Why become a member? ×

Great amps with simple settings.

White Zombie

Looking to get a new amp and needing some recommendations.

I've never been into amps with 50 knobs along the front, like to keep it simple. Gain, Volume, Bass, Mid, Treble, no need for much else.

At the moment I'm considering an Ampeg SVT Classic, played this a few times and really liked it.

Also looking at the Orange AD200B, although not had a shot of one yet. Also like the idea it's British made, so should be easier to get repaired if anything goes wrong.

Any other suggestions?

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1467745455' post='3085886']
Why only British made. Don't get me wrong I also like the idea of having a British amp but there's so many great foreign amps about.
[/quote]

Not only that, there's plenty of brands from afar that have an absolutely superb Uk distributor/service network that could easily match the 'repairability factor' of those brands manufactured closer to home. Oh..wait... most kit is manufactured in China anyway.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1467727503' post='3085662']
This Aguilar DB750 looks good:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/287897-aguilar-db750-in-soft-gig-bag-l75000/"]http://basschat.co.u...gig-bag-l75000/[/url]
[/quote]

Silly price.. I can't think why it hasn't got another £250 on top..? ;)

I'd add Demeter as simple and very good sounding.
It isn't a DB750..but it more than holds its own in the lightweights takes, IMO.

Having said that..I wouldn't be offended at a 20lb amp and would consider that a decent weight.

[quote name='White Zombie' timestamp='1467725852' post='3085646']
I've never been into amps with 50 knobs along the front, like to keep it simple.
[/quote]

I agree that simplicity should be the golden rule but for me it doesn't matter how many controls there are on the front of your amp but how many you have to use to get a good sound. If you buy an amp with a great natural sound then you don't have to do much more than switch it on.

My Thunderfunk is one of the best sounding amps I've played even though it has 14 controls on the front and 3 dip switches.

In spite of this it's the easiest amp to operate because with the Timbre control at 11 o'clock and all the other controls at 12 o'clock you only have to set the Master volume to get a fantastic tone. That's just 2 controls.

Marshall VBA, epic performance, though I moved mine on due to weight and age (and I preferred my Peavey Tour 700) . Simple controls and British made.
Hiwatt Dr103 / 201 originals. Epic price, epic performance. British made, premium quality.
Fender Bassman 100 / 135. Simple, classic, easily repairable, sane weight. Not British. Possibly lacking power in these days depending on what context you play in.

Plan b. Sansamp VT deluxe and a class D poweramp. Simple and flexible with the 6 stored sounds.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1467831873' post='3086633']
Not British and no longer in production but the Aguilar AG500SC takes some beating in the simple but devastatingly beautiful sound stakes.
[/quote]

I have the AG500 - which has a second channel compared to the SC (single channel) version so mine is not quite the simple amp you're describing - but I do concur that they sound fantastic.
I'd add another +1 for the SC version.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1467740443' post='3085820']
What about the Handbox amps? WOT and I both have threads about them in this section of the forum.

Lovely straight forward eq section.

Here's a pic :)

[url="https://flic.kr/p/GQRbnm"][/url]
[/quote]

Definitely consider this. It's a beautiful thing.

Hartke LH (1000W or 500W) are about as simple as it gets yet some are still perplexed over the passive tone stack EQ. Upgrade the valve and you get a stonking amp for no money.