Why become a member? ×

Cali76 TX settings

Basszilla

Any users on here?

Just wondering what settings people use...more out of curiosity than anything. Ratios/attack/ release etc.

Anyone do any recording using the di and high gain mode?

At the moment I'm using mine as a second channel for an album I'm recording. The other channel has a NS10 speaker inverted on my cab with a sft hooked up after the cali in the signal chain. Serious weight on the sound.

Not a user yet, but it's on my shortlist along with an Effectrode PC2A, and Keeley Bassist Compressor. The Effectrode is slightly ahead because I can use it for guitar as well but will be interesting to see what people suggest.

It's a nice comp kiwi, pulling up to 16db at peaks when I dig in but it doesn't sound like it. From what I can gather, lots of people are around 4:1 and for good reason, but I've also used it around 8:1 to great effect.

It's great because you can play soft passages below the threshold without triggering the comp and it then responds effectively when you dig in and exceed the threshold.

• 3 weeks later...

The manual has some suggested settings which could be worth a punt and I seem to recall some demo vid with bass only clips on their site. I have the germanium version and pushing the input and output along with the germanium drive all up full gives meaty filthy tone. I'm sure pushing your input and output would give some flavour of filth worth mic'ing to hear in a mix of recording time permits?

I've mine set around 4:1 with the peaks hitting about 10-16db attack and release to taste or if I was needing just a filthy tone I'd drive it hard as described above. Actually I'd love to record it at full filth and mix it with a clean signal to hear the results.
They're great tools to have st your disposal these Cali's

Edited by krispn

Yes they are excellent. I am using mine for tracking a new album I'm doing. Pbass>cali76>SFT>board and a mic on the cab. Sounds great.

I think during the next recording session I'm going to bring the ratio closer to 4:1 and slow my attack down a bit to let the note pop through before the action. As you say, I can drive the input/output to fine tune the sound from there .

Cracking bit of kit.

I cranked mine at rehearsal on Sunday for a bit of mid practie filth and it allowed me to do a decent version of Hysteria by Muse. A tight, compressed driven sound - even the band leader said "I'm not sure of the song but I like the sound!

Nice. Have you got the version with the boost as well then?

During last night's tracking I brought the ratio down to around 5:1 with a slow attack and fast release. Pulling 16db at absolute peaks. Sounded great. New strings on the pbass. The song is a mix of fingerstyle and slap and it kept my volume in check moving between them. I tend to leave the unit in high gain mode.

Have you messed around with the jumpers inside the unit at all? From what I understand there are three options gain wise. I haven't touched mine but may take it off my board and experiment with them.

Nice! I didn't realise they did a version with a germanium drive as well. Bet that sounds rad.

I have the standard TX version which adds in some nice harmonic content. I use my sft for an additional push and eq sculpt into my matamp.

I may change the jumpers to see what happens headroom wise. Think you can get more saturation from the transformer that way.

Do you know what the attack and release ranges are?

Edited by Basszilla

• 6 months later...

I totally missed your reply on this. I can't recall the attack and release times but I have read them somewhere in the past.

I'm actually interested in getting a swap for my Germanium version - they were a limited edition of 100 units - for the Iron Core TX version as I think the extra colour from the transformer would be great with my tube preamp.

Do you have any finished clips from the recording session you mentioned above?

Hi Krispn, sorry only just saw reply.

I recorded my band's debut album with this setup and we had the test presses back from the vinyl plant yesterday. Unfortunately there is a little glitch in one of the songs so it is being recut.

I have a cd copy of the master but there is nothing up online at the mo. As soon as it's available I'll update this thread so you can have a listen.

I used a pbass into my cali76 through to a sft set for mild push, and into matamp rig. It sounds great to my ears, weighty and full with a subtle growl.

Yeah I'll update this thread asap 👍