Why become a member? ×

The Smiths/Morrissey

Truckstop

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1466504784' post='3076259']
What I do with a band that has a back catalogue like The Smiths is to start with their Singles/Best of Compilation and work from there.
[/quote] +1... Then maybe try The Queen is Dead album ... it's probably the most accessible apart from the the 2nd half of the debut album. The same if you're want to get into Morrissey's solo stuff as well ... Go for the greatest hits then either the Vauxhall and I or Viva Hate albums.

There are quite a few Smiths singles that don't appear on their regular albums, so you may miss out on some top tracks by sticking to Best Ofs or Greatest Hits etc. Having said that I can't think of any decent examples right now so I'm hoping someone who knows what they're talking about will be along soon to help me out here.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1466509966' post='3076320']
Probably their most consistent album - at least from the ones I've heard - and very accessible. Wasn't it [i]Strangeways [/i]that the band themselves thought was their best?
[/quote]

Wikipedia says 'Morrissey and Marr feel the album is the band's best, with Morrissey asserting that, "We say it quite often. At the same time. In our sleep. But in different beds"'

I can't remember which is my favourite, but thanks to this thread I'll give them a listen again with fresh ears after a few years away.

Edited by toneknob

For me, a self-confessed fanboy, I would recommend Hatful of Hollow. It's technically a compilation of singles and Peel sessions, but I think it captures them at their absolute best. Couple it with The World won't listen and you've got an excellent representation of their best material right up to Strangeways.

They were incredibly consistent live. I have more than 40 live bootleg recordings of them and they were spot on every night. Rank, their official live album was pretty good.

I've always put 'Shoplifters of the World Unite' up there with 'How Soon is Now?' - both having a similar vibe for me (and I've great memories of listening to my personal Smiths mixtape on headphones whilst crossing the Oakland Bay Bridge on holiday back in the 80s).

They always annoyed me for some reason, due no doubt to a stupid sneering teenage disdain on my part for things that other people liked, but I taped this off John Peel and always thought it was flippin' ace, the lyrics and energy and everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIaHNUfajcQ

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1466520608' post='3076459']
They always annoyed me for some reason, due no doubt to a stupid sneering teenage disdain on my part for things that other people liked, but I taped this off John Peel and always thought it was flippin' ace, the lyrics and energy and everything.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIaHNUfajcQ"]https://www.youtube....h?v=kIaHNUfajcQ[/url]
[/quote]I could never get into the Smiths, not heard that track before, you're right it's very good, maybe I should give them another go, I do like some of Morrisey's solo stuff, always thought was singing more on that and not just wailing

Spent years not listening to them because I couldn't stand Moz but got a best of in recent years and really enjoy it. Not enough to become an obsessive collector but they had some great tunes. I got The Sound of the Smiths off Amazon, 23 songs which I guess is as good a place as any to start, should give you a good flavour of them and they're something you'd be interested in.

Morrissey always has and always will get right on my tits, can't stand the bloke. I used to let this colour my opinion of the whole band and their songs, but thankfully I've outgrown that and can really appreciate their stuff now. Although I still listen to it despite Moz rather than because of him :lol:

I can't help it, I've always had a love for the smiths...

Am I still ill ? Is s great track.

Morrisey and Marr were absolute vile to the rhythm section boys, really, quite vile.
Still, based on their music, not their ethics, fantastic.