Why become a member? ×

NBD - Jag/Tele mashup

philw

So, I've had a neck lying around for a while that I've used on a couple Squire bodies. It's a neck I've always really liked, both for its look and general feel. It's quite a chunky neck (originally from a Squire Tele HB) but it's sooo comfortable.

Along with that, I've always loved the Fender Jag body shape, the Tele bass style control plate, and Surf Green. So when I found an eBay seller who'd do a new Jag body in alder and finished in Surf green for a reasonable sum, I sold a couple of less used basses and took the plunge. All the other bits are from various eBay sources.

Here's the result and I absolutely love it. It sounds really cool too (Entwistle pickups), and apart from needing a slight neck-shim, it went together with very little trouble.

[attachment=222269:Green Bass 1.jpg]
[attachment=222270:Green Bass 3.jpg]
[attachment=222271:Green Bass 6.jpg]

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1466885277' post='3079590']
Now wouldn't you think Fender would've thought of that? No wonder they're often moaned about.

What a superb looking instrument.
[/quote]

Thanks Andy. I actually have some sympathy with Fender (no, really, bear with me). You see, one of the problems with having a huge range of products in loads of styles and colours is that it fires the imagination of potential customers (and hey, that's the last thing you want). Once customers appreciate all the possible options, they begin to imagine all the unavailable combinations they'd actually quite like. Which is exactly what I did. If Fender made a Jag bass in Surf Green with a maple fingerboard I'd have bought one. Of course they could very easily make one, it's just that they don't.

I guess the first (only?) high volume manufacturing company to solve this problem was BMW with the Mini - the way Mini production is configured gives them incredible flexibility to make "custom" products without losing the benefits of continuous, line based massed production (they still I think say they've not made two Minis exactly alike). It would be fab if Fender (and their manufacturing partners) were in the same league so we could all just pick and choose from the huge range of possibilities. Can't see that happening any time soon though.

P

Nice one! Finally, someone's built a Fender I actually really like the look of...

I'm pleased it came together for you. I thought when you sold the neck a couple of months back you might have abandoned it.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1466901236' post='3079680']
Nice one! Finally, someone's built a Fender I actually really like the look of...

I'm pleased it came together for you. I thought when you sold the neck a couple of months back you might have abandoned it.
[/quote]

Hi Mike.

It was the neck from the my old Jag HB that I sold. This old Tele bass neck is really a bit special. Anyway, I'm really pleased too. The Surf Jag sounds amazing. The combination of the alder body (it's not a lightweight bass by any means), a really tight neck joint and the Entwistle pickups seems to work really well on the tone front. Wish I'd had it for the last Galleons album really.

Phil

PS. If it's finally a Fender you like the look of, why not build one, or I'll build you one. I was going to add up what I spent on bits at some stage.

That looks very very nice - Really like the Tele headstock with the Jag bodyshape and that style of pickguard.

What sort of tuners have you on it and does it feel neck heavy? Looking at the frets it looks like the upper horn is slightly shorter than the Jazz / Precision style bodies (maybe half a fret shorter?).

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1467004643' post='3080298']
That looks very very nice - Really like the Tele headstock with the Jag bodyshape and that style of pickguard.

What sort of tuners have you on it and does it feel neck heavy? Looking at the frets it looks like the upper horn is slightly shorter than the Jazz / Precision style bodies (maybe half a fret shorter?).
[/quote]

Tuners are Wilkinson I think (I changed them a while back from the standard and not very good Squire ones but can't really remember where the new ones came from). They're not particularly light-weight but the bass balances perfectly, mainly due perhaps to the body being pretty solid - it tips my bathroom scales at 4.1kg (9lb). The upper horn is more like a whole fret shorter than the one on my Squire P (shortly to be for sale I suspect). Really not a problem though.

Thanks all for the admiring comments. I really am seriously chuffed with the result. Finding it very hard not to keep looking at the thing, which of course means I keep picking it up and noodling.

Of course, anybody who happens to be nearby (Brighton) is very welcome to come and have a go on it.

Phil

[quote name='James Nada' timestamp='1467052914' post='3080849']
Very nice.

Did you have the neck pocket cut square to fit the Tele neck?
[/quote]

Actually had the neck pocket cut curved so I have the option to use a (more common) P or J neck. The scratch plate though is cut straight to hide the gap with the Tele neck.

P

[quote name='philw' timestamp='1466961675' post='3080045']
PS. If it's finally a Fender you like the look of, why not build one, or I'll build you one. I was going to add up what I spent on bits at some stage.
[/quote]

Thanks Phil.

Yeees... an idea of what it cost would help (mostly to make me sure I can't afford to do it :( ).

I agree with cocco, the Tele headstock is the key. Unfortunately I don't really get on with Tele necks, so I'd have to cut down a J-type neck, which shouldn't be too bad - I've got something which might do. Let me have a think.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1466885277' post='3079590']
Now wouldn't you think Fender would've thought of that? No wonder they're often moaned about.

What a superb looking instrument.
[/quote]
Totally agree looks brilliant and really retro. I don't think Fender want to think originally anymore, too busy churning out the same old same old.

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1467146046' post='3081537']
Totally agree looks brilliant and really retro. I don't think Fender want to think originally anymore, too busy churning out the same old same old.
[/quote]

Thanks Graham. Of course, the nice irony is that you describe the Surf Jag as "retro" and then berate Fender for [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]churning out the same old same old[/font][/color] :-).