Why become a member? ×

Is bass your priority?

BrunoBass

Basschat is, obviously, populated by bass players, but there seems to be several drummers on here that play bass, guitarists that play bass etc. I play bass in a band but I also do my own acoustic Singer-Songwriter thing. How many of you do other musical activities, and are your extra curricular adventures just a sideline where your bass playing takes priority or is bass itself just a minor part of your activity?

I play lots of other instruments, but none that I'd want to appear in public with. When people ask me what I do, I tell them I'm a bass player. That may of course be gross misrepresentation and tantamount to a terminological inexactitude, but that's what I say nevertheless. :D

Edited by discreet

Bass guitar is just one instrument that I play. There have been periods in my life when I would have regarded it as my primary instrument, mostly when playing bass in a band, but these days it has slipped down the pecking order. I would probably say it was my 4th instrument, after keys, nyckelharpa and melodeon.

The last time I played bass "properly" was on a recording project & a one-off gig for somebody & that was about three years ago. Since then I've only played guitar, and for the last nine months or so I've played nothing at all.

Edited by RhysP

I probably spend an equal time playing guitar as bass although in the band, I am the bass player. I go for guitar lessons and find both instruments give pleasure depending on how I'm feeling.

Interesting question. As a priority, I suppose it comes and goes, depending on what my focus is at the time. Bass is the instrument which I'm most familiar with, by far, and it was also the first instrument I learned, so it has that over other instruments. I was playing percussion more than anything for the last year or so though. Totally absorbed in it, and not thinking a great deal about bass (hence my hiatus from Basschat), so I guess that percussion was my priority. However, a new project has got me back on bass, so, aye, the low end has become my priority again. Subjective, I know, but it's like the weather. It changes, and it's good to just go with the flow and not get too hung up on what we are. That said, when we're in it, it can become all-encompassing. It's a mindset. I'm thinking like a bass player, rather than a singer, or a percussionist (both of which I also do). A side effect is that I'm also thinking about bass, and gassing for bass stuff that wouldn't have even occurred to me 6 months ago. In the future, other things will become my priority, but bass is always there to take its rightful crown.

I play guitar, keys and drums to a passable standard largely now just for fun and jamming purposes but all were learnt initially as a means to improve my bass playing.
I guess I could therefore technically class myself as a multi instrumentalist but to be honest I'd actually consider myself to be a bassist/vocalist in fairly equal measure (although I reckon bass would edge it if I was pushed).

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1466177379' post='3073922']
Bass is my number one priority when it comes to musical instruments because it's the only instrument I play. I have no inclination to play any other instrument.
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1466168380' post='3073821']
Basschat is, obviously, populated by bass players, but there seems to be several drummers on here that play bass, guitarists that play bass etc. I play bass in a band but I also do my own acoustic Singer-Songwriter thing. How many of you do other musical activities, and are your extra curricular adventures just a sideline where your bass playing takes priority or is bass itself just a minor part of your activity?
[/quote]

Playing music has always just been peripheral to my involvement in it. I've always preferred working in live sound production (from which I retired a few years ago) and musical electronics repair/mods/building to playing bass, guitar, or keys, all of which I do enjoy too. I used to alternate for years at a time between concentrating on bass or guitar, but for the last decade it's been all bass. Might be time to finally buy a nice keyboard and shed on that for while soon though. But with all that said, I still consider my self a tech first and a bass player next.

Edited by Passinwind

Although I'm the main composer in an original progressive rock band, I'd still say bass first - and it's the only instrument I'd take onto a stage with me. Also the first instrument I learned to play and the only one I pick up & play for the joy of it.

However for me it's not the best compositional tool, and through necessity I'm a reasonably competent guitarist. At times when I haven't been in a band, I've predominantly played guitar and really only picked up the bass when a recording needed it.

In the past I've dabbled with keys but not really in the last 15 years or so. I can drum a little, which is useful when writing but my recorded drum parts are all sequenced. I've fronted bands before, but singing these days is all just backing vocals - I can hold a tune, but my voice redefines "unremarkable"!

Jon.

I've played more guitar in bands than I have bass,always thought of myself as a bass player though, I just sort of ended up getting drafted to do vocals and I can't play bass and sing at the same time and I feel naked unless I'm holding something.