Why become a member? ×

Worst musical equipment monetary loss you taken

Twincam

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1467301622' post='3082691']
Oh yeah and I sold a Squier MIJ silver series P bass I had while I was at university cos I had no money whatsoever.

I ended up with £80 for it, to a bloke who worked at a secondhand shop.
[/quote]

MIJ Squiers are awesome.IMO best value out there.

I have 2 MIJ Fender Ps. Just ad nice as the American Standards.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1467340074' post='3082962']
Back in the mid 70s an ex girlfriend stole and sold my 1957 pre CBS Fender Precision. Classic burst.

Blue
[/quote]

Ouch!

Friend of mine, his wife threw two US Strats and a MIM Telecaster out of a fifth floor window. Another one, his girlfriend chucked a 4x10 into a river.

Great times.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1467412937' post='3083605']

Ouch!

Friend of mine, his wife threw two US Strats and a MIM Telecaster out of a fifth floor window. Another one, his girlfriend chucked a 4x10 into a river.

Great times.
[/quote]

So, are you saying I got off easy? 😅

Blue

• 2 weeks later...

About 15 years ago I swapped an original 74 Telecaster Bass for a 79 Precision that turned out to be a dreadful bitsa.
Reckon I must've lost a grand on that deal; but the Tele sounded like mud and the P was at least bearable soundwise.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1467289425' post='3082541']

You hit the nail on the head there - Fenders were virtually unsaleable back then unless pre CBS - active basses with fat sound, or keyboard bass ruled. I have a slight chuckle to myself when I see the price some of those 80s Fenders fetch now.

It shows how the market is so influenced by fashion - you'd be as likely to see young guys travelling to London on the train to record on their keyboards (eg Depeche Mode) as guitars - perhaps more so - think Casio rather than Gibson etc!!
[/quote]

Back in 85 I swapped a heavily modded 74 fretless P and a horrible 79 Jazz for a 79 Ray and have always been happy with that deal, as the Ray was my only instrument for over 20 years....it was/is so good, that I was never interested in anything else. However seeing the price of 70s Fender basses now, it probably wasn't that good a financial deal; but IMO 70s/80s Fenders were generally pretty awful.

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1467322785' post='3082911']
Bought a Wal JG for £500 in Romford back in 88/89 but had to sell it when I returned to Scotland a year later.

Got £250 and a beat up SG.
[/quote]

Ouch!!

I bought a £300 power amp and killed it at it's first gig.

Which was a freebie as it was our singers birthday party. There were loads of people there and I had no backup. Was fairly embarrassing to boot.

Edited by bigjohn