Why become a member? ×

Fender Flea Signature Jazz Bass

NJE

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1467457584' post='3083798']
Only 1 left at guitar guitar now, there were 3 this morning and 4 last night.

I've never seen a bass sell this quick, it has to be this thread, right?
[/quote]

Yes, according to the splendid Danny at the equally splendid Kenny's Music (brilliant service!!!) this thread has contributed.

Wish my bloody Adam Clayton would sell as quickly :rolleyes: :lol:

I'v had it in my basket about 7 times last night and this morning. There is nothing about this bass that I would usually go for, Fender, passive, 4 strings, roadworn, pickguard, pink, signature basses......but yet I want it so much!

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1467459829' post='3083828']
I'v had it in my basket about 7 times last night and this morning. There is nothing about this bass that I would usually go for, Fender, passive, 4 strings, roadworn, pickguard, pink, signature basses......but yet I want it so much!
[/quote]

That's a proper GAS attack Kev!

Something keeps me looking at them, I'm intrigued. Yet I have a lovely Jazz I prefer, no money, and I'm not even into relics. So I blame this thread, entirely. And perhaps that this would be cool to own with my Modululs. However I'm managing the GAS and keeping the credit card and Jazz Bass safe, whilst saluting those that got in quick.

[quote name='Markth30' timestamp='1467460038' post='3083829']
Is the U shaped neck profile noticeably different from the standard C profile?
[/quote]

I find them to be noticeably deeper, but not uncomfortably so at all.

I wish I could take decent photos :(

Anyway, in the interest of comparing Road Wornness :blink:

[URL=http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/007_zpsyqmrsugz.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/Karl_Altdorfer/007_zpsyqmrsugz.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/008_zpskgfjanvn.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/Karl_Altdorfer/008_zpskgfjanvn.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1467457979' post='3083806']

Yes, according to the splendid Danny at the equally splendid Kenny's Music (brilliant service!!!) this thread has contributed.
[/quote]

So with Kenny's, Andertons and GuitarGuitar (if they sell out) that's 9 sold this weekend. Amazing.

*sigh* head has to rule heart, this would just be something pretty to look at. If I turn up to band rehearsal with a pink bass with fake cosmetic wear I may end up leaving with very real, non cosmetic damage done to me by a bunch of metalheads! :lol:

I'm so very, very jealous though guys. Damn you all!

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1467465035' post='3083876']

I don't think it is a U-shaped neck. It certainly doesn't feel like it.

The description on Kenny's says it is, but the one on Thomann states it's a C.
[/quote]

I see.

It's like the mim Classic strats maybe. According to Fender there's a 50s with a soft V, 60s with C, and 70s with U. But they're so similar you could hardly tell the difference if there was any at all.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1467457584' post='3083798']
Only 1 left at guitar guitar now, there were 3 this morning and 4 last night.

I've never seen a bass sell this quick, it has to be this thread, right?
[/quote]

I think a few folks suspect this batch will sell out immediately and that seeing this, Fender might either cut corners on the next batch, up the price significantly, or even discontinue it. It's Fender after all :)

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1467460397' post='3083832']

Something keeps me looking at them, I'm intrigued. Yet I have a lovely Jazz I prefer, no money, and I'm not even into relics. So I blame this thread, entirely. And perhaps that this would be cool to own with my Modululs. However I'm managing the GAS and keeping the credit card and Jazz Bass safe, whilst saluting those that got in
[/quote]

With you there Dan

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1467468776' post='3083924']

With you there Dan
[/quote]

I believed you until you said....

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1467469532' post='3083934']
Anyone going to tell us how it plays and sounds?
[/quote]

Now I reckon you might buckle :) :) :)

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1467473141' post='3083966']

I believed you until you said....

Now I reckon you might buckle :) :) :)
[/quote]

Kinda hoping everyone's gonna say 'crap, sending it back in Monday' but also suspect, given Fender's recent track record, it may be a real gem. Really hope it's the latter :)

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1467474043' post='3083977']

Kinda hoping everyone's gonna say 'crap, sending it back in Monday' but also suspect, given Fender's recent track record, it may be a real gem. Really hope it's the latter :)
[/quote]

I hear you, right you are.

Luckily I already have a Jazz, so you're screwed mate ;)

[quote name='walshy' timestamp='1467481442' post='3084043']
You guys!! I've looked for days debating and Guitar Guitar now have 1 less 😉 Can't wait to get it, will sit nicely with my 2 Modulus Fleas 👍
[/quote]

That comment absolutely must have a picture to follow asap!

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1467483344' post='3084060']

That comment absolutely must have a picture to follow asap!
[/quote]

Yeah man as soon as it arrives! Sold out now so just in time. I've a black and a pink sparkle signature Flea so this will be a nice companion!

[quote name='walshy' timestamp='1467483672' post='3084063']

Yeah man as soon as it arrives! Sold out now so just in time. I've a black and a pink sparkle signature Flea so this will be a nice companion!
[/quote]

I have a purple sparkle Modulus myself and thought that'd look cool with the Jazz, but the two pinks you have will make a great set. Look forward to seeing that when you get it

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1467483767' post='3084066']
So, I've spent a little time with the Flea Jazz this afternoon tweaking it to my liking and I've also had a play of it through my practice amp and it sounds great. As mentioned before, it's a very loud bass before it's even plugged in, but it comes alive when amplified. I'm not going into detail regarding sound just yet as I would like some more time with it first. I would also like to have the opportunity to play it through my stage rig to see how it steps up there.

As mentioned before, it was pretty much good to go straight out of the box. The truss rod needed a tweak and I brought the action down a little, but other than it was bang on. The intonation was almost perfect.

I had a half hearted attempt at photographing the back profile, but it didn't work out so well, so I improvised!

I'm no expert, but my Blue Peter skills lead me to believe that the neck is more C than U shaped....

This piece of cardboard fits the neck at the fourth fret almost perfectly. The edge either side of the C represents the fingerboard level. I estimate the depth of the neck at this fret position to be just a fraction over 20mm.
[/quote]

Looks a U shape to me?