Why become a member? ×

Fender Flea Signature Jazz Bass

NJE

Ah, you've bitten the bullet too eh Lewis? :)
Nice to know I'm not the only one along the M4, who has way too many :o
I really need to trim the herd - but I just can't bring myself to do so
I mean, which should go? Not my fender Flea Jazz, not my RW Jazz, not my RW P, not my Squier CV P/J, Not my US fretless P....
Not my Shaftesbury, not my Double bass.... not..... lol

What did you trade for the Flea?
Not your (fairly) recently acquired Roadworn Jazz? :o

Over recent years, buying, selling & trading basses, I have finally found the ones I really like playing, and cannot fault
In other words, I've whittled it down to just 8 or 9! ;) lol

....hmmm, shall I take a quick peek at the marketplace?

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1485792245' post='3226710']
gigged my Flea for the first time in 5 weeks, yesterday. I still can't believe how good it sounds. I really like the sound with both pickups full up and wide open on the tone.
I'm nicely adding to the relicing too!!
[/quote]

Totally agree with you here. I'm generally not a tone wide open kind of guy! More of, it completely rolled off. However, exactly as you say it sounds so good both pickups on full and wide open.

I'm really bonding with the bass and haven't touched my other ones much since having this. It's funny that my other basses do other things better than the flea bass in some departments. But, for me at least, there is some that just fits and work really well with this bass.

• 2 months later...

It seems the initial buzz of these is over and plenty are popping up for sale....so I nabbed one ;)

Only picked it up this evening but after a quick nervous neck-off job to tighten the rod a little and a quick set-up to get the action nice and low it seems I have myself a rather wonderful sounding and playing jazz bass. Pickups are punchy and have a wonderful character to them. I haven't owned a Jazz in years and years but it sounds as good as I could have hoped. Really impressed with the relic job too, much much nicer in the flesh than in pictures, much more realistic look and feel to it.

I'm looking forward to giving it a crack at volume at my next rehearsal.

• 10 months later...

I've now got one of these!

I was feeling uninspired by my old bass recently so made the decision to move it on. I was unsure what to go for as a replacement but after finding a good deal second hand for one of these decided to give it a go. After meeting up with the fella selling I was pretty impressed with the quality of the instrument. Acoustically, it sounds huge so when I plugged it in it obviously sounded even better. I've been tinkering at home with it and have been delighted with the playability and overall quality of the bass. People have reported super low weights of the basses but this is one of the heavier ones at 9.2lbs but I prefer a little weight to my basses anyway. Despite this, I still had to see how it fit with the band to know whether it was a keeper or not. 

Fast forward to yesterday when I met up with the band for songwriting and a gig in the evening. After a short period of adjustment the bass sounded fantastic. It cuts through the mix perfectly but feels full enough to fill out the songs too. I'm still experimenting with pickup levels but currently favouring neck pickup on full and bridge pickup 2/3rds on with the tone rolled off slightly. Seems to give a sort of precisionesque tone but brighter. 

The thing I'm particularly enjoying is just how easy this bass is to play. It makes playing seem so much easier. The guy selling told me he had the bass setup at The Gallery in London so would definitely recommend heading there for anyone in the local area.

Thats all really, just wanted to share my delight at finding a great bass!  

I'm in the market for a new bass and while in my local music shop picked up and played one of these. It's definitely got that vintage vibe, is very light compared to my own Jazz, and has a really nice punchy sound. It was set up nicely too, and was very playable.