Why become a member? ×

Vanderkley Aurora, EBS TD660, Glockenklang Blue Rock or Genzler Magellen 800

I've been considering upgrading my rig for a little while now. Currently using an Ashdown ABM 4x10 combo, but fancy something more versatile as well as easier to shift so going to keep the 4x10 setup but using a cab (possibly bergantino or vanderkley).

Having tested a couple of the heads mentioned in the title, i wanted to know if anybody could give me any advice please?

The heads i've been considering are the following ; Vanderkley Aurora, EBS TD660, Glockenklang Blue Rock or Genzler Magellen 800

I am looking for a powerful, yet crisp sound so that i can play anything from the heaviest Black Sabbath, the crispest Marcus Miller and the Acid Jazz style tones of Jamiroquai, as well as most things in-between.

If anybody has any advice, I would love to hear from you.

Regards.

Very different beasts you are considering. From full on Mosfet to Class D.

To me the TD660 would be the most likely choice, it is loud as can be, extremely direct and does handle dirt pedals quite well. I have used a Blue Sky and it was one of the fattest class D amps I have heard, but still lacked the super heavy low oomph a Mosfet amp gives. But, a very very very good amp nonetheless and if DI into PA the Mosfet advantage is lost of course. The Blue Rock has an added overdrive I understand, which going by my old Heart Rock (1st edition) will be quite good so I would slot that in 2nd.

I like Genzler designs but I do not think it will be on par with the Glock. Aurora I do not know but Vanderkley makes good stuff, but very clean.

Best advice - try them with your bass!

Very different heads, different voicing and VERY different price tags (the Magellan sets you back £500-£850 less than the other amps on your list).

I have recently bought a Genzler Magellan 800 and I am very happy with it. It is competitively priced imo. For me personally the Magellan gets close enough to a lead slead in terms of response and weight of the notes etc.- ymmv. A lot of owners on Talkbass seem to echo that sentiment. There is also a test in the latest issue of Bass Gear Magazin which is quite informative [url="http://epublish.panaprint.com/publication/?i=312960&p=48"]http://epublish.pana.../?i=312960&p=48[/url]

The drive channel on the Magellan is very useable,and fan noise is minimal but not as "inaudible" as lets say on Glockenklang Class D amps.

You said you had an opportunity to test those amps. Did you not walk away with any preferences or impressions that can help you narrow it down? +1 on testing with your own bass and ideally even the cab(s) and some pedals you normally play.

Edited by lowerbassment

For flexibility, starting with a really clean core tone, I'd look at the Demeter integrated head. The 800 is my personal preference but the 400 is very good and it's smaller/cheaper but still with plenty of grunt.

I use the 800 for most gigs these days. It happily works with pedals in front of it as well. I generally have a compressor, envelope filter and octaver, sometimes a distortion as well.

If you want to be able to switch between Sabbath and Marcus instantly, there's only one head which can do that...the Magellan.

Ultimately, though, it's down to how you liked the amps when you tried them with your fingers, your bass, etc... Maybe try them again, and take your cab(s) down, too - they can have a big influence on the sound, too.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1467815061' post='3086482']
I have the Blue Rock and it is superb. I can't see a situation where I would ever change it. Highly recommended.
[/quote]

This. In fact it is good enough that I cannot see my GAS being reactivated in the long term future. Very happy from metal to jazz to blues.

The Magellan will do what you need very well, it goes from wide clean to fat mids to a nice distorted sound, the Aurora is a clean machine but sounds incredible. Have not tried the other amps so can't comment.
I have the Magellan paired with the Vanderkley 410LNT and it kills. 1/4 volume is even too much sometimes. The 410 LNT is the best cab I have ever played through, and it is a breeze to move around-easier than a CN212!

[quote name='brucethebassplayer1' timestamp='1467924281' post='3087428']

What sort of pedals do you run through the blue rock?
[/quote]

I usually play clean - mostly reggae. The BR has the nicest boosted bass EQ tone I have ever encountered.

I use a Xerograph LPF for ultra deep stuff. Also a Subterrenea for distorted synth tones. And a mixture of both controlled by a Hot Hand for super synthy sweeps.

The drive section on the BR is very musical/valve like, and gets quite (but not mega) dirty. This drive section has its own separate gain and voice controls. The drive can be switched in and out with a button or a foot switch (optional extra)

• 2 weeks later...

I have an EBS Fafner and I have played the 350 and 650/660 EBS heads. They are all very versatile and perfectly suited for funk, metal or rock. Very transparent heads.

To be honest though, you can't go wrong with any of the heads in your list. Just try a few out and buy the one you like the most.

I'll happily sing praise to all of the Vanderkley stuff. I have a 112 and it sounds ridiculously good. All of the familiar caveats apply, of course - horses for courses, and all that - but I doubt you'll go wrong with any of his products.

I realize this is of no help whatsoever. Just make sure you get what you like. Happy tone hunting!

Edited by Danuman

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1469476905' post='3098678']
Have you considered Eich/Tecamp?
[/quote]

+1 for this, the 'taste' knob on those is very useful, taking you from crispy to vintage in one knob. Also super clean when needed and very 'open' sounding.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='brucethebassplayer1' timestamp='1470843062' post='3108895']
Ended up getting a Vanderkley 410 combined with a Glockenklang Blue Sky. Sounds incredible. Thank you all for your comments.
[/quote]
Great choice, i think I would really like that combination. I am kind of temped by the Blue Rock...

[quote name='brucethebassplayer1' timestamp='1470843062' post='3108895']
Ended up getting a Vanderkley 410 combined with a Glockenklang Blue Sky. Sounds incredible. Thank you all for your comments.
[/quote]

Nice one. Would love to try the Glockenklang.

[quote name='IanA' timestamp='1467838539' post='3086691']
The Magellan will do what you need very well, it goes from wide clean to fat mids to a nice distorted sound, the Aurora is a clean machine but sounds incredible. Have not tried the other amps so can't comment.
I have the Magellan paired with the Vanderkley 410LNT and it kills. 1/4 volume is even too much sometimes. The 410 LNT is the best cab I have ever played through, and it is a breeze to move around-easier than a CN212!
[/quote]

I'm curious how the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]410LNT is easier to move than the CN212, it's slightly heavier and shape-wise is bigger and bulkier.[/font][/color]