Why become a member? ×

NCD - Barefaced Two10

discreet

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1469786002' post='3101009']
Are we loving this young discreet, or has it been surreptitiously sold on...
[/quote]

No, we're loving it and it's not going anywhere. Perfect balance between size, weight power and tone. Sounds fantastic with my Markbass SA450, which is also not going anywhere. I'd say I'm sorted rig-wise and have no rig GAS, but of course I've said that before, so I won't.

Let's just say that I 100% recommend the Two10 - it's a killer cab and I'm very pleased with it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously considering a BF 2x10 with my newly acquired Little Bastard. I absolutely love the tones from it my old Klystron 2x10 but hate the weight (well my back does). Not sure whether a 2x10 or super compact...tried a 2x10 at the gallery but they didn't have the SC in to try...

[quote name='GarfyBass' timestamp='1470558446' post='3106648']
Seriously considering a BF 2x10 with my newly acquired Little Bastard. I absolutely love the tones from it my old Klystron 2x10 but hate the weight (well my back does). Not sure whether a 2x10 or super compact...tried a 2x10 at the gallery but they didn't have the SC in to try...
[/quote]

As Chris says, give Alex a call and discuss with him what you want. As long as you do that, he does a great free 30 day trial. If you do not like it, you just have nothing but a little bit of hassle to get it back to him. I did that for my BFT2 but did not have to return it as I love it. Per one of my threads, and for the first time, I no longer have any GAS.

[quote name='GarfyBass' timestamp='1470596310' post='3106998']
I did that and he said it would be a great rig. I just thought that maybe the 12" may suit the LB better as that's the popular cab for them.
[/quote]

I'm fairly sure the Two10 would sound amazing paired with a valve amp. However I've not tried mine with a valve amp - yet.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1470567592' post='3106734']
Me neither. At least not cab GAS. ;)
[/quote]

Yeah, yeah, like we all believe that ;-)

Did you get to compare the 210 to the 1212L? After years of using the 1212L i found my Retro Two 10 quite a shock. Huge, real low end that i hadn't heard in many a year from my rig. Unfortunately the rest wasn't what i hoped for but thats a personable thing of course.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1470750817' post='3108147']
Did you get to compare the 210 to the 1212L? After years of using the 1212L i found my Retro Two 10 quite a shock. Huge, real low end that i hadn't heard in many a year from my rig. Unfortunately the rest wasn't what i hoped for but thats a personable thing of course.
[/quote]

I didn't A/B them, no. But I can remember enough of the 1212L to make a comparison. The Two10 is capable of a lot more low end (apparently) - of course it's not 'real' low end if you buy into the 'hybrid resonator' stuff (which I do) - and it certainly sounds like real low-end, so what's the difference? What the Two10 doesn't have is that big low-mid bump which is baked-in to the 1212L and can be fantastic or a hindrance depending on your point of view. I liked it, especially with a G-K MB500 Fusion - together they growled like a big bastard. But I don't miss it in the Two10. Possibly because I no longer have a G-K Fusion, unfortunately... but the Two10 and my Markbass SA450 (with its extensive parametric mid-EQ) sound perfect for my needs. At the moment. ;)

Edited by discreet

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1472033172' post='3117797']
I'm still torn between two One10s and a Two10 for when I have the spare funds...
[/quote]

The Two10 has the 'line array' shenanigans going on, if you want to use it horizontally for maximum low-end... having said that, I use mine vertically and it certainly doesn't seem lacking in bottom. Fnarr. And it's still a small, light cab. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1470757740' post='3108227']The Two10 is capable of a lot more low end (apparently) - of course it's not 'real' low end if you buy into the 'hybrid resonator' stuff (which I do) - and it certainly sounds like real low-end, so what's the difference?[/quote]

What do you mean by "of course it's not 'real' low end"? Am confused!

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1472033854' post='3117819']
Am confused!
[/quote]

Me too. What exactly is the function of the hybrid resonator and how does it work, broadly? The One10 I had and the Two10 I'm currently using aren't short on low-end, but is this due to the hybrid resonator or the design of the drivers, or a combination of both?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1472030691' post='3117755']
I did not. I returned the One10 to Barefaced before I got the Two10. I couldn't afford to keep both. :)
[/quote]

Ah.

I'm really curious about the Two10. On paper it seems like it would please me, and a couple of them would be a wonderous thing. So whenever I get a chance to hear/try one I'll take the opportunity. I was intrigued whether there was much difference with a couple of One10s as that increases my chances of finding someone semilocal I can one day meet for noise exchanges.

I'm very happy with my current cabs, but they do have some limitations that I suspect the Two10s would not have, for just a little bit bigger size/weight.

At my last gig I had a guest bass player for a few songs. I managed to get out around the pub and more so than during the soundcheck. The further I got the better my 2 10 sounded. I was very impressed. Plenty enough bottom end and clarity.
I use my Ray which always sounds great through any rig. My TC classic 450 has to have the bass eq held back or it will be very boomy. Overall it works great for me and in this pub everything including the drums has to miced up. I'm going through the PA but barely turned up. The back line is doing the real work. The cab is horizontal generally unless I have very little stage space so it will be vertical.

Edited by mep