Why become a member? ×

Pedalboards at the same time as playing

Woodinblack

Anyone here use pedalboards at the same time as Bass (and maybe singing)? If so do you have a problem of losing track of what you are playing, and how do you feel it fills in the sound?

I have a Keith McMillen 12 Step which I have never actually used live as the group I was in when I got it didn't really need it, but my current group I could do with some backing.

I can connect to a hardware synth or an iPad, but was wondering if people had any experience of using them.

Having re-read the OP again, here's an answer to the question you asked, rather than the question I thought you asked.

I do it with DarkSky. You can check out some of the results on the soundcloud via my sig. We are (or were, currently looking for a vocalist), guitar, bass, drums and vocals. The keys add quite a lot to the sound and make it possible for the guitarist not to chug away on chords all the time (although he does like doing that as well) and allow me to play a more complicated and less chordal-supporting part on the bass. Any questions, please PM me - my rig is detailed on the 2014 post in this forum where you were originally asking for advice. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/222721-foot-keyboards-or-something/"]http://basschat.co.u...s-or-something/[/url]

It does take a bit of 'stamina' in balancing on one foot for the whole song, and you can't wear Doc Martens - something small and grippy like the Converse Geddy Lee wears is useful. Unless you've got a really big stage, it doesn't add too much to the stage 'act'.
cheers

Ralph

Edited by RalphDWilson

Hands up as I can't do this. Trying to sing and play bass is already stretching my ability without messing with patch selection etc..
When playing in my band I just concentrate on the bass and have individual stomp box type pedals and manage that fine.
Our guitarist on the other hand uses a whole lot of pedals including one programmable one and also vocals pedals. He ends up tap dancing on occasions such is his dedication to getting the sounds that he wants.
It clearly is possible but needs a lot of dedication and practice to get it right. Hats off to those who can do it.

I've done midi pedals (Roland PK-5) and bvox along with bass playing in a couple of bands and they may get wheeled out in the current band at some point in the future. It's handy the OP has mentioned the 12 step as I was on the verge of either starting a new thread on them or dredging through for old threads to resurrect. The PK-5's take up a fair amount of stage space so I'm dabbling with the idea of a 12 step and the interface I'd need to my sound module. Would love to demo some to try before I took the plunge of buying, not sure if anyone near me has a set though.
It is down to practice but it is also about being sensible and what you can comfortably do. Standing on one leg for whole songs does get tiring so try to figure out where keys are really needed and if you can put breaks in, do it. I've also found that in fact such backing has much more impact (if you are the only person doing any keys at all) if used on some songs rather than everything. People will soon tire, especially if you use similar patches on different songs, and it just becomes a background noise even if you are working your arse off. Organise set lists so you aren't doing pedals on too many consecutive songs if possible.

I had a practice with it, and it is ok with soft start pad sounds, but not good for fast notes. However, I think there is scope for using it.
I did want some pk-5 at one point but they do take space, the 12 step really doesn't but maybe it has less feel on the keys

Found somewhere online thats doing the 12 step for £179 with free delivery, getting tempted. If I can master the little button keys with the pointy end of a boot it might be feasible, the PK-5's will take up too much stage space for some of the places we play.