Why become a member? ×

Fender Flea Signature Jazz Bass

NJE

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1468871438' post='3093970']

Luckily, when I do go for getting one second hand, seems there will be a lot around :D
[/quote]

What makes you thing we will sell?!?! Perhaps you know people too well ;-) :-D

[quote name='maldy' timestamp='1468873206' post='3093986']
What makes you thing we will sell?!?! Perhaps you know people too well ;-) :-D
[/quote]

:)

Maybe this time will be unique and everyone will decide this is the one bass for them and GAS will subside!! :D

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1468873989' post='3093995']

:)

Maybe this time will be unique and everyone will decide this is the one bass for them and GAS will subside!! :D
[/quote]

A cure for GAS is something I definitely need! Maybe this is why I keeping buying - to find a way to stop!!!

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1468874196' post='3093996']
And to think that Flea was given the bass by a fan! Also, how long before there's a Limelight copy?
[/quote]

Not sure how accurate this is, but it seems to be the story of the original bass. $35k!!!

https://m.reddit.com/r/Bass/comments/4sfvij/how_flea_got_the_worlds_coolest_bass_his_1961/d59oa2x

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1468870556' post='3093961']
relief improved, string height tweeted on the E, intonation done. I now have a very annoying buzz from the bridge spring on the G, a midge oo short by the look of it, anyone had this ?
[/quote]
It's probably a flea rather than a midge! 😂 (I'll get my coat!)

[quote name='maldy' timestamp='1468878052' post='3094053']

Not sure how accurate this is, but it seems to be the story of the original bass. $35k!!!

https://m.reddit.com/r/Bass/comments/4sfvij/how_flea_got_the_worlds_coolest_bass_his_1961/d59oa2x
[/quote]

Anthony kiedis intimidated a guy into giving Flea a bass, because Flea didn't have the money? Hmmm!

I think he may well have jumped at the chance of owning one of Fleas actual basses and then felt a bit silly afterwards. If any of it is true at all!

Yeyyee, just arrived. Lovely looking bass. I haven't measured how much it weights but feels around 9 pounds, only thing I noticed is the strings don't align perfectly with the poll pieces but honestly never had a jazz (or a fender) before and from what I understand it's not a big deal.

Arrived safe and sound!

After a quick weigh in, it appears to be 8.4lbs. It does feel light - possibly one of the lightest basses I've had. Before I ordered it I had no inclinations for a pink bass and was sure I would like it. But as soon as I opened the case I was immediately impressed with the look and feel of it. The colour combo with the pickguard is perfect and the shade of pink definitely has a vintage look to it. It is all very well done and I really like it.

It has a similar vibe like the RW Jazz. However, colour preferences aside I would say this is a better bass for me. I think it is because the neck feels better to me and maybe not quite as skinny (but definitely not fat). I think the nitro finish on the neck feels great. The stacked controls is all new to me, so I'm not sure what to make of it yet, as I've not fully experimented. I guess some may have preferences to the vvt on the RW Jazz.

Out of the box the set up is not too bad. I'm never one for a super low action, but I feel this bass could do with a slight tweak to get it a bit lower. This is just my preference though.

Sound wise it is early days for me, as I think there is a lot to be discovered here. It is very good though on a quick mess around.

I think overall the features versus value for money is truly superb. It is kind of why I bought it despite the many reasons I shouldn't have bought it! My heart kind of loves this bass for many reasons - I'm digging the vintage rw vibe at the moment and I guess Flea was one of the first bass players that really influenced me. However, despite all the positives I have, I've got this inkling that the bass may go back. This is shocking I know! I think it is a case of "it's not you, it's me"! I want to be a fender jazz person, but so far there's something physically that is not quite right for me. I'm going to play it for a bit and see if I can get over this.....

[quote name='maldy' timestamp='1468937356' post='3094479']
I've got this inkling that the bass may go back. This is shocking I know! I think it is a case of "it's not you, it's me"! I want to be a fender jazz person, but so far there's something physically that is not quite right for me. I'm going to play it for a bit and see if I can get over this.....
[/quote]

I am like that with every P Bass I try.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1468944747' post='3094567']
I am like that with every P Bass I try.
[/quote]

I used to think I hated p basses, but they seem to like me these days. Maybe I just need to admit I'm a p bass kind of guy!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1468949301' post='3094603']
Man, you might regret it! Andertons have announced USA products are rising in price.
[/quote]

I know, I know. I honestly love so many things about this bass from the looks, the specs, to the sound. I really want it to be the one, but I've got a far better gauge these days what works for me and I get a feeling that Fender Jazz basses don't. That makes me real sad.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1468696815' post='3092767']
I'm going to run a book on when the first one comes up 2nd hand... oddly I reckon it'll sell just as quick as it did new! :)
[/quote]

Do me a favour John, we ALL know it will be me :rolleyes: :blush:

Man, you might regret it! Andertons have announced USA products are rising in price.
[/quote]

Fender have as many annual price hikes as the Queen has birthdays! Nowt new there :-)

[/quote]

This is Mexican made, isn't it?

Finally managed to play with the bass a bit. Was setup ok out of the box, needed a little adjustment of the trust rod (just took of the pick guard and did it with a small screw driver), lower action. Once I got it right I have to say I really like the sound, plays nice and smooth. It's really growing on me

Tried one today in guitar guitar but just a quick pick up and noodle - not through an amp. I'm back over next Friday to collect some repaired gear so might try it out then and hear what its got.

Edited by krispn

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1468967663' post='3094840']
Tried one today in guitar guitar but just a quick pick up and noodle - not through an amp. I'm back over next Friday to collect some repaired gear so might try it out then and hear what its got.
[/quote]

It'll be gone by then!

I'll take my chances :)

I'd love to drop £900 at the enthusiasm of the forum members but the RW Dirnt model is more my thing. P body, P neck that CS'59 pick up. Since moving to a 5'er I find J necks a tad skinny and do have a thing for a 50's P bass.

Like I say if it's there next week I'll plug it in.

Mine turned up yesterday weighs in at 8 1/2 lbs only had 5-10 minutes with it so far.

The neck feels really thin, used to own a Geddy Lee, this feels just as narrow.

The relicing is well done, not a big fan of that type of finish but at least I dont have to treat the bass with kid gloves.