Why become a member? ×

July Composition Challenge - GET WRITING

Skol303

[b][color=#800000][size=5]July’s Composition Challenge is now underway![/size][/color][/b]

[size=5]Here’s the image for your inspiration, chosen by last month's reigning champ, [b]Mornats[/b]… [/size]

[size=5]Click on the 'Spoiler' button below to read the usual rules and caveats:[/size]

[spoiler]By entering the competition you agree to the Basschat Terms and Conditions and Forum Guidelines, which are designed to help ensure the forum remains free of offensive and/or illegal behaviour and material. In a nutshell:

[b]1) Please avoid any content that other forum users may find offensive[/b]. If your track contains explicit lyrics, for example, then please warn other forum users so they can choose for themselves whether to listen to it.

[b]2) Please make sure you have permission to use any 3rd party sounds included in your track[/b] (ie. sounds that you have not recorded yourself, such as samples of other people's music). The owners of Basschat accept no responsibility for infringements of copyright or other forms of legal ownership, which are solely the responsibility of competition entrants. If we spot any breaches of copyright then your track will be removed from the competition.

[b]3) Entries should be no more than five minutes long and written/produced during the month of the competition[/b], taking inspiration from the photo provided. No cheating![/spoiler]

If you have any questions, just ask.

[size=5][b][color=#800000]The deadline for entries is midnight on Sunday 24th July.[/color][/b][/size]

Here's some background on the photo that may help with inspiration.

I took this one back in 2009. I'd just hiked the Inca Trail in Peru and had arrived at Machu Picchu. I was standing on the terraces looking around shortly after dawn and managed to tear my eyes away from the splendour of the city. So this is the view from Machu Picchu, looking over the Urubamba Valley. The Incas chose this spot for their city partly for the view. So this is what happens if you turn away from what everyone's focusing on and dip into some peace, calm and beauty. I thought we could do with this after the events of the last week or so.

And please, no bagpipes!

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1467477024' post='3084006']
Here's some background on the photo that may help with inspiration.

I took this one back in 2009. I'd just hiked the Inca Trail in Peru and had arrived at Machu Picchu. I was standing on the terraces looking around shortly after dawn and managed to tear my eyes away from the splendour of the city. So this is the view from Machu Picchu, looking over the Urubamba Valley. The Incas chose this spot for their city partly for the view. So this is what happens if you turn away from what everyone's focusing on and dip into some peace, calm and beauty. I thought we could do with this after the events of the last week or so.

And please, no bagpipes!
[/quote]

:huh:
Wow, I have just been reading about a German tourist who fell and died there last Wednesday.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/german-tourist-plunges-death-while-posing-photo-machu-picchu-n602941

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1467484104' post='3084070']

:huh:
Wow, I have just been reading about a German tourist who fell and died there last Wednesday.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/german-tourist-plunges-death-while-posing-photo-machu-picchu-n602941
[/quote]
Is this your entry???

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1467567630' post='3084601']
Wow, that's sad to hear :(
[/quote]

I found it spooky that I had just been reading that article earlier,
then noticed your picture. (The article was trending on Twitter).
I suppose it can add another dimension for ideas.

It certainly looks like an interesting place.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1467699532' post='3085382']

?
[/quote]
You posted a link to something.... Normally people post links to entries in the challenge. It was a quip. Once scrutinised under the lamp of bad taste and the hue of shamelessness has been cast, it would appear that the humour is somewhat..... Lost. Forgive me. Let's move on.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1467840583' post='3086711']

You posted a link to something.... Normally people post links to entries in the challenge. It was a quip. Once scrutinised under the lamp of bad taste and the hue of shamelessness has been cast, it would appear that the humour is somewhat..... Lost. Forgive me. Let's move on.
[/quote]

No problem from me, and certainly no shame cast.
Humour wasn't lost either, I just found it to be a crap joke. :)

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1467477024' post='3084006']
I'd just hiked the Inca Trail in Peru and had arrived at Machu Picchu...
[/quote]

You are Michael Palin and I claim my £5 ;)

I'm tempted to go in a few different directions this month. Melodic "airy" electronica; stripped back acoustic ballad; classical ambience; or some dicking around with pan pipes. A combination of which would sound hideous, so I need to be selective. Hmmm.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1467897714' post='3087146']

You are Michael Palin and I claim my £5 ;)

I'm tempted to go in a few different directions this month. Melodic "airy" electronica; stripped back acoustic ballad; classical ambience; or some dicking around with pan pipes. A combination of which would sound hideous, so I need to be selective. Hmmm.
[/quote]

A technical term I've not come across..."dicking around with pan pipes" !!!

Edited by fingers211

[quote name='fingers211' timestamp='1467912480' post='3087291']
A technical term I've not come across..."dicking around with pan pipes" !!!
[/quote]

I could include a diagram of the process, but it would breach the forum's Terms & Conditions for decency :mellow:

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1467985437' post='3087829']
Every month I fancy having a go at this but alas the creative juices are just not flowing these days :(

Hopefully I will shake myself up and get back involved sooner rather than later :)
[/quote]

Go on...All you need is some Panpipes and a Penus this month, possibly your own ?
Although Skol seems keen to help out. :D

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1468082578' post='3088522']
I'm just gonna leave this here. [url="http://epipes.co.uk/products.html"]http://epipes.co.uk/products.html[/url]
[/quote]

That is funny , lots of chuckling at that , I am actually still not convinced it is real , more like a proper elaborate April fools :D

features blurb for the electronic bagpipe ........

[quote][list]
[*]Authentic Highland Pipes and Smallpipes sounds.
[*]Highly portable. Fits in your pocket: only 16 x 249 mm (5/8" x 10").
[*]Contains all the electronics as well as the battery: no extra box to plug in.
[*]Uses standard 3.5 mm stereo earphones: perfect to play on buses, trains etc. Ideal for the commuter.
[/list]
[/quote] :lol: