Why become a member? ×

5 string bass help

jonnywillmott

Hey guys I play a 4 string bass but want to move to a 5 for the music I play, I borrowed a ibanez sr 505 but really struggled to play clean as the strings seemed so close together compared to that on my 4 string esp bass. Is this pretty much standard with 5 string basses or is this mainly ibanez?
I'm playing low tuned metal so any recommendations would be perfect. I'm looking to spend in between 500-1000
Thanks

In my experience fivers do have a narrower spacing, anything from 16.5mm to 18mm. When I switched to five I had the same problem hitting the right string on 16.5mm spacing. Stick with it, you will soon adapt and you will never look back. Now I can transfer from 19mm on a four to 16.5mm on a five no problem.

Warwicks standard 5ers are also 16.5 at the bridge. Look for their broadneck models, these are a whopping 20mm. Warwicks are also equipped with 3D adjustable bridges too so you can fine tune the spacing.

They're also good for metal :lol:

You will be fine with a 18mm spaced bass I'm sure. The narrow spaces ones are a bit claustrophobic, the 20mm ones are a bit like playing a plank of wood, 18 is a good compromise. My Alpher and Dingwall are both set up to 18 and they play amazingly well.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1467468744' post='3083923']
In my experience fivers do have a narrower spacing, anything from 16.5mm to 18mm. When I switched to five I had the same problem hitting the right string on 16.5mm spacing. Stick with it, you will soon adapt and you will never look back. Now I can transfer from 19mm on a four to 16.5mm on a five no problem.
[/quote]
+1....stick with it, you'll get it

Edited by R.I.P.

[quote name='R.I.P.' timestamp='1467665935' post='3085276']

+1....stick with it, you'll get it
[/quote]
Since I posted this on the 4th I decided to switch from my 4 to my 5 after about 9 months playing the 4 exclusively. The 1st day or two was a little rough, but by last night I was playing with comfort....note I don't know what the spacing is.

Edited by R.I.P.

Everyone is going to have a different experience.
I've owned 5s that have had bridge spacing ranging from 16mm to 19mm.
Because swap between 4s (all 19mm) and my 5, but find 19mm a little much on 5s, I seem to have settled on 18mm.
Seems the most comfortable when swapping between 4 & 5 for me

Si

[quote name='blank20' timestamp='1468083366' post='3088536']
Check theese two
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/STST5SBS
https://gb.muzyczny.pl/143270_LTD-B-415SM-NS-bass-guitar.html
This Schecter looks stunning
[/quote]
I've tried the Schecter. Great bass.....definitely give it a look if you can.