Why become a member? ×

Fender Flea Signature Jazz Bass

NJE

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1469795921' post='3101099']
Not for me. I have always wanted a Roadworn Fender. I have always wanted a shell pink Fender. I have been interested in stacked knob Jazz basses for a while. I had no clue these would hit the market as a sig model with quality pickups etc.
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1469795921' post='3101099']

Not for me. I have always wanted a Roadworn Fender. I have always wanted a shell pink Fender. I have been interested in stacked knob Jazz basses for a while. I had no clue these would hit the market as a sig model with quality pickups etc.
[/quote]

Agree (despite mine going back). Think these basses tick lots of good boxes and this explains why they have been so popular.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1469793179' post='3101077']
fad

noun

an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived; a craze.
"some regard green politics as no more than the latest fad"
[/quote]

Yup, that's me :D

BUT, I was the first to receive one so I'm the trendsetter. :on_the_quiet:

Never thought I'd say that!

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1469812345' post='3101296']
I'm not quite sure I follow the logic here. How is buying used a guarantee that it's sound as a pound?
[/quote]

Unless I am mistaken, the majority of buyers in this thread bought blind off the internet, as opposed to playing in the shop and choosing (I know not all). From what I'v read, its been a complete lottery. 2nd hand, I would always take the opportunity to try such an instrument before buying, thats mainly where I was coming from. But yes, if it didn't go back to the shop in the first place, its probably a better one.

Edited by Kev

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1469823897' post='3101385']
Thomann are now showing them at £1001 (exchange rate is hurting now) and not back instock until Sept 21st.
[/quote]
The sad little gear snob inside me, does baulk at the thought of paying a grand for a MIM.

Gigged mine for the first time last night and loved it! It did need some work and a set up but plays like butter now. I've got a CS 59 relic which weighs not far off a pound lighter and I honestly can't feel the difference on a decent strap. Leads me to think the weight obsession we can sometimes have with guitars is overrated. Not that the flea is a heavy bass at 9lb of course.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1469868684' post='3101561']

The sad little gear snob inside me, does baulk at the thought of paying a grand for a MIM.
[/quote]

I think that about all these Mexican signature models, I thought the mex stuff was ok years ago for £4-500, I bought a strat for £459 when they still had genuine usa pickups, it was nice but not a grand or more, used USA just makes more sense to me.

My thoughts on this bass is that it's classic Fender QC once again, a few absolute diamonds likely the equal of some Pre-CSB instruments (and it sounds like a few folks on here have been lucky enough to get such examples), a few absolute dogs equivalent to the worst of the late '70s (which mine was, heavy, lacking in resonance, misaligned and faulty), and the vast majority sitting between those extremes, many of which are no doubt very playable and decent instruments.

What I should have mentioned in my post was that after the PUP stopped working I took off the control plate to have a look. I did so VERY carefully. I've never seen such poor soldering, I'm not great at it but even my solder joints look infinitely more tidy and functional than did those in my bass. Guess what, while I had the circuit out, ANOTHER WIRE DROPPED OFF A POT, JUST DROPPED OFF!!! It was shocking and explained entirely why the front PUP had stopped working in the first place. Two wires off pots in less than 20 minutes from new! I dread to think what else was going to happen had I kept it :rolleyes:

I doubt I'll ever buy another new Fender. The lack of respect they must have for their customers to let such instruments through QC is quite incredible.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1469876170' post='3101659']
My thoughts on this bass is that it's classic Fender QC once again, a few absolute diamonds likely the equal of some Pre-CSB instruments (and it sounds like a few folks on here have been lucky enough to get such examples), a few absolute dogs equivalent to the worst of the late '70s (which mine was, heavy, lacking in resonance, misaligned and faulty), and the vast majority sitting between those extremes, many of which are no doubt very playable and decent instruments.

What I should have mentioned in my post was that after the PUP stopped working I took off the control plate to have a look. I did so VERY carefully. I've never seen such poor soldering, I'm not great at it but even my solder joints look infinitely more tidy and functional than did those in my bass. Guess what, while I had the circuit out, ANOTHER WIRE DROPPED OFF A POT, JUST DROPPED OFF!!! It was shocking and explained entirely why the front PUP had stopped working in the first place. Two wires off pots in less than 20 minutes from new! I dread to think what else was going to happen had I kept it :rolleyes:

I doubt I'll ever buy another new Fender. The lack of respect they must have for their customers to let such instruments through QC is quite incredible.
[/quote]

Weird. Mine is absolutely spotless.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1469876170' post='3101659']

[/quote]

:blink:

Whilst Fender QC is awful at the best of times, this is the first run of a new signature series. Who the hell is checking these guitars before they ship and define a whole line!

[quote name='danhkr' timestamp='1469876446' post='3101667']
Weird. Mine is absolutely spotless.
[/quote]

My point exactly, some are lovely, others are dogs. It's poor QC not poor manufacturing generally. Re the wiring on mine, I really wish I taken the time to take photos of both the inspection tag and the wiring.

And when folks like Sandberg are shipping out basses with flawless set up and quality, it seems crazy that Fender can not be more consistent. Clearly they have desirable products, but they just seem to be letting themselves down.

[quote name='maldy' timestamp='1469885119' post='3101776']
And when folks like Sandberg are shipping out basses with flawless set up and quality, it seems crazy that Fender can not be more consistent. Clearly they have desirable products, but they just seem to be letting themselves down.
[/quote]

They are letting their potential customers down also. I have been a victim of their dreadful QC in the past and it cost me.
Sure if you get a good one and so on, but I have no interest in entering the Flea bass lotto as I will have to buy sight unseen. The thought of having to ship returns till the right one comes along is just a ridiculous proposition IMO and is not for me. I deserve a better service more consistent product and the evidence on this thread suggests Fender once again are unable to deliver.

Edited by leroydiamond

I've found the 2012 onwards USA consistently good to be fair, my own USA Jazz 5 was only a few hundred quid more than a new Mex in some cases looks like a few hundred quid well spent, I also got a deluxe hard case included.

I like the look of the Flea, make it in the states properly and include a case for £1400 and it would be a good collectors bass imo.

I wonder if they will make a US version of the one he is actually playing?

I would love one but I am way to tight to pay that. But it is good to know that there are loads bought, so loads will be in the second hand market soon (in fact, considering the length of this thread, I am surprised that some aren't there already!), so in a few years if I still want one I can get one.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1469911512' post='3101997']
I like the look of them tbh but an off the hook black Stingray is probably going to be more use for anyone in a Chilis tribute band, granted most people here just wanted them for what they are. The stack knob Jazz actually pre dates Flea himself by two years.
[/quote]

Or one of these bad boys

[URL=http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/chiliwailer/media/Flea/1%2017_zpsw2updny2.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah227/chiliwailer/Flea/1%2017_zpsw2updny2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Hard to believe he used these for about 20 years, time flies. Though a Jszz is great for playing along to the later albums.

So, our drummer, on Facebook gig advert "will Karl have another new bass this week?" Cheeky git. Anyway, always one to oblige, the Flea made it's 1st appearance.

I've still not got round to setting it up, although I did sort the neck relief a touch.

I think the Metallica numbers Nothing else matters straight into Enter the Sandman summed it up perfectly (how DOES one spell segue/segwe blah).

The 1st song, I use really smooth, bassy John Paul Jones (Zep 11). Except for the end bit where I change to growl for the heavy bit. That heavy bit leads, via a drum fill, straight into Enter the Sandman, where the growl continues.
The change was simply to turn the neck pup tone rotary from notch two, to full treble. Job done!
I had the bridge volume on about 1/3rd and the tone on notch three. Never touched that all night. All tonal changes done on the neck pup.
Great sound, simple to change throught the (limited) tonal variations I need.
The neck is really excellent, for me. It is slighty deeper than most jazz necks I've played, but it just fits my hand perfectly.
I do a short tapping lead in You Really Got Me (don't ask why :blush: ) and it rang out really clearly, no loss of dynamics.

At the end of a lively 1st set, drummer boy actually said it sounded like a Rick on Enter The Sandman. Not like him to notice :o .

So, in summary, the one negative for me is the small side dots are difficult for me to see in some lighting.
A versatile jazz that's got a great tonal range, is light (mine is very light), and is already supplied with dint's to fit the drummers head, when your are hitting him to keep time. And the Lurch dancers didn't worry it either :mellow: .

Sorry for those who received sub standard ones as this bass, to me, is a very good, giggable, versatile, unusual looking bass.
Might even get round to setting it up :P

[URL=http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/13892233_1171134309573300_2612398302830762417_n_zpswzl0djhi.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/Karl_Altdorfer/13892233_1171134309573300_2612398302830762417_n_zpswzl0djhi.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1469944226' post='3102130']

Or one of these bad boys

[URL=http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/chiliwailer/media/Flea/1%2017_zpsw2updny2.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah227/chiliwailer/Flea/1%2017_zpsw2updny2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Hard to believe he used these for about 20 years, time flies. Though a Jszz is great for playing along to the later albums.
[/quote]

Yep, cool as! I still fancy a Funk5 at some point.