Why become a member? ×

Home Recording - help a simpleton

BigBeefChief

[quote name='clauster' post='303636' date='Oct 10 2008, 10:10 AM']Ah, but Audacity is FREE!!!! FREE I tells you, FREEEEEEE![/quote]

First bit of good news I've had all week.

I bet there's a catch.

If its not financial, you probably need to download lemonwire or something there save it to some weird drive and then i'll get error messages using words I don't understand.

You'd never believe that when tested, I actually have a reasonably high IQ!!

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='303635' date='Oct 10 2008, 10:06 AM']Dunno.

Its a box with a few knobs and some sockets.

The knobs don't seem to do much.

I'd try Audacity, but I just can't warrant spending any more cash on this stuff. And I'm pretty sure I won't find it simple at all.

In fact, its not even the cash. My sanity can't stand these type of things. The rage keeps me up at night causing me to come ranting and swearing on here.

I just can't understand why I need to set any parameters,twist any knobs, tick any boxes to record a four string instrument. It f***s me off so much![/quote]

Well they will all have some for gain, that way what your recording is nice and audible.
Give Audacity a try, I have heard plenty of people who have said they love it for its simplicity ( :) )

If you can find out which interface it is i will help you out, but i need to know which interface you are using.

And once you get started its very easy.

Archetype

[quote name='Archetype' post='303639' date='Oct 10 2008, 10:16 AM']Well they will all have some for gain, that way what your recording is nice and audible.
Give Audacity a try, I have heard plenty of people who have said they love it for its simplicity ( :) )

If you can find out which interface it is i will help you out, but i need to know which interface you are using.

And once you get started its very easy.

Archetype[/quote]

This one:

[url="http://www.dv247.com/invt/24169/"]http://www.dv247.com/invt/24169/[/url]

Its quite a nice looking box. So far I've managed to hear my bass thorough my headphones when I plug it in, but its slightly quieter than a mouse.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='303642' date='Oct 10 2008, 10:19 AM']This one:

[url="http://www.dv247.com/invt/24169/"]http://www.dv247.com/invt/24169/[/url]

Its quite a nice looking box. So far I've managed to hear my bass thorough my headphones when I plug it in, but its slightly quieter than a mouse.[/quote]

Right then. last question is how are you plugging your bass into the interface? is it the bass right into the back. or as it the bass to the amp to the interface? if its via the amp what kind of cable is it connecting the amp and the interface.

If you can answer these then i will have everything i need :)

Archetype

[quote name='clauster' post='303645' date='Oct 10 2008, 10:23 AM']Downloads and installs in seconds, then you just set your input device in the "edit" "preferences" menu, create a track and press record.[/quote]

See, thats where I'd f*** up. Input device? What options are there? I'm only plugging one thing into my PC!

All I want is to be able to drag and dump drum loops (that will be saved in a file called "drum loops") then play over the top whilst recording. I'll then do the same thing with my guitar. I'll then have a song. The most advanced I want to get is maybe a volume control for the individual tracks. But I'm not that fussed.

[quote name='Archetype' post='303650' date='Oct 10 2008, 10:25 AM']Right then. last question is how are you plugging your bass into the interface? is it the bass right into the back. or as it the bass to the amp to the interface? if its via the amp what kind of cable is it connecting the amp and the interface.

If you can answer these then i will have everything i need :)

Archetype[/quote]

I thinks its straight from my bass into the back. I struggle to recall under the red mist.

Although I'd rather mic up my amp and plug the mic into the audio interface (because I like my amp).

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='303653' date='Oct 10 2008, 10:28 AM']I thinks its straight from my bass into the back. I struggle to recall under the red mist.

Although I'd rather mic up my amp and plug the mic into the audio interface (because I like my amp).[/quote]

Ok, well if your plugging the guitar right in for now, which i think would be best for now to keep it simple.
plug the bass in to the back and make sure the little button is in the out position.
Plug your headphones in and set the Mix control to 12oclock.

Then when your playing bas you should see the signal light come one, then turn the mic input up till it just starts to clip with the red light.

Then follow the steps for Audacity and away you go. The input device should list the "M-Audio ASIO drivers" or something similar, just use them.

And you should e all ready.

[quote name='Archetype' post='303665' date='Oct 10 2008, 10:41 AM']Ok, well if your plugging the guitar right in for now, which i think would be best for now to keep it simple.
plug the bass in to the back and make sure the little button is in the out position.
Plug your headphones in and set the Mix control to 12oclock.

Then when your playing bas you should see the signal light come one, then turn the mic input up till it just starts to clip with the red light.

Then follow the steps for Audacity and away you go. The input device should list the "M-Audio ASIO drivers" or something similar, just use them.

And you should e all ready.[/quote]

Thank you for all your help (Archetype, Charic, Clauster and everyone else).

I will try this. I have my doubts if it will work though. I don't think the Audio Interface is properly installed thogh. When I try and install it, it keeps saying I've got the wrong OS. I'm sure I haven't.

Also, its really quiet, no matter what knobs I twist.

It doesn't help that I'm deaf so it has to be loud or I can't make it out.

M-Audio drivers can be a right pain in the (_!_), but worth the aggravation because they are great devices.

If you don't install the properly first time you've got to completely uninstall everything relating to them before trying again. What Operating system are you running?

[quote name='clauster' post='303694' date='Oct 10 2008, 11:03 AM']Windows XP
Windows Vista or Vista SP1 (32 bit or 64 bit?)
Linux
Mac OS X

are the common ones at the moment[/quote]

Its one of the top 2!

But I rember it matching the one it said on the box.

The fact that I managed to dots to appear on ableton when I played (although I couldn't hear anything when I played it back), would suggest that it functions to a degree.

I was under the impression that I couldn't install the drivers partially - either it wouldn't work at all or it would work fine (if that makes sense).

The trouble is, I don't know what it should do, so I've got nothing to compare it too.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='303391' date='Oct 9 2008, 09:42 PM']Well, I've just got my hands on this stuff and I'm pretty sure its going back in the box and then probably into the bin.[/quote]

Probably won't be room due to the crap in there from the shop down stairs :)
Some good info in this thread.

Pete.

I dont want to burden you with any more sh*t... :)
But.....
I am not sure Audacity works with the Asio drivers on your Audio interface...
The Asio drivers will work great with Ableton..
So might be worth grinding on with Ableton..

You can use the standard Windows drivers with Audacity... [ MME ]
But you will play a note....
And not hear it until Sunday afternoon [ Latency ]

There is a small work around though..
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=29042"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=29042[/url]

As i said 4 pages ago...
It might have been better to have spent your dosh more wisely..
Like In the Boozer..
Pick on some stranger just reading the Sun...
And start banging on about Audio interfaces, Audacity, Asio drivers.....
He will be impressed.

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='303812' date='Oct 10 2008, 01:26 PM']I dont want to burden you with any more sh*t... :)
But.....
I am not sure Audacity works with the Asio drivers on your Audio interface...
The Asio drivers will work great with Ableton..
So might be worth grinding on with Ableton..

You can use the standard Windows drivers with Audacity... [ MME ]
But you will play a note....
And not hear it until Sunday afternoon [ Latency ]

There is a small work around though..
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=29042"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=29042[/url]

As i said 4 pages ago...
It might have been better to have spent your dosh more wisely..
Like In the Boozer..
Pick on some stranger just reading the Sun...
And start banging on about Audio interfaces, Audacity, Asio drivers.....
He will be impressed.

Garry[/quote]

So are there no normal people* out there who want to make music at home?

*when I say normal, I mean people without a degree in Computer Science?

[quote name='charic' post='303859' date='Oct 10 2008, 02:04 PM']Are there any basschatters near you that would be happy to pop over? Once its set up itll be a piece of cake mate, sounds like you just have an installation issue.

Set up a fan to keep the red mist at bay[/quote]

Nah, its bigger than installation issues!

To give you an idea of how retarded I am, I pressed a button last night and the tool bar at the top of the screen dissappered. This meant I couldn't exit the program. I then tried every key on the keyboard to get it back, but this didn't work.

So in order to close it, I had to switch my laptop off.

I then switched it back on, and guess what?

I'm still staring at that f***ing Ableton screen!

At that point the whole thing nearly went out the window!

There's just far too many options and buttons on the thing in general.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='303874' date='Oct 10 2008, 02:18 PM']Nah, its bigger than installation issues!

To give you an idea of how retarded I am, I pressed a button last night and the tool bar at the top of the screen dissappered. This meant I couldn't exit the program. I then tried every key on the keyboard to get it back, but this didn't work.

So in order to close it, I had to switch my laptop off.

I then switched it back on, and guess what?

I'm still staring at that f***ing Ableton screen!

At that point the whole thing nearly went out the window!

There's just far too many options and buttons on the thing in general.[/quote]

Hi BBC,

I feel your pain. :)

I'm afraid that if you want something to work simply and smoothly then in general, DON'T DO IT ON A COMPUTER. I speak as computer programmer of over 25 years experience. I hate the bastards.
It may be a bit late now, but you might have been better off with something like

[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/zoom-/66381"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/zoom-/66381[/url]

- not quite CD quality (uses data compression), but has a built in drum machine and a 'record' button.

Good luck anyway.

E

Edited by Earbrass