Why become a member? ×

Southpaw Spotted

sblueplanet

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

In other news, Bass Bros have a lefty Aria SB600

https://reverb.com/item/49057606-aria-sb-600-left-handed-1984-paduak-red

A very pretty one too. But as someone on Leftybassist.com pointed out, the pickup appears to be replaced. It's not the usual, radiused Aria Pro II pickup. It looks like a standard EMG DC style soapbar casing. The ad doesn't mention it. 

10 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

https://reverb.com/item/49057606-aria-sb-600-left-handed-1984-paduak-red

A very pretty one too. But as someone on Leftybassist.com pointed out, the pickup appears to be replaced. It's not the usual, radiused Aria Pro II pickup. It looks like a standard EMG DC style soapbar casing. The ad doesn't mention it. 

Was thinking the same though couldn't see very well from the photos. The Elite 1 I had was a lovely bass, this will be too, but at close to the price of a new MIM Fender, more than a Sire V7, it needs a collector who really wants this bass to buy it. I can't see it selling for £550 unless someone who has given up finding an SB1000 in lefthand jumps on it.

On 10/01/2022 at 15:37, uk_lefty said:

Yowzer. Sold for over £1,400. I know it's old and you don't see many but seriously?! Can you imagine a Squier Bronco you can get for £200 now going for over a grand in 30 years?

42 minutes ago, rasher80 said:

I had a feeling it might go for silly money. Certainly it's the first lefty I've ever seen 

I think I've seen one or two years back, never in that colour. But I thought, and could be completely wrong and can't be bothered looking it up, these were the cheap bottom of the range basses. Might even just be a guitar pickup in there? Obviously a few people know something I don't or want these so much they'll throw more than a grand at it... Or both!!

You're right there, they had guitar pickups in them as opposed to a single coil or mustang pickup. Sold as "student" models as well, so bottom of the range as you rightly said.

I often wonder how much a mustang would go for in these circumstances? I dread to think!

I don’t think £1400 for a factory 1972 musicmaster left handed is unrealistic.

the short scales fenders Mustang and musicmaster are highly demanded and in left handed very very rare.

I am sure a Mustang from 70s would sell for £2000-3000

Compared to this 1974 musicmaster lefty in blue, which was sold for 3250 USD as the seller told me.

That is 1.5 times the price of the eBay UK red 72 one, which is older and in much better condition

https://reverb.com/item/48005357-fender-daphne-blue-musicmaster-bass-left-handed-1974?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=48005357

Snap3.jpg

Edited by Bootsy100

That's properly silly money :o

It is a rare finish for a lefty I suppose (most lefties I've seen were white), and it's the earliest version with the old style tuners without bushings. But that's crazy!

I remember all too well when a fellow lefty I know owned three (!!!) Musicmasters and one Mustang, and sold two of his Musicmasters for between €650 and €900. The cheaper one was a '73 that was (poorly) routed for a Wide Range humbucker, and it took him a while to sell. This was around 2015-2016! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

I remember all too well when a fellow lefty I know owned three (!!!) Musicmasters and one Mustang, and sold two of his Musicmasters for between €650 and €900. The cheaper one was a '73 that was (poorly) routed for a Wide Range humbucker, and it took him a while to sell. This was around 2015-2016

I always think about resale when buying basses. There are so many better quality basses out there than Fender but it's Fender that keeps its value. Not criticizing Fender, they make really nice basses and I've had a few, it's just amazing how their second hand prices shoot up.

19 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I always think about resale when buying basses. There are so many better quality basses out there than Fender but it's Fender that keeps its value. Not criticizing Fender, they make really nice basses and I've had a few, it's just amazing how their second hand prices shoot up.

That's interesting. I never think of resale when I buy. It's always a purely emotional decision. I have never got on with the Fenders I have owned but they are still strangely desirable.

Having said that, my latest purchase (to be revealed soon) is not a Fender...

5 minutes ago, kevham said:

That's interesting. I never think of resale when I buy. It's always a purely emotional decision. I have never got on with the Fenders I have owned but they are still strangely desirable.

Having said that, my latest purchase (to be revealed soon) is not a Fender...

Haha I've got a "wishlist" on Thomann.... It's got there Sire basses in the list. Though I'll probably buy an MIA Jazz.

16 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

It's got there Sire basses in the list

Had a Sire V7 first gen. around 5 years ago. It was great until the tuners literally fell apart but to be fair, Thomann replaced them.

I've kinda gone off active eq since then but noticed that Sire are now doing passive basses.......

14 minutes ago, kevham said:

Had a Sire V7 first gen. around 5 years ago. It was great until the tuners literally fell apart but to be fair, Thomann replaced them.

I've kinda gone off active eq since then but noticed that Sire are now doing passive basses.......

Yeah I loved their first gen five string jazz, it was that bass that got me confident in active EQs. I'd always had two band or really rubbish actives before and never got on with it. I'm toying with their passive jazz for the neck, but I do like their active system, but it's a grand for the v10s that have both. Then there's the colour schemes on the v7s. But I like the D5 (is it D5, the fifties P bass?) Because I think a p bass will be more useful to me in the current band. I could get a V7 or V5 and a D5 for the price of a V10 and then there's no regrets........?

Edited by uk_lefty

On 20/01/2022 at 13:41, uk_lefty said:

But I like the D5 (is it D5, the fifties P bass?) Because I think a p bass will be more useful to me in the current band. I could get a V7 or V5 and a D5 for the price of a V10 and then there's no regrets........?

I fancy one of the D5s as well... I've always been interested in the "pre '57" precision if you like, but until relatively recently they just haven't existed. I'm just not sure if I could get on with the pickup. Maybe with flats on it would be a winner

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rasher80 said:

I fancy one of the D5s as well... I've always been interested in the "pre '57" precision if you like, but until relatively recently they just haven't existed. I'm just not sure if I could get on with the pickup. Maybe with flats on it would be a winner

Well, I should know how it is soon enough.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JottoSW1 said:

Burns Bass VI Black / Green  on Gumtree in Petworth (W Sussex) £375 . Seems a bit pricey. Are these latterday repros any good? They're relatively cheap new.

Not sure. I'd love to try one of these bass vi versions but I just can't see me ever using it for gigs. I wouldn't even know where to get a Burns new and with three sets of strings and in what looks like good condition that's probably a decent deal. I can't remember how much the Revelation lefty bass vi costs as a comparison.