Why become a member? ×

Blinded by the lights!

AndrewJordan

Headlined a local festival last night! The only lights on stage were a pair of LED moving heads either side of the stage at about waist height. The damn things were so bright I spent most of the gig not being able to see a thing. There was a good crowd there but I couldn't even see the front row, very dissapointing!
To make matters worse, at one point they started strobing which totally disorientated me. I shut my eyes to try and make things better but I could still see the bloody things.
Then, during the last three songs. The DJ who had been on stage started packing his gear to the side of me and stood in front of the lights to see what he was doing. This left me in darkness to the point I couldn't even see my bass and what I was playing. At one point I was holding a note during a particularly loud bit and couldn't hear myself properly, things went quieter and I realised I was a semitone off. Aaaaaaaaaaargh!!
Rant over!

Hate those lights, my band has a pair of them. I really have a problem with them, in that they will trigger a migraine. I know that it annoys certain band mates but if one of the LED's is pointing in my direction, then I have to have it moved. It's that or packing up and going home :(

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1467538686' post='3084306']
Hate those lights, my band has a pair of them. I really have a problem with them, in that they will trigger a migraine. I know that it annoys certain band mates but if one of the LED's is pointing in my direction, then I have to have it moved. It's that or packing up and going home :(
[/quote]

I used to suffer from migraines in my youth but very fortunately grew out them in my teens, but I still remember how utterly dreadful they were. If such lights (or anything really) triggered a migraine then I'd give them zero tolerance too!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1467541261' post='3084340']
I switched from rosewood fretboards to maple due to bright stage lights. Maple having the edge of being slightly easier able to see what the hell I`m doing.
[/quote]

Same here Lozz. I prefer playing my maple neck Sub than my Nate M P bass for exactly this reason. But I have started wearing my perscription sunglasses on stage as wearing normal glasses in an ACDC band ain`t to cool :ph34r:

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1467545108' post='3084392']
I used to suffer from migraines in my youth but very fortunately grew out them in my teens, but I still remember how utterly dreadful they were. If such lights (or anything really) triggered a migraine then I'd give them zero tolerance too!
[/quote]

My migraine experience has been the opposite to yours, in that I never had them during my teens or early adult years. Didn't get my first one until my late forties. Like you say though, they are utterly dreadful things.

What really cheeses me off is people who have a bit of a headache, describing it as a migraine :angry:

Seeing that bass players are the cool guys standing at the back, I think sunglasses don't look too nobby. Tried them (I use prescription sunglasses too) but they can slide down yer face when you start sweating.
I did most of my gigging with unlined ebony fretless boards... the Warwicks I played had tiny side dots that disappeared in the lights... I did most of my practising at home in the dark... it worked.
You could put large stick on dots on the side... but that really would look nobby. LEDs too espensive.
For me, loads of lights, scanners, strobes, smoke and... erm... pyrothechnics are all part of the fun.

PS... I get the migraine point... That really wouldn't be fun.

Edited by Trueno

[quote name='Trueno' timestamp='1467547937' post='3084426']
Seeing that bass players are the cool guys standing at the back, I think sunglasses don't look too nobby. Tried them (I use prescription sunglasses too) but they can slide down yer face when you start sweating.
I did most of my gigging with unlined ebony fretless boards... the Warwicks I played had tiny side dots that disappeared in the lights... I did most of my practising at home in the dark... it worked.
You could put large stick on dots on the side... but that really would look nobby. LEDs too espensive.
For me, loads of lights, scanners, strobes, smoke and... erm... pyrothechnics are all part of the fun.

PS... I get the migraine point... That really wouldn't be fun.
[/quote]
I use large stick on dots, I don't care if they're nobby , had a sweaty gig the other week and most of them came off, there was a few semitone fluffs I can tell ya

Edited by rogerstodge

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1467548987' post='3084441']

I use large stick on dots, I don't care if they're nobby , had a sweaty gig the other week and most of them came off, there was a few semitone fluffs I can tell ya
[/quote]

Good to have some feedback on that point... he! he!
Now I think about it... I used to play with my 12" yellow Markbass speaker stuck between two Marshall half-stacks... I think that may have redefined nobbiness!

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1467550125' post='3084451']
Jon shuker is putting some glow dots on the edge of my bass for this reason . I actually moved some lights during a song on the last gig rather that than go blind .
[/quote]

Do they work like luminous watches? And does the glow last a whole set? Could be a really good idea that one.

Saw a band last weekend and had to move away from the stage when the strobes started. Seemed they put more thought into the light show than the music. And it wasn't a stadium but a bloody car park...

We ended up leaving. So these things can have a negative effect on the audience too.

LED lights can be ridiculous, especially if they're moving, but I don't miss old fashioned par cans blazing away. I remember one small stage and I felt like my head was literally blistering.

Edited by scalpy

[quote name='Trueno' timestamp='1467550291' post='3084454']
Do they work like luminous watches? And does the glow last a whole set? Could be a really good idea that one.
[/quote] I didn't know about them until He showed me them on another customers bass , I haven't got my bass back yet So I can't report on how long they last .I just presume they will last .

The luminous dots do last all night, I think the led lights charge them. You can feel them on the edge of the neck but I don't notice them in the centre of the neck. They do slide about and fall off when they get warm. I like them though as the normal dots disappear under different colours, red mostly.

I was thinking of clear nail varnish over the top of the dots but that seems a bit drastic and permanent. Still thinking about it though.

When talking about LED lights are we talking about all LED lighting causing problems or just the moving scanner type. I have a full LED lighting rig that only gets occasional use but i make sure they are overhead and facing down on our band. I have lazer that points out to audience and projectors that face down towards flor from rear stands and 2 facing up from front of drums towards stage front ceiling. Only used via smoke machines to gain some effect. I've never heard anyone complain about the LED's. Used to have the good old PAR lighting and they would either blind or melt you by end of night. Extremely bright and extremely hot.
Is it swings and roundabouts which you go for.

I suffer from migraines and would hate to think my lights were triggering them to anyone.

Dave