting to play metal.

I'd be in it, sounds like fun!

There was definitely thing in metal a while back for doing 80s electro covers in a noisy stylee:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9XiD_2K7-Q[/media]

I guess also an issue is, its pretty easy to find midis of all this stuff and your average laptop can do a very passable human league impersonation...

[quote name='stuckinthepod' timestamp='1467990001' post='3087907']
There are a few out there.

www.electronic80s.net/

Electronic 80's are an authentic and energetic 5 piece band paying tribute to the best music of the 1980's.
[/quote]

Listening to the tracks on their web site it's just 80s pop, not the all-electronic music the OP is on about.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1467917080' post='3087333']
So cover bands in the UK are still playing Mustang Sally?

I'm starting to think cover bands in the UK are very different than our Milwaukee cover bands.

Blue
[/quote]

I like cover bands that think outside of the box and play something a bit different. What's a typical set from a Milwaukian cover band?

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1467883634' post='3086915']
I can't remember the groups name, but a mate had booked an 80's synth pop cover band for his wedding.

They were a typical frontman/synth wizard but with the added twist of a mannequin with a TFT monitor for a head which announced the songs...

I waited with much excitement. But they'd split up a month before the gig. Musical differences or something.

I'm sure they were called 'Electric Dreams' or something similarly corny...
[/quote]

They split up with the mannequin over musical differences?

[quote name='TransistorBassMan' timestamp='1467889000' post='3087008']
They are out there. You just need to know where to look. Check out Electro 80s. They're very good

Also...I play keyboards in a Gary Numan covers band, and we're approaching our 30th anniversary
[/quote]
Did you play regularly at the Flag in Wembley? There can't be that many long-lived Numan tribute bands...

This band in Leicestershire area were good when I saw them a few years ago and certain different to the usual pub cover bands but, for me, after a while one song sounded much the same as another, mind you, I am not the biggest fan of 80s electronic music.

http://www.analoguehaze.co.uk/

[quote name='Shylock' timestamp='1468336432' post='3090239']
This band in Leicestershire area were good when I saw them a few years ago and certain different to the usual pub cover bands but, for me, after a while one song sounded much the same as another, mind you, I am not the biggest fan of 80s electronic music.

[url="http://www.analoguehaze.co.uk/"]http://www.analoguehaze.co.uk/[/url]
[/quote]

But again not really a synth band like the OP was looking for. Just another band doing 80s (and some 70s) pop covers.

[quote name='TransistorBassMan' timestamp='1468335654' post='3090232']
Yes, The Flag was our "home" venue
[/quote]
The band I was in at the time supported you there a couple of times and somewhere else round there too once.
Mark Pearson was in the year below me at school, is he still doing the Numanoid thing? Don't know if he would remember me, Julian Moss, from school, very short, long hair,then!
Cheers.Jules

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1468365204' post='3090512']

The band I was in at the time supported you there a couple of times and somewhere else round there too once.
Mark Pearson was in the year below me at school, is he still doing the Numanoid thing? Don't know if he would remember me, Julian Moss, from school, very short, long hair,then!
Cheers.Jules
[/quote]

Would that be The Big Boat?
Yes, Mark is still with the band.

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1468353853' post='3090405']
Why bother, it's best left in the 80's IMO.
[/quote]

Could just as easy say classic rock should be left in the 70s.

I think the main thing is the gear. It wouldn't look right with a MacBook and midi keyboard on stage. Real analog synths are expensive.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1468421807' post='3090831']

Could just as easy say classic rock should be left in the 70s.

I think the main thing is the gear. It wouldn't look right with a MacBook and midi keyboard on stage. Real analog synths are expensive.
[/quote]

Classic Rock bands at least use humans to do the drumming and not machines.

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1468424160' post='3090849']
Classic Rock bands at least use humans to do the drumming.
[/quote]

You should meet some of the drummers that I've met, you may reconsider that statement :).

Edited by ambient