Why become a member? ×

Southpaw Spotted

sblueplanet

7 hours ago, JottoSW1 said:

Fender American Professional Jazz. 3 tone sunburst + case. Stock Photograph only.

£748.00 Shoreditch London.

Seems a reasonable price if it's OK ?

I looked up the website it's being sold through. Everything looks too good to be true. I don't trust it. Also, alongside guitars they're selling random men's clothes which looks like John Lewis stock photos to me. I hope I'm wrong but they're discounting Fender stuff heavier than the big boys like Thomann so I think it's fishy.

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

I looked up the website it's being sold through. Everything looks too good to be true. I don't trust it. Also, alongside guitars they're selling random men's clothes which looks like John Lewis stock photos to me. I hope I'm wrong but they're discounting Fender stuff heavier than the big boys like Thomann so I think it's fishy.

Yes - my cow poop antennae twitched a bit 

Given I'm close-ish I might contact the dude and ask to have a look 

Hope you are doing OK @uk_lefty:? 

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, rasher80 said:

I emailed the seller and told them that a few days back. They said they were told it was a squier and it has a squier neck plate.

Squier or not, and it's not, that price is ridiculous.

3 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I emailed the seller and told them that a few days back. They said they were told it was a squier and it has a squier neck plate.

Squier or not, and it's not, that price is ridiculous.

The block inlays look wrong too - the 1st fret one is too square, there's a legit Squier up and you can clearly see the inlays are more rectangular looking.

It could be a coincidence but it also has Roswell pickups in it, which is very suggestive.

52 minutes ago, rasher80 said:

The block inlays look wrong too - the 1st fret one is too square, there's a legit Squier up and you can clearly see the inlays are more rectangular looking.

It could be a coincidence but it also has Roswell pickups in it, which is very suggestive.

Let's just call it what it is: a Fender sticker on a Harley Benton

• Haha 2

Some interesting German basses that I've been seeing on eBay for a while now:

Human Base JBX 5-string with an unusual type of bolt-on neck joint. It's a shame that finish is so dark you can barely see the flamed maple top anymore. Note the bit of masking tape on the bass side of the fingerboard, with fret markers and side dots drawn on with sharpie...

Very early Esh bass. I love the body shape, but I hate the 3+1 headstock (and the way that G-string is strung!).

2008 Warwick Corvette Standard 5 in the UK. 

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

Some interesting German basses that I've been seeing on eBay for a while now:

Human Base JBX 5-string with an unusual type of bolt-on neck joint. It's a shame that finish is so dark you can barely see the flamed maple top anymore. Note the bit of masking tape on the bass side of the fingerboard, with fret markers and side dots drawn on with sharpie...

Very early Esh bass. I love the body shape, but I hate the 3+1 headstock (and the way that G-string is strung!).

2008 Warwick Corvette Standard 5 in the UK. 

Dare I say the Esh looks like one of my old basses. Exact same woods and hardware.

I went through a phase of German basses when doing the odd German tour and 89 is about the right period I ordered.

The thing sang like no other bass I've had since.

Such a long time back I can't even remember why I sold it

• Like 1

On 04/04/2022 at 17:22, rasher80 said:

It is Harley Benton JB 75. You can tell by look of the headstock, rosswell pickups…and I got same bass😁

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Peter Popovic said:

It is Harley Benton JB 75. You can tell by look of the headstock, rosswell pickups…and I got same bass😁

Must be the Fender sticker and Squier neck plate adding £160 over the value of a new one then. GLWTS etc. 🤠

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There was a pretty Dean Electro Acoustic with a nice figured ash top on Gumtree in Leeds for a while. At £385 for a bit then reduced to £300. Nearly went for it on looks alone but it sold.

Now on Reverb in Manchester marked up to a cheeky £600 🤣🤣

Edited by JottoSW1
2 pretties

On 05/04/2022 at 20:57, whynot said:

Dare I say the Esh looks like one of my old basses. Exact same woods and hardware.

I went through a phase of German basses when doing the odd German tour and 89 is about the right period I ordered.

The thing sang like no other bass I've had since.

Such a long time back I can't even remember why I sold it

You've been through a succession of nice basses @whynot. Hope you're keeping well Sir ?

Your M2 is still one of my favourites, as I'm getting arthritic it's light weight is a boon. Have to play my Yamaha Trb & KSD 605 seated nowadays comfort strapp notwithstanding.

4 hours ago, JottoSW1 said:

You've been through a succession of nice basses @whynot. Hope you're keeping well Sir ?

Your M2 is still one of my favourites, as I'm getting arthritic it's light weight is a boon. Have to play my Yamaha Trb & KSD 605 seated nowadays comfort strapp notwithstanding.

Glad it found a good home and sorry to hear about you arthritis. Yes i've certainly done my bit for the lefty community over the years lol

2 hours ago, JottoSW1 said:

Zoot Iceni 4 String on eBay from a Manchester dealer. 

Looks a nice thing, keep on looking at it but £695 seems a bit steep really.

Looks ok. If it were cheaper and I hadn't just spent too much on kit already I'd want it, take it to Mike and have it defretted and less vulgar hardware fitted.

47 minutes ago, whynot said:

Glad it found a good home and sorry to hear about you arthritis. Yes i've certainly done my bit for the lefty community over the years lol

Keep wondering about your upright, very interesting. Would be a challenge without a doubt. Have you seen the mad upright in eBay weird and wonderful thread?