Why become a member? ×

La Bella Tapewound black or white query

PaulTMA

Having made a more than successful switch from the stock rounds to La Bella flatwounds on my Mustang bass, I'm now toying with now delving into the world of Tapewounds for my spare (80s Squire Precision bass with Jazz neck). The smooth feel of the flats has changed everything for me, coupled with the desired sound - can't help but want to know modify my older model. I've been interested in Tapewounds for a while and the extra smoothness seems to be very much an important bonus of whatever sound I would be likely to achieve. The reason I ask is for a couple of reasons - I see La Bella offer white or black Tapewounds. My initial thought was to go for the black ones, really just to have an unusual look - but would black work over a rosewood neck and a red/brown tortoiseshell scratch plate with black body? And the 'white' ones - are they truly white or really just appear to be silver in reality? I saw a review on Youtube and he claimed the 'white' strings were smoother than the black - any thoughts on this? As I'd be hoping the strings would last me a long time, I would very much like to get this right first time, so what do others here think?

Edited by PaulTMA

I think black or white would work on your bass. Whites used to be noticeably smoother than the blacks, but I have just fitted a new set of blacks to a bass and they are very smooth so perhaps the manufacturing process has changed.

The other thing to keep in mind is the tome. Black nylon is the darkest and white the brightest of the white nylons, with copper white and gold white in between.

And yes, they are white with a hint of silver showing through.

Urgh, I should have posted this in the accessories forum. Sorry about that.

I'm not a regular bassist so I was unaware there were that many La Bella Tapewound options to chose from. I now have no idea whatsoever! Perhaps there's too much choice - it'll have to be a wild stab in the dark, it seems....

I bought Labella nylon strings, white and black, to compare. Here my point of view

For the sound, white nylons have this high frequencies top end that Black ones have not. Blacks sound warmer..

For the feel under fingers, Labella Black nylon strings are smooth, it slides a lot.
Whereas Labella White nylons are rough to the touch, i like it. It reminds roundwounds.

Remark : Labella Black nylon and Fender Black nylon are very different. Sound and feel

For Labella nylon strings this video is cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPDDigVmVFc

[quote name='Emanew' timestamp='1467676164' post='3085343']
For the feel under fingers, Labella Black nylon strings are smooth, it slides a lot.
Whereas Labella White nylons are rough to the touch, i like it. It reminds roundwounds.
[/quote]

That's a good point. The whites are flat, but you can feel the windings more than on the new blacks.

When i ordered my Labella black nylon strings, i took a 50-105 gauge as i thought it would be like a standart roundwounds gauge feel.
But Black nylons are designed and built differently so my advice, if you come from roundwounds, would be to choose a 60-115 gauge to refind the same tension.
I like to play my labella black nylons 50-105 gauge but it is a little too flexible for me.
I hope it will help :)

Edited by Emanew

[quote name='Emanew' timestamp='1467716645' post='3085552']
When i ordered my Labella black nylon strings, i took a 50-105 gauge as i thought it would be like a standart roundwounds gauge feel.
But Black nylons are designed and built differently so my advice, if you come from roundwounds, would be to choose a 60-115 gauge to refind the same tension.
I like to play my labella black nylons 50-105 gauge but it is a little too flexible for me.
I hope it will help :)
[/quote]

To be honest, my Precision bass has been unplayed for about a year and has some aged roundwounds on it. I'm not sure of the gauge, though I'm guessing light. I've been playing my Mustang since and a month ago added La Bella 45-95 flats, which appear to be perfect for now - that bass is all I've played since. I'm looking to ditch roundwounds entirely. Do you think that the higher gauge will be OK? I'm a little reluctant as I've only just entered into regular bass playing - other than the occasional play through for a demo - and have struggled to feel comfortable with some heavier strings in the past. I've heard elsewhere that this heavier gauge actually feel lighter, but I'd need a bit of convincing first, really.

Edited by PaulTMA

As you are playing Labella 45-95, if you want to find a known feeling, i think it is better to choose 60-115. The strings are bigger (especially 115 E string) but the tension can compared to 45-105 standart rounds or 45-95 standart flats.
Bigger strings also give warmer, darker notes. I am fond of that :)

[quote name='Emanew' timestamp='1467724592' post='3085637']
As you are playing Labella 45-95, if you want to find a known feeling, i think it is better to choose 60-115. The strings are bigger (especially 115 E string) but the tension can compared to 45-105 standart rounds or 45-95 standart flats.
Bigger strings also give warmer, darker notes. I am fond of that :)
[/quote]

Of course, the Mustang is a short scale bass and the Precision with Jazz neck is 35". How much difference to you think the 60-115 would be in comparison to the lower set? Super long scale I presume would be required?

My concern is just that the heavier strings would be harder to play, as non-seasoned bassist.

Edited by PaulTMA

Standard long scale La Bellas are 37" from ball to start of the silks, so suggest you measure your bass to see if they fit.

Don't let the 60-115 fool you, the tension is just fine, quite low actually...

You can see how fine the wrap is on the new black nylons in this pic of my bass (open image in a new tab for full size!) :)

Edited by walbassist

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1467726329' post='3085651']
Standard long scale La Bellas are 37" from ball to start of the silks, so suggest you measure your bass to see if they fit.
[/quote]

I've got 37" from ball end to threading.

Standart length/scale fits all PB, JB style instruments. No need to buy something else in your case.

Super Long scale are for special instruments : strings through body, or electro-acoustics (Takamine B10), or longer diapason basses.

I think you reach the end of your search :)
May the groove be with you

Thanks for all the tips. My strings arrived today and while my bass is badly in need of a setup, I've added the strings just to hear the sound. Have to say, I'm surprised at how [i]bright [/i]everything sounds, I was kind of expecting something a little darker out of the box, similar to how the La Bella boomer flats did on the Mustang. Do tapewounds need breaking in the same way regular strings do, in terms of tone?

I've only used the D'Addario and not the LaBella, but I'd say tapewounds can be brighter than most flats. They don't have the metallic zing of rounds, but there can still be quite a lot of high-end detail. They do respond well to the tone control though. Mine didn't change much over the first year.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

Thanks for the youtube clip I did not know the whites sounded different from blacks,from that video i prefer the whites more piano like harmonics. Having owned a Rob Allen with these strings I have put some on my status 5 electro. But had to change the machine heads to hipshots as these strings are real thick so be warned if putting them on none P type bass with big open tuners. I also made a new nut from a piece of yew

Edited by deepbass5