Why become a member? ×

Really don't know what bass to get

jassbass

Ok having gone through a load of basses myself here is my way of thinking.
First how comfortable I am playing the bass.
Neck profile. I prefer thin as possible else I can't play.
Body size and shape am I comfortably hold the thing sat down or stood up. Can my arm comfortably get around the body.
String spacing does it feel right?
Oh pu position I either need the pickups to be in a good position for my thumb, or i need a thumb rest.
Can the bass be set up well?.
Then is it balanced well etc.

If all good only then I look into the tone. If I don't like it most likely it can be changed. But some basses have an inherent tone you can't get rid of completly.

Build quality, and esthetics take a back seat for me as long as I can play the thing without it hampering me, that's the most important part of buying a bass. Its tone can be changed but its core playability etc can't be. Although a good set up etc goes along way.

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='jassbass' timestamp='1467199465' post='3081819']
The squire jazz is upgraded,but need a second bass,tempted with a sire,I've had in past,great value
[/quote]

This.

For your budget (actually for a lot more than your budget!), you're unlikely to do any better. Especially if you had one before & liked it.

[quote name='jassbass' timestamp='1467198742' post='3081809']
I'm really unsure what bass to get,Ive got one cheapish jazz,I've had to cut right back to buy PA etc for new band. I'll have £400 maybe upto £500 at a struggle.I've lusted for a pbass but not sure. I play the usual pop rock,funk,blues
I've been through alot of basses in last few years.what will I do lol
[/quote]
What's left on your "want to try" list?

You'll be selling it soon :rolleyes:.

EDIT: Let me tell you why. You don't know what you want and when you get something that is very good, you don't find satisfaction as you are not qualified enough to know. I say this from experience, as I have done the same thing of going through lots of expensive and high end basses and never being happy for long.

My solution to this was to stop searching for 'the one' and realise there isn't such a thing. No one bass can do everything, and going for several varied (and even possibly cheaper) instruments is likely to help satisfy your daily whims and alleviate boredom of having just one expensive instrument.

Edited by Machines

[quote name='jassbass' timestamp='1467798226' post='3086279']
I've just got a Spector coda 5 with Aguilar ob3 preamp,good bass,but still not 100% lol
[/quote]
Well now we need to know, what does the Coda 5 look like did you buy it new or second hand what don't you like about it?

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1467798297' post='3086282']
You'll be selling it soon :rolleyes:.

EDIT: Let me tell you why. You don't know what you want and when you get something that is very good, you don't find satisfaction as you are not qualified enough to know. I say this from experience, as I have done the same thing of going through lots of expensive and high end basses and never being happy for long.

My solution to this was to stop searching for 'the one' and realise there isn't such a thing. No one bass can do everything, and going for several varied (and even possibly cheaper) instruments is likely to help satisfy your daily whims and alleviate boredom of having just one expensive instrument.
[/quote]

Preach!

I'm now in a position where I have an answer for any musical style/sound I need. The only thing I may add eventually is a Jazz type, but to be honest I'm not holding my breath.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1468423555' post='3090844']
If you don't know what you want, then get a good P-Bass as that is what 90% of bass players should have even if they don't know it.
[/quote]

sorry disagree with that entirely, a P bass is the last thing i want even if the song we are playing was recorded on one. if a tribute band then maybe but for covers anything goes

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1468431747' post='3090909']
sorry disagree with that entirely, a P bass is the last thing i want even if the song we are playing was recorded on one. if a tribute band then maybe but for covers anything goes
[/quote]

There is a reason why it is the most popular bass... and a lot of players would do themselves a huge favour if they had one. Especially the ones i see/hear.
The one thing a P-bass really shouldn't be is weak at underpinning a band...even gtrs know this which is why when bass players have a sound problem,
even the gtr player will say..get a P :lol:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1468437236' post='3090972']
There is a reason why it is the most popular bass... and a lot of players would do themselves a huge favour if they had one. Especially the ones i see/hear.
The one thing a P-bass really shouldn't be is weak at underpinning a band...even gtrs know this which is why when bass players have a sound problem,
even the gtr player will say..get a P :lol:
[/quote]

never had that problem

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1468437401' post='3090973']
never had that problem
[/quote]

Good to hear...
but generally the issue of the bass and the type of the sound people can be a big issue.
This is why the advice of boosting the mids is not always what you want..
The bass player will do it to cut through so he can hear...?? Ok.. but it can then start another problem
which means the band has no foundation..and this is most prevalent when basses lack the bottom end thump..which a P is famous for. Add this inbto a 3 piece where the bass has a huge supporting role when the grt goes to solo..

If bands don't think through or get a playback of their mix in context and only mix from the stage and for the stage.. the classic mistake could be a weedy overall band sound.

If people dep a lot...they hear this A LOT from those bands, IME.

And the bass is supposed to be the technical sound man in the band..??

Any band leader can tell the bass is where the band mix can get screwed..

Edited by JTUK