Why become a member? ×

why no Billy Sheehan clones?

MacDaddy

ok, so maybe not clones, but back in the 80's Eddie Van Halen and Yngwie Malmsteen influenced a whole generation of players in successful bands, but despite being in 2 mightily successful rock bands and on the cover of magazines, why was there not a slew of players influenced by Billy?

Marcel Jacob or talisman.....Sadly no longer with us.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIAwdIMr7BI"]https://www.youtube....h?v=WIAwdIMr7BI[/url]

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLe8FrAuqyI"]https://www.youtube....h?v=qLe8FrAuqyI[/url]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGrrcpTLLNM

Edited by Badass

Because the style is rooted very much in the 80's, I'd say.

Even slap has moved on massively from the big exponents of that era..ie, King and Louis Johnson, to name a few.

Maybe there isn't a band vehicle for it...and anyone going down that route is decidedly 'niche'

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1467808874' post='3086406']
Because the style is rooted very much in the 80's, I'd say.

Even slap has moved on massively from the big exponents of that era..ie, King and Louis Johnson, to name a few.

Maybe there isn't a band vehicle for it...and anyone going down that route is decidedly 'niche'
[/quote]
but what about in the 80's? Billy kind of stood alone, which bearing in mind what was happening with guitarists I find a bit surprising.

I think that's a very interesting question!

I was a Big Billy Sheehan fan...Mr Big at the Birmingham Institute still rates as one of my all time favourite gigs. However, I've never really had a desire to play like him.

I imagine he has inspired many people to play bass but you're absolutely correct, I can't think of a single bass player who seems to have copied his style!

Funny that.

For me he's one of those niche speciality players.

Whilst I admire his skills and inventiveness it's not something I've ever felt the desire to incorporate into my own playing and I can't really see how it would ever fit into any band situation I've ever been in.

His style is unique and even he will say this himself, ... that to get all that technique over a heavy sound means
you need to dig in very hard.
He is massively compressed..which is what I don't like, but can see the need. but he has a pretty bombprrof and hard technique
to get it to come over...
I'm surprised his hands haven't broken...

Maybe gtrs don't like this sort of flamboyant bass competing with them :lol: :lol:
And Tbh, nobody does that widdly widdly stuff too much these days..especially if you are trying something new..??

You only really see it it in 80's cover bands as well..??

I assume most of you have listened to Billy's latest venture - The Winery Dogs. 3 piece band featuring Mike Portnoy on Drums and Richie Kotzen on guitar / vocals.

Whilst it's very AOR on times, it's a shining example that those techniques are still going strong today. Albeit by the same guy.

As for why no clones, there are some guys around, check out Danny Growl for one. I think the main issue why there are fewer 'clones' is that it's a bloody difficult thing to nail correctly!

Edited by LewisK1975

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1467813147' post='3086460']
I assume most of you have not listened to Billy's latest venture - The Winery Dogs. 3 piece band featuring Mike Portnoy on Drums and Richie Kotzen on guitar / vocals.

Whilst it's very AOR on times, it's a shining example that those techniques are still going strong today. Albeit by the same guy.

As for why no clones, there are some guys around, check out Danny Growl for one. I think the main issue why there are fewer 'clones' is that it's a bloody difficult thing to nail correctly!
[/quote]

You assume incorrectly. And personally I think he has really dialled it down for The Winery Dogs....but that's probably more about the songs than anything else.

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1467813308' post='3086461']
.......... I think he has really dialled it down for The Winery Dogs....but that's probably more about the songs than anything else.
[/quote]

Hmmm I'm not so sure - what are you comparing to? I think whenever Billy plays in bands he serves the songs excellently, if it needs to be just 'in the pocket' thats what he'll do. There are many examples of this on Mr Big albums...

I suppose I started listening to Billy back when he was doing shred stuff with Tony McAlpine and the like...but I don't disagree, he did do some tasteful stuff with Mr. Big.

The Winery Dogs just seem to have a bit more groove.

(I'm probably wrong) :D

Edited by paul h

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1467814381' post='3086474']
I suppose I started listening to Billy back when he was doing shred stuff with Tony McAlpine and the like...but I don't disagree, he did do some tasteful stuff with Mr. Big.

The Winery Dogs just seem to have a bit more groove.

(I'm probably wrong) :D
[/quote]

Not at all, I'd agree and I much prefer The Winery Dogs stuff over anything from the Mr Big camp since 'Hey Man' (1996). I was delighted when I heard the Winery Dogs debut, no-one was making albums like that any more...

Have to confess to being a little dissapointed with the 2nd album though - not necessarily the songs, but on the first half of the album the Bass is so low in the mix, it kinda spoils it for me

Tbh the biggest surprise for me with The Winery Dogs was Richie...I hadn't really paid him that much attention and I had no idea he had that voice...and a lot of soul in his playing too.

I'm not really an album kind of guy these days (with a couple of exceptions) so most of the stuff of theirs I've heard is just from browsing Youtube :D

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1467806226' post='3086377']
ok, so maybe not clones, but back in the 80's Eddie Van Halen and Yngwie Malmsteen influenced a whole generation of players in successful bands, but despite being in 2 mightily successful rock bands and on the cover of magazines, why was there not a slew of players influenced by Billy?
[/quote]

I know he's a great player, but he's not relevant to me, wrong generation.

Blue

I like Billy a lot but he was off my radar until the past three years or so, while I could never nail what he does I love his work ethic and the fact he makes time to talk to everyone he can about bass.His desire for the instrument and perfoming in a band I find very inspiring and his signature string range(which I use) is fantastic..

I find his passion for playing and wanting to give his time to give advice really inspiring. I'm not big on Mr Big but i do like the Winery Dogs. I've seen TWD twice now and they were brilliant both times. Although I must say Kotzen in that band is awesome.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1467824637' post='3086567']
I know he's a great player, but he's not relevant to me, wrong generation.

Blue
[/quote]

He's 62, same or similar age to yourself.

I play a Yamaha and have tried to imitate some of his techniques and mannerisms when playing ,mostly because I think he looks cool, as well as my other bass heroes Steve Harris and Geddy, but obviously my talent level is waaaaaay below any of those guys and anyway I play covers in a pub band. But if I was better and doing originals then I'd copy him. I don't much care for his tone though.
I've not helped much,have I.....?!!!

Big influence on me. Great player, lovely bloke. He also has some input on the Yam Attitude page on Facebook (when he isn't touring).
Occasionaly I'll do his bass lead from Burn as an intro when we do Doctor Doctor. Just to wind the guitards up :mellow:
Love his style, amazed by his technique.
But only for 25 years :lol: