Why become a member? ×

Southpaw Spotted

sblueplanet

26 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Well, over £1200 with still 2 days to go. That's me well, well put of contention. What a bass! 

I think there should be a bit to go yet. It is quite a rare beast but obviously the market for a lefty Status fretless is quite small.

1 hour ago, kevham said:

I think there should be a bit to go yet. It is quite a rare beast but obviously the market for a lefty Status fretless is quite small.

And at three grand new anything less than 2500 is a bargain. 

There should be a small market for my Aria, sadly its all Australians and Americans that want it and the cost of shipping prevents me selling it! 

2 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

And at three grand new anything less than 2500 is a bargain. 

There should be a small market for my Aria, sadly its all Australians and Americans that want it and the cost of shipping prevents me selling it! 

Absolutely. The market is very small and niche. Many of us on here have bought and sold to/from each other!

That Status could yet be a bargain! If I didn't already have an S2 and didn't have a bass on order and could actually play a fretless.........

On 09/08/2021 at 17:56, kevham said:

Absolutely. The market is very small and niche. Many of us on here have bought and sold to/from each other!

That Status could yet be a bargain! If I didn't already have an S2 and didn't have a bass on order and could actually play a fretless.........

Well, someone got a real bargain. Sold for £1220. Says a lot about the market at the moment.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've promised myself not to buy any more "vintage" instruments without being able to view them. Having said that if this is still for sale in a few weeks time I might well be making offers. Please save me from myself...

Aria Pro II ZZB Custom Bass Japan 80s LH https://reverb.com/item/44502153-aria-pro-ii-zzb-custom-bass-japan-80s-lh?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=44502153

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

Wow! That must be a real rarebird. Very cool, very eighties, and probably very heavy xD

Yep... I've got sale proceeds of another bass burning away in my pocket. But since my 80s band folded before it could start do I need a Washburn Status, an Aria SB Elite and this...? And do I need the headache of all the vintage bass gremlins again.....

2 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

How much more 80s than a headless S1000 could one ever need? It doesn't get more 80s than that! Well, maybe a Steinberger... :biggrin:

I had a Hohner B2A but couldn't get on with the string spacing, sadly, so I've "done" cricket bat basses. The S1000 through my Trace amp sounds phenomenal, not just phenomenally 80s. 

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

I had a Hohner B2A but couldn't get on with the string spacing, sadly, so I've "done" cricket bat basses. The S1000 through my Trace amp sounds phenomenal, not just phenomenally 80s. 

Can imagine. I briefly owned a B2A a year ago (but sadly had to sell because of funds, after one of the cam shafts in my Volvo broke) and it was fun, but the ergonomics really are something else. The string spacing was not unlike some of my 5-strings so that kinda worked for me. What troubled me most were the strap button positions. With the strap attached behind the 21st fret, it hung in such a way that the first position was awkwardly far away. I was surprised by how good it sounded though, with the active electronics engaged. Switched to passive, I think it sounded muffled and dull and lacked life. 

2 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

Can imagine. I briefly owned a B2A a year ago (but sadly had to sell because of funds, after one of the cam shafts in my Volvo broke) and it was fun, but the ergonomics really are something else. The string spacing was not unlike some of my 5-strings so that kinda worked for me. What troubled me most were the strap button positions. With the strap attached behind the 21st fret, it hung in such a way that the first position was awkwardly far away. I was surprised by how good it sounded though, with the active electronics engaged. Switched to passive, I think it sounded muffled and dull and lacked life. 

I think there are two versions, one with EMG pickups and one with pickups labelled EMC by Hohner or something. Mine had the EMGs and sounded stupendous passive but I've never got on with 2 band active EQs. They are odd though because the F feels sooooo far away because of the strap placement. That's never been a problem for me with the Washburn Status.

On 20/09/2021 at 20:19, uk_lefty said:

I've promised myself not to buy any more "vintage" instruments without being able to view them. Having said that if this is still for sale in a few weeks time I might well be making offers. Please save me from myself...

Aria Pro II ZZB Custom Bass Japan 80s LH https://reverb.com/item/44502153-aria-pro-ii-zzb-custom-bass-japan-80s-lh?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=44502153

Crikey. That is very much an acquired taste! Reminds me very much of bands I liked in 1987. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't seem to share it but on the Left Handed Guitar Sale/ Trade Facebook page there's an EIGHT STRING Rickenbacker. It's up for £4,500. I have absolutely no connection to the seller, items etc, I just noticed it now and thought it's bonkers and I'd share it with you all.

On 28/10/2021 at 09:35, uk_lefty said:

I can't seem to share it but on the Left Handed Guitar Sale/ Trade Facebook page there's an EIGHT STRING Rickenbacker. It's up for £4,500. I have absolutely no connection to the seller, items etc, I just noticed it now and thought it's bonkers and I'd share it with you all.

Here's an old advert for one

Lefty 8 string Rickenbacker

16356739730556020359667121766958-01.thumb.jpeg.6a309bdddacfc1ad59dadc24b27c91f2.jpeg