Why become a member? ×

Stingray versatility?

TRBboy

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1466192577' post='3074091']

If I had only one bass, it would be a Stingray.

While a Jazz with its two pickups could arguably be more 'versatile'... a Stingray is not exactly a one trick pony. You can get a wide range of sounds out of a Stingray. It's not just changing pickups, but the EQ and let's not forget the style you play in. You can make a Stingray sit back in the mix or be prominent and cutting, or anything you want. If you *need* a typical two-pickups-on-full-Jazz sound... well, no, the Stingray doesn't make that sound. It doesn't sound like a P if you need that specific sound. But can it sound right for any style? Yes, you can make it sound right.

For me, the Stingray sounds great and I don't have problems fitting into any band with it. It feels just right too. That's why it's my favourite bass. If I wanted versatile I'd have kept the L2000 with its two pickups and many switches, or the Warwick Corvette $$ with even more options. But the truth is, to me, the Stingray sounds better than any of the multitude of sounds those two basses can make. So... which is more versatile in the end? The Stingray, for me, as it works for me everywhere.
[/quote]

Very well put. :D

The single pick up Stingray is a very versatile beastie, largely because, as has been said previously, if you vary plucking position and style you can get quite a range of quite different sounds - and you can vary between fingerstyle funk and cutting slap without changing any settings. Ed Friedland covers this really well in his review - all of that's before you touch the EQ - code for 'powerful, working tone controls'. The 3 band version adds even more versatility.

I can understand those people saying they use one sound all night. I echo this sometimes - but other times, even with the same group, I really like the idea of three significant variants on the same theme at the flick of a switch. This is where the HH Stingray is great. An example - a song the band plays has a funky rock blues guitar riff with spacious funk bass part and some unison bits - ideal for the traditional Stingray fat and punchy sound - the middle 8 spaces up with a softer sax solo, ride symbol and little or no guitar - the bass part is very reminiscent of a mid 70s Jamerson
-like line and cries out for a thinner, single coil sound - when I'm playing my HH Ray I simply select it with the switch - not impossible to change feel if I'm using the 2 band Classic, but MUCH more effective on the HH. Similarly, some songs need a more scooped slap sound (not quite but almost Mark King) - the normal Ray slap is ok but probably too fat and non hifi simple flick of the switch on the HH - both pick ups on full.

Yes one sound is very possible all night (especially on an H Ray, which has such dynamic range) - however the HH version gives you all that plus four more very usable sounds at the flick of a switch - great for cover bands or functions/shows.