Why become a member? ×

34" V Jazz Style Basses with 24 frets (or at least 22) Help

knoxy26

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Hey guys,[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]just looking for a bit of advice re. finding a bass, that isn't insanely expensive.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Basically, I'm looking for a Jazz style bass, in 34 Scale with 24 frets.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I currently play a Lakland 55-02 as my main bass, which I love the sound of but when I play something like a musicman Stingray V, or Fender Jazz I find I am some much more comfortable and my left-hand doesn't get fatigued as easily when I'm playing on the first 5 frets. Shame I don't like the sound of musicmans [/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Im looking to get something with 24 frets, (I play lots of chordal stuff and want the extended range) that won't totally break the bank.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Im interested in the sires but want the extra frets![/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I played a Mayones Jabba the other day but didn't get on with it straight away. It was set up really badly thought so kind of want to give it another chance.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Just looking for other suggestions.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Cheers guys![/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Matt[/font][/color]

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1466339647' post='3075035']
How about a 24 fret Maruszcyk Elwood?

[url="https://www.public-peace.de/index.php/bass-guitars/maruszczyk/elwood/5-string/1531-elwood-5a-24-human-nature160042"]https://www.public-p...an-nature160042[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks guys.

These bases look really interesting. great price, just need to try one!

Gonne shoot the guy a mail

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1466352129' post='3075187']
Warwick streamer stage 2. Bit different to a traditional J type but you may be pleasantly surprised.
[/quote]

Yes I might try and seek on of these out too!

+1 for Maruszczcz... those Polish Basses.

I got an Elwood L5A, along the lines of this one but with Haussels.

https://www.public-peace.de/index.php/bass-guitars/maruszczyk/elwood-l/5-string/444-elwood-l-5a-flamed-maple160114

I didn't realise it at the time, but I was effectively sacking my Lakeland on the spot.

Bit of a long shot, but a Thumb 5 has 26 frets and the access to the high frets is excellent making chord work ridiculously easy. It's active/passive with Jazz pickups.

And conveniently enough, I have on to sell ;)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/282128-warwick-thumb-5-nt-1989/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/282128-warwick-thumb-5-nt-1989/page__fromsearch__1[/url]

Depends what your budget is, but Xotic do really great 'super' Jazz basses, and they do a 24 fret version too.
Certainly also checkout Maruszczyk, I would have bought an Elwood 5 if my Xotic XJ-1T 5 hadn't blown me away :)

Si

You don't like the sound of an MM and my Fender AM Std Jazz V only goes to 20 frets, so how about fixing what's wrong with the Lakland? If your hand is fatigued playing your Lakland I doubt it's because of the 35" scale. The difference between a 34" and 35" from the nut to the 5th fret is only .251 inches so something else has to be causing this problem, unless you're trying to play chords below the 5th fret or the action is too high.

Maybe you could get the bass hanging more comfortably on the strap. Try lengthening it a little and tilt the neck up more so that the head stock is closer to you. Move your hand so that you don't have to stretch for the notes and lower the action so that you need less pressure to make the notes.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1466495125' post='3076182']
Sadowsky m24 or r24?
[/quote]
Yeah these look nice, just at the very top end of my price range. Hoping to also get some electronic goodies at the moment so would rather spend a little less.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1466496498' post='3076192']
Depends what your budget is, but Xotic do really great 'super' Jazz basses, and they do a 24 fret version too.
Certainly also checkout Maruszczyk, I would have bought an Elwood 5 if my Xotic XJ-1T 5 hadn't blown me away :)

Si
[/quote]

Need to check out xotic they look and sound great!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1466505553' post='3076269']
You don't like the sound of an MM and my Fender AM Std Jazz V only goes to 20 frets, so how about fixing what's wrong with the Lakland? If your hand is fatigued playing your Lakland I doubt it's because of the 35" scale. The difference between a 34" and 35" from the nut to the 5th fret is only .251 inches so something else has to be causing this problem, unless you're trying to play chords below the 5th fret or the action is too high.

Maybe you could get the bass hanging more comfortably on the strap. Try lengthening it a little and tilt the neck up more so that the head stock is closer to you. Move your hand so that you don't have to stretch for the notes and lower the action so that you need less pressure to make the notes.
[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion Chris. If only it were my setup or playing style. I guess when I said fatigued, I didn't mean it to the point where I can't play ect. or I am having problems with injuries. I've been playing 35s and gigging regually with them for the last 5 years + and dont get me wrong they are fine.

I know its the age old controversy does it make a difference between 35 and 34. To me it I definitely feel a fairly marked difference. Particularly when playing more demanding left-hand repetitive groove lines,on the first five frets. Addmitadtly that's probably a combination of the shorter scale and tighter string spacing on a lot of MMs and Fender Jazz's, compaired to my 5502. But my comfort, speed, and feeling of mobility is so much more natural on the 34s I have played compared to the 35s. But yes there are a lot of factors in the mix, so it's never gonna be just one or the other. But I definitely lie in the it does make a difference camp, regardless of how small the measurements are. After all, it's about how it feels, right? :yarr:

Edited by knoxy26

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1466644717' post='3077570']
Fair enough.

I don't know your budget but there have been some very interesting 34" scale Sadowsky's in the classifieds recently.
[/quote]

Yeah I saw those. they look really cool.

You have got me thinking about how I would feel on a 35 with a smaller string spacing than 19mm. That's what I have had on all the 35s I've played over the years.

Perhaps that's something else for me to look into.

Ive been chatting with guy at [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] M[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]aruszczyk. There are just so many crucial choices. At the moment I'm deliberating over string spacing.... I might just look into adjustable bridges [/font][/color] :mellow:

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I like the MM which I believe is 17.5 and I have also been playing a MIM Jazz deluxe, not sure what that is. All websites seem to be a bit cryptic about the string spacing on fender Jazz's but I would guess its about 18mm.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Then nut width.... perhaps I'm over thinking it ha ha.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

I prefer a wide space at the bridge and a P-Bass nut.
You are looking at a custom build, then you'll need to know which one suits.

I don't think you can commision until you've worked which one will work best.

I still think the McIntryre is best bang for buck..