Why become a member? ×

Southpaw Spotted

sblueplanet

Don't look at this if you're hungover, particularly if you've been on the bourbon or whisky.. 

LEFTY Bass Mods Custom 5-String bass (strung righty): Poplar top, Birdseye Maple Fingerboard, https://reverb.com/item/37317838-lefty-bass-mods-custom-5-string-bass-strung-righty-poplar-top-birdseye-maple-fingerboard?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=37317838

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, grandad said:

Just spotted: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Left-Handed-Aria-Pro-II-CSB-380-Cardinal-Bass-1981-mij/124473752141?hash=item1cfb36ba4d:g:fBcAAOSwOXBfzMrv

I have one exactly the same but RH fitted with flats, built 1981.

It has a superb neck with a 32" scale. Medium weight, not too heavy.

Looks interesting!

How does the pickup sound?

The condition of that Aria looks superb, but I'm sure I've seen the same model go far cheaper. I think Arias from the 80s matsumoko era are having a resurgence (lucky I've got one!) but thought it would mainly be the SB ranges doing well on price... Then again I have joined an Aria SB Facebook group from which you'd think any Aria SB was worth a grand no matter what had been done to it. 

Speaking of which, for 800 there's a black Aria SB Elite I on Facebook in Northampton, lefty of course, looks in good nick. I really don't know if that's a good price or not, possibly not on ebay but maybe to an enthusiast? 

3 hours ago, rasher80 said:

Looks interesting!

How does the pickup sound?

Mine has flats, (make unknown), but is quite bright, not muddy, the tone control is very effective. Overall very well made and setup for a lovely action. I'm the 2nd owner and it was well looked after so a fine example.

The reason I posted the ad' was you don't see many lefties and if mine is typical then judging by the photos this may be a nice instrument. I paid £150 for mine several years ago. It would be good to try before buy.

Just found this old photo of my Aria & my Tokai.

image.png.8f9b7eaabbaf963a12e17fedfe5a83c3.png

The 2 share the same shape but sound completely different.

Edited by grandad
  • Like 1

On 07/12/2020 at 10:39, grandad said:

Mine has flats, (make unknown), but is quite bright, not muddy, the tone control is very effective. Overall very well made and setup for a lovely action. I'm the 2nd owner and it was well looked after so a fine example.

The reason I posted the ad' was you don't see many lefties and if mine is typical then judging by the photos this may be a nice instrument. I paid £150 for mine several years ago. It would be good to try before buy.

Just found this old photo of my Aria & my Tokai.

image.png.8f9b7eaabbaf963a12e17fedfe5a83c3.png

The 2 share the same shape but sound completely different.

Put a offer in on this but it went for the asking price of £310. Tried one of these in 1985 also a lefty. Sounded like a very good P Bass to me.

• Like 2

On 19/10/2020 at 12:13, LeftyJ said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Left-Handed-Warwick-Streamer-LX-Rare/114470113778?hash=item1aa6f351f2:g:U7oAAOSwV65fjFwC 

Looks nice! I don't like the photo's though, they all look like mobile phone screenshots from an ad placed elsewhere. 

Now on bass direct for £1,499. If anyone wanted it they should have bid £800 on ebay 2 months ago! 

8 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Now on bass direct for £1,499. If anyone wanted it they should have bid £800 on ebay 2 months ago! 

They do seem to like their mark-ups.

There seems to be one eBay bidder snapping up nice lefties at present.

A Gibson Les Paul tribute roadworn on eBay at present, bidding @ £475. Bidder appears to be same guy that picked up the Aria above.

Same vendor has a Sire version 2 V7 lefty bidding starting @ £185. Almost bid but I REALLY don't need another Jazz Bass.

1 hour ago, JottoSW1 said:

A Gibson Les Paul tribute roadworn on eBay at present, bidding @ £475. Bidder appears to be same guy that picked up the Aria above.

Same vendor has a Sire version 2 V7 lefty bidding starting @ £185. Almost bid but I REALLY don't need another Jazz Bass.

If it wasn't collection only I'd have that Sire.

A bit too far from the frozen North for me!

8 hours ago, JottoSW1 said:

It's a V3, the cheaper version. Even so, good price for a bass with that pre amp

7 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

There's a tanglewood violin bass back on, this time available for postage. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tanglewood-RVB-2-Beatle-Bass-Left-Handed/293906337496?hash=item446e2eced8:g:VskAAOSwildf3Jay

This is exactly the same model as my newly acquired RH one. I'm very pleased with mine, good build quality , it polished & setup nicely. I paid £200 with a hard case from Reverb.

Edited by grandad

• 3 weeks later...

That price is insane. This very bass has regularly been popping up on the Dutch site Marktplaats.nl for a price between 1000 and 1300 euros and proved a very tough sell - but was never advertised internationally at that time. The last seller I saw it from was a guy in Ezinge in the north of the Netherlands who had bought it for a project and didn't need it anymore. I believe he was asking 1100-1200 euros, up until just a few weeks ago. 

3 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

That price is insane. This very bass has regularly been popping up on the Dutch site Marktplaats.nl for a price between 1000 and 1300 euros and proved a very tough sell - but was never advertised internationally at that time. The last seller I saw it from was a guy in Ezinge in the north of the Netherlands who had bought it for a project and didn't need it anymore. I believe he was asking 1100-1200 euros, up until just a few weeks ago. 

Has the pound slumped that much already??! 😉