Why become a member? ×

The Smiths/Morrissey

Truckstop

'Singles' or 'Louder than Bombs', which is another great compilation.

'The Queen Is Dead' is magnificent from start to finish, as is 'Meat is Murder' if you can get past Mozza's bloated piano introduction to 'Last Night I Dreamed That Somebody Loved Me'.

Saw 'em twice in their heyday (to my daughter's disgust) and wasn't blown away on either occasion. They did some superb stuff though-'What difference does it make?', 'Panic' and 'Heaven knows I'm miserable now'-especially the way it annoyed all the happy clappers-are my favourites. I love some of Morrissey's solo stuff too, but still think the bloke is a colossal knob.

And who could forget "the boy with the thorn in his side" .... When I was younger, that song really did make me realise that gay people are entitled to love too... I know that may sound a bit odd now, but at an age when the subject had not had much consideration from me personally, it really did confirm to me that it's totally wrong to deny otherwise.

Love is love, miserable mixer taught me that. :)

Plus..... The video for that song opened with an introduction from one of my all time absolute favourite lunatics, Ivor cutler. (Whom I love more than the smiths). :)

Edited by Wonky2

Louder Than Bombs is a great place to start and features some very tasteful basslines. Back To The Old House is a particular favourite and is very subtle and melodic. Andy Rourke is an incredible musician and well worth listening to and learning from. He was barely out of his teens when he recorded the bulk of their work. He had an ability way beyond his years. What I particularly like about his bass lines is that they stand alone as really nice pieces of music in their own right. He's also a really nice, friendly guy.

It's also worth noting, if you're trying to transcribe his lines that he often tuned up a tone to F#.

Im a fan of ´some of The Smiths singles, as I never got time to sit down and listen to their full albums (I'm sure I would feel miserable in the end, lol), but I got hook on them the first time I heard "This Charming Man" - what a nice bass line!!!

Queen Is Dead was my favourite of theirs when I was younger, Meat is Murder and Strangeways are great records though the latter has some especially bittersweet Morrissey genius on it.

Who couldn't love a band that opens an album with the line 'Belligerent ghouls run Manchester schools'!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgNfTx9pGzA