Why become a member? ×

Southpaw Spotted

sblueplanet

33 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

I get it, have been trying to broaden my horizons with some classical music, though in my band I'm playing riffs and root note eighths most the time if I stick to the original bass line. It's just some (not all, but a vocal few) people on the forum use their "I don't play covers" mantra to beat down anybody else's opinion because they are just so far above anybody else because they play originals only. 

Will steal/adapt anything that I like from whatever the genre. Do wish that I didn't have 57 y/old fingers mind you. Do like my Sire's trans blue finish, amazingly fetching for a cheapy. KSD looks nice, where the finish is still extant !!

• Like 1

Mike Lipe "the lip" 5 str left handed. 1992. Saw this had failed to sell at Gardiner Holgate Auction (£420) and tried to chase vendor up via auctioneers. Now on Reverb at a Guitar Shop in Ipswich. £1,495. More than I can afford, but this luthier a legend to rank with Mr Lull. Would love to try it out but probably best no to!

1 hour ago, JottoSW1 said:

Mike Lipe "the lip" 5 str left handed. 1992. Saw this had failed to sell at Gardiner Holgate Auction (£420) and tried to chase vendor up via auctioneers. Now on Reverb at a Guitar Shop in Ipswich. £1,495. More than I can afford, but this luthier a legend to rank with Mr Lull. Would love to try it out but probably best no to!

Not a pretty sight though 😓

https://reverb.com/item/34245265-mike-lipe-the-lip-custom-5-string-jb-left-hand-1992

The workmanship on the body is absolutely awful. I can't imagine that came from any respected luthier. The neck maybe, but that body... The wood isn't pretty, the bodyshape is a very rough approximation of a Jazz Bass but not quite there, the shape of the horns and the edges looks rough, the neck bolts are arranged weirdly, that leather pickguard looks awful (the square cuts around the pickup mounting screws! Come on!), and what happened to the back of the neck does not look like "light playwear" as described. For that price!? Hell no. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fair price, and the bridge is a cool upgrade! Interesting saddle alignment, I would guess the Kickass uses the same screw holes as the original Fender bridge yet the saddles of the Kickass are aligned all the way to the right to match the pickup poles and the neck. I wonder if that (mis)alignment prompted the bridge exchange. 

25 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

Fair price, and the bridge is a cool upgrade! Interesting saddle alignment, I would guess the Kickass uses the same screw holes as the original Fender bridge yet the saddles of the Kickass are aligned all the way to the right to match the pickup poles and the neck. I wonder if that (mis)alignment prompted the bridge exchange. 

Having put a Leo Quan Badass on my old P bass I don't think it did much for the sound. But then I wanted an old school sound and just put that bridge on out of boredom one day... Now that bridge on a jazz would be a different story.... Still, tis a good price for the bass. There's lots of tasty lefties coming up second hand at the moment, probably because I just bought a tasty second hand lefty. Sods law, eh? 

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, rasher80 said:

I'd be afraid to take it out of the case!!

I can see the romantic attraction of vintage instruments but don't know enough about maintenance to keep one myself. Also it would be interesting to compare it alongside a brand new USA Jazz to feel and hear the difference and see if it justifies 3x the price. 

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Lefty Warwick streamer LX on ebay in Birmingham, nice turquoise finish I've never seen before

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Left-Handed-Warwick-Streamer-LX-Rare/114470113778?hash=item1aa6f351f2:g:U7oAAOSwV65fjFwC 

Looks nice! I don't like the photo's though, they all look like mobile phone screenshots from an ad placed elsewhere. 

I had a Streamer LX and the body was flame maple, similar to that one but in a natural finish, not turquoise. All gold hardware, Bell brass frets... Very good quality bass. Was a lovely bass, one I'd love to have a go on again now I'm having a bit of a Warwick Revival due to owning a Pro Series Fretless. 

10 hours ago, josh3184 said:

Interesting that the back of the body is flamed maple too, I think they're usually swamp ash

The regular LX is solid flamed maple. The LX Jazzman has a swamp ash back, equal to the FNA Jazzman. I never understood why they're different. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
23 hours ago, bnt said:

Browsing ads here in Ireland, spotted this for sale. The seller might be open to shipping, it appears. It’s a Warwick Thumb JD Bass from 1987. 

Only weird bit with it is that the back of the headstock looks wrong. The tuners should be recessed with a ridge down the middle, like this:

t4b3ofaw7tbhe0rivxvf-jpg.655157