Why become a member? ×

Southpaw Spotted

sblueplanet

10 hours ago, josh3184 said:

This Yamaha 5er looks good too and I think the price is good but I don't really know them that well so can't really comment: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-TRB1005L-Left-Hand-Bass/184197871097?hash=item2ae30c75f9:g:jJ4AAOSw55peTY9O

Another one that's been listed before and didn't sell so an offer lower than the starting bid might work

That one keeps coming up I think. Personally, because Yamahas aren't really on the major retailers for lefties, I have no idea if this is a good deal or not. I don't know the model numbers, what they sell for new, etc. So it could be 40% of the original price or 10% over, I just wouldn't know. And though I know it will be excellent build quality there is nothing about it that makes me want it. 

Still, could be a bargain and the right instrument for someone. 

Edited by uk_lefty

• 2 months later...

Nice looking Westone Thunder 1A has come up on ebay at what looks like a good bid price, I have no association with the seller, I just like the idea of having one of these... 

Can't seem to copy a link... Anyway, it's on ebay under left handed basses right now. 

There's a 5-string KSD Proto-J 705 (the 70s style version, with maple board, 35" scale) on Leftybass.com right now, located in Italy. Upgraded with an Aguilar OBP3. Absolute steal at 300 euros. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

There's a 5-string KSD Proto-J 705 (the 70s style version, with maple board, 35" scale) on Leftybass.com right now, located in Italy. Upgraded with an Aguilar OBP3. Absolute steal at 300 euros. 

Interesting... There's one just come on Reverb yesterday based in London for £500....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes! Looks nicely made, and the electronics package is cool too. Old school EMG's and what looks to be a U-Retro or ACG preamp. I wonder where the hardware came from, the bridge looks a lot like a real Steinberger bridge. 

Edited by LeftyJ

Sadowsky "affordable" range now listed on Thomann at £759. Must be the ones licensed to Warwick... No pictures yet, I haven't read much on these either but assuming they'll be jazz and/ or PJ basses. 

We are getting more choice these days! Just in time for a massive recession. 

• Like 2

Sadowsky "affordable" range now listed on Thomann at £759. Must be the ones licensed to Warwick... No pictures yet, I haven't read much on these either but assuming they'll be jazz and/ or PJ basses. 

We are getting more choice these days! Just in time for a massive recession. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 15/05/2020 at 07:07, uk_lefty said:

Interesting... There's one just come on Reverb yesterday based in London for £500....

Both are very tempting, both in much better nick than my 605. UK one seems to have the original Pre-amp. Rather than repair mine's solder blobs etc I replaced with an Audere courtesy of @Chimike

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/06/2020 at 10:55, rasher80 said:

Saw this on Eastwood's site... every time I look at it I love and hate it in equal measure🤔

https://eastwoodguitars.com/collections/bass/products/eastwood-newport-bass-lh

Some of Eastwood's basses look like a sort of "Flash Gordon on Acid" nightmare to me. Each to their own I guess. Someone on Basses and Amplification FB Group loves his AK-47 Bass 😞😅

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, JottoSW1 said:

Some of Eastwood's basses look like a sort of "Flash Gordon on Acid" nightmare to me. Each to their own I guess. Someone on Basses and Amplification FB Group loves his AK-47 Bass 😞😅

Eastwood did a lefty flying V bass for a while. I would LOVE one of those! But you're right, there's some weird stuff they pump out that must be for a very niche audience. Glad we are discussing this in the lefty section so we don't have 10 pages of "I hate fender clones" 'but Leo got it right it's what people buy..' "it's not original, I don't care about commerciality, I only play originals and I only play notes that haven't been on top 40 records" and so the snore fest goes..! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

Eastwood did a lefty flying V bass for a while. I would LOVE one of those! But you're right, there's some weird stuff they pump out that must be for a very niche audience. Glad we are discussing this in the lefty section so we don't have 10 pages of "I hate fender clones" 'but Leo got it right it's what people buy..' "it's not original, I don't care about commerciality, I only play originals and I only play notes that haven't been on top 40 records" and so the snore fest goes..! 

Been delving into music theory for a while, was a bit familiar when I was doing my Bassoon grades @ School. So am doing my own stuff, primarily a home Bassist. Though Jams are improvs on familiar songs with my Pals, do like a Geddy attempt plus some guitar heroics.

Edited by JottoSW1

21 minutes ago, JottoSW1 said:

There's a really nice looking G&L Tribute 4 str on evilbay at the moment btw

Really liked everything about mine apart from the weight. It's a decent price that.

Just wish the default options for most lefty basses weren't burst/black/natural.

Obvs Fender and Sire are pretty good with this but other manufacturers should diversify just a touch. Come on!

Edited by rasher80

25 minutes ago, JottoSW1 said:

Been delving into music theory for a while, was a bit familiar when I was doing my Bassoon grades @ School. So an doing my own stuff, primarily a home Bassist. Though Jams are improvs on familiar songs with my Pals, do like a Geddy attempt plus some guitar heroics.

I get it, have been trying to broaden my horizons with some classical music, though in my band I'm playing riffs and root note eighths most the time if I stick to the original bass line. It's just some (not all, but a vocal few) people on the forum use their "I don't play covers" mantra to beat down anybody else's opinion because they are just so far above anybody else because they play originals only.