Why become a member? ×

Victor Wooten at Bristol last night

Pukie

I must have seen most of his videos on YouTube but I still underestimated just how good he is...I need to practice more.
And seeing Anthony Wellington in the 'normal' bass role with his amazing Ying Yang Imperial was a nice bonus too... And wasn't expecting to hear a cover of LedZeps Kashmir either. .. And I got my YYS back I plate signed.

A quadruple win!!!

Excellent - and didn't realise [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Anthony Wellington was part of the band too.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Going to the Manchester gig tomorrow - can't chuffin' wait![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]EDIT - what was the stage time please?, any support?[/font][/color]

Edited by bagsieblue

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1467213499' post='3081995']
I heard he was playing through the new hartke class D head tx600. Anyone notice?
[/quote]

He wasn't playing through it last night, no - I was expecting that too, but just the usual LH1000. Some crazy effects though, all used really musically, I snapped a picture of his board to offer some inspiration.

The whole show blew me away! Stunning technical ability, groove and melodic ideas from all onstage. It was so much to take in that I'm heading up to London this evening to see it all again at Under the Bridge. I'm expecting I'll appreciate it even more the second time!

I went to the Gorilla to see him. First time I'd witnessed him live. His bass sound was every bit as stunning as I hoped it would be. Anthony Wellington has been with him for some time, providing the bottom end while Victor is soloing. His sound was more scooped, but still immense through his Aguilar rig (I'm getting more impressed by Aguilar the more I hear it), and he kept the groove going all the time. On a few solo spots, he proved he could slap as well as anyone.

Victor is a great personality and showman. He made some mistakes, especially on Norwegian Wood, which only goes to prove these players are human, too.

Derico Watson, his long-time drummer, was incredible. My only complaint is about Regi, his brother, on guitar. He displayed an amazing tapping technique, and on his solo spot he sang some good classic soul songs. However, once we'd seen his diddling for a couple of minutes, he should have stopped. Instead he carried on, and on...I think he was close to spoiling the gig. Luckily, Victor managed to turn it around with an incredible solo performance.

I think there will always be those that see him as a trade show preforming monkey, but getting up and close to one of the finest players on the planet, is testimony to just how great he is.

By the way, does anyone know what pedal he used to get the little arpeggio at the end of certain notes?

Edited by Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1467484159' post='3084071'] My only complaint is about Regi, his brother, on guitar. He displayed an amazing tapping technique, and on his solo spot he sang some good classic soul songs. However, once we'd seen his diddling for a couple of minutes, he should have stopped. Instead he carried on, and on...I think he was close to spoiling the gig.
[/quote]Glad I'm not the only one who thought this!

[quote name='Jonesthebass' timestamp='1467707995' post='3085454']
My understanding is we are getting a different set each night...
I saw them at Bristol on the tues and the bouncer was saying the set was changed from mon.
We didnt get Norwegian wood.
The Monday crew saw Jackson 5 covers....
[/quote]

Guess it keeps it a bit more interesting for them then, Earth Wind and Fire were also a feature at some point during the evening in Leeds.

In London we were treated by some guy in the audience going on stage to play with them.

Some guy called Janek Gwizdala. He'd brought a Fodera, but Vic and Anthony didn't sign his bass though.

They also played Earth Wind a Fire in London too.

I could not make the London gig cause I was already going to see Gary Clark. So, tripped up to Brighton to see the last UK performance Tuesday. Always a thrill for me to see him live. Some stuff seemed similar when he was in Camden last, but I love seeing him play.