Why become a member? ×

Activificating my P Bass (special thanks to KiOgon).

Painy

Having spent around 17 of my 21 playing years using active basses exclusively, I decided a couple of years ago to go passive and got myself a Fender Jazz and a Squier Precision (both 5 strings).
I particularly fell in love with my precision for its playability and I do love the precision tone but for some reason I just hadn't quite been able to get it to sound like me.
Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I found a small cardboard box containing the remains of an old Dan Armstrong 'Yellow Humper' pre-amp which I'd stupidly dismantled about 20 years ago while I was still at school. After posting on here to ask for help getting it working again it went off to KiOgan who worked his magic and, genius that he is, as well as repairing it also modified it to be fitted directly into the control cavity of my bass with the addition of a bypass toggle switch in case of battery failure.
It's a very simple pre-amp in that the controls are just a 3 way toggle switch with either 'off' (actually a flat boost) 'lo' (bass boost) or 'lo + high (bass and treble boost.
So, after a tiny bit of routing under the pickguard to make room for the battery and drilling a couple of holes in the guard for the switches, I fitted it Saturday morning, gave it a quick test to make sure it was working and took it to my gig Saturday night.
At first I was a bit disappointed as switching the circuit on gave a nasty buzzy distorted sound and turning down the input gain on my amp didn't stop it either. Fortunately I then remembered the pad switch on my compressor, pushed it in and there it was. Sounded like me again but still like a precision.
Really happy with the result. Obviously time will tell how it sounds at different venues etc. But I'm looking forward to finding out!

[quote name='E sharp' timestamp='1467657567' post='3085208']
Small world - years ago , I used a plug in Armstrong Red Ranger for a Precision . I think they used to do a little range of plug in units
[/quote]

Apparently so. I know the guitar version of the Yellow Humper was called the Purple Peaker :D