Why become a member? ×

Stingray versatility?

TRBboy

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hey everybody! I've been away for quite a while, but it's nice to be back. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Sooooo, the title of my post is a bit inaccurate, but not completely misleading. I'm considering ordering another Sandberg, and I've got it in my head that I really want a Basic 5. I know single humbucker basses, such as a stingray, aren't maybe as versatile as a dual pickup bass, but there's just something special about that single pickup, perfectly placed..... Even more so with the Basic to my ears, because the pickup is slightly further forward than a ray. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Despite the obvious limitations, I think that with eqing, different strings, different techniques, etc, etc, there's probably quite a few sounds to be had. If you compare famous ray players like Bernard Edwards and flea, they have very different sounds, and I know Andrew Levy used a ray on a lot of the early brand new heavies stuff, but I wouldn't have instantly identified it as one. I've also heard people playing rays with a sound not a million miles away from a p bass. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So, I was just interested to know everyone's opinion really, how versatile do you think these sort of basses are? Would you be happy to have a ray as your only bass? Do you feel you could manage to use one in any musical situation? [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Thanks for your input. [/font][/color]

Edited by ped

Strings and hands play a large role in the sound you're gonna get. I bought mine (ebmm Sterling 4H) just to get [i]that signature sound[/i]. I don't want or need it to sound like a bass I don't own (ie. a P-bass), besides there's no substitute for the real thing.

Could I be happy with just the Sterling? No, that's why I have a DJ4 too. No matter how you EQ it, the Sterling just can't sound like a J-bass, likewise the DJ4 can't sound like my Sterling.

A MusicMan bass in general bites and barks like there's no tomorrow, it can be tamed but sometimes you need someting more docile.

Edited by Treb

Ed Friedland reckons their pretty versatile, gets quite animated about it in this review - about 4.05 - 4.55

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlMStrT5A6M"]https://www.youtube....h?v=TlMStrT5A6M[/url]

I feel I can get my 4H ray to sound a lot like my P bass, but yes you can tell the difference. However, I haven't heard any other bass that gets close to the sound of a ray - that doesn't have the humbucker in the sweet spot. All the MM/P type basses its too close to the bridge, among other limitations (pickup type, preamp, woods etc).

Edited by No. 8 Wire

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1466097151' post='3073356']
I liked my Ray.

Now I've gutted it and loaded it with 2 EMGs I love it
[/quote]Is that with an EMG replacement for the original PUP , and another in the HH position?

Got any pictures? As I was half debating whether to do this to mine - EMG MM PUPs don't seem to have a lot of love , but I'm really interested in how this mod pans out

MM usa Sterling is even more versatile'er'er ....?!?
Amongst a few changes from the stingray, The pick up toggle gives absolute versatility.

http://www.music-man.com/instruments/basses/sterling

Strung with flats, i just cannot rate this bass highly enough.... Same scale length but shorter end to end, jazz profile neck, very light, transparent clear tone or deep gut punch, it does it all.

Personally, id never have a ray over a sterling.
Can be picked up for silly money too £600-950

(Get back in ye pram! I said personally! Hahaha)

Edited by Wonky2

[quote name='E sharp' timestamp='1466103249' post='3073424']
Is that with an EMG replacement for the original PUP , and another in the HH position?

Got any pictures? As I was half debating whether to do this to mine - EMG MM PUPs don't seem to have a lot of love , but I'm really interested in how this mod pans out
[/quote]

Probably this guy:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS-tpgPFUpI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS-tpgPFUpI[/url]

[quote name='Wonky2' timestamp='1466105106' post='3073440']
Amongst a few changes from the stingray, The pick up toggle gives absolute versatility.

[url="http://www.music-man.com/instruments/basses/sterling"]http://www.music-man...basses/sterling[/url]

Strung with flats, i just cannot rate this bass highly enough.... Same scale length but shorter end to end, jazz profile neck, very light, transparent clear tone or deep gut punch, it does it all.

[/quote]

Nice bass! Love the colour. Matching headstock too?

Thanks for all the replies guys! I appreciate that a dual pickup bass is always gonna be more versatile, but there's something quite special about a single pickup in that sweet spot...... I was just really trying to gauge how versatile people think that single pickup can be, and if you'd be confident to take this type of bass on any type of gig.

If I do go ahead and order a Basic, I think I might also install a series/parallel/split (neck coil) mini toggle switch. Combined with the 3 band eq and passive mode with treble roll off, it should make it about as versatile as possible!

Is that with an EMG replacement for the original PUP , and another in the HH position?

[/quote]

Yes. The EMG version of the MM in the usual position and a 40DC at the neck. Vol, Vol, Tone.

I'll find a photo tomorrow.

[quote name='Wonky2' timestamp='1466105106' post='3073440']

[url="http://www.music-man.com/instruments/basses/sterling"]http://www.music-man...basses/sterling[/url]

[/quote]

I use my Sterling in a wedding/function/corporate band and could be playing Etta James one minute and Justin Timberlake the next so I need something that can do it all.

MIght sound cheesy and it has been said before but the sound really is in the fingers or rather where you position your right hand, how hard you hit the strings, if you pluck with your thumb or use your other fingers and so on.

I get a wide variety of sounds just by doing this. I don't use effects and I don't touch the EQ after the sound check.

I've always disagreed that you need a multitude of basses to get the job done, certainly when playing live - in my type of work changing basses mid set isn't an option so I have had to learn to adjust my sound in another way as explained above

Edited by Delberthot

My preference is for a great sounding bass rather than a versatile bass. I look to get the best sound I can and stick with it. Most people I've heard don't actually change their sound much when they're playing.

My first 5 string was an SR5. It was good but I replaced it with a Lakland which I thought was better. I did hear an SR5 2H with piezo. Now that [i]was[/i] versatile [i]and[/i] sounded great, but it's not your typical Stingray.

[/quote]

Here it is

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1466150906' post='3073649']
My preference is for a great sounding bass rather than a versatile bass.
[/quote]

I think I'm with you on that, I hold a strong belief that a bass is only as versatile as the player.
Any bass of any pick-up configuration can do any genre really but it's the player and what he does with it that really makes it work! :)

Of course you can play any style on any bass, in the same way you can drive any car to work. It's just how suitable it is in terms of sound, and whether you are aiming to emulate something or make it unique.

A Stingray will never sound like a P or a J.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1466157080' post='3073707']
They are just as versatile as a Precision bass, if not more so. A HH or HS will cover more ground than a Jazz....IMO.
[/quote]

Agreed, but I believe this thread is around a normal single H Stingray.

SR's do everything I want. There is loads of sound variation just by moving your right hand around the pup, plus the EQ, toggle and string choice. Then you have the amp and pedals to play with if you want too.
I've had lots of basses and Stingrays are my favourites as I have never been disappointed in the results when playing live-not so with some of the others.
Note: I have a fretless Stingray too which also sounds superb.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1466150906' post='3073649']
My preference is for a great sounding bass rather than a versatile bass. I look to get the best sound I can and stick with it. Most people I've heard don't actually change their sound much when they're playing.
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1466091861' post='3073307']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hey everybody! I've been away for quite a while, but it's nice to be back. �� [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Sooooo, the title of my post is a bit inaccurate, but not completely misleading. I'm considering ordering another Sandberg, and I've got it in my head that I really want a Basic 5. I know single humbucker basses, such as a stingray, aren't maybe as versatile as a dual pickup bass, but there's just something special about that single pickup, perfectly placed..... Even more so with the Basic to my ears, because the pickup is slightly further forward than a ray. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Despite the obvious limitations, I think that with eqing, different strings, different techniques, etc, etc, there's probably quite a few sounds to be had. If you compare famous ray players like Bernard Edwards and flea, they have very different sounds, and I know Andrew Levy used a ray on a lot of the early brand new heavies stuff, but I wouldn't have instantly identified it as one. I've also heard people playing rays with a sound not a million miles away from a p bass. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So, I was just interested to know everyone's opinion really, how versatile do you think these sort of basses are? Would you be happy to have a ray as your only bass? Do you feel you could manage to use one in any musical situation? [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Thanks for your input. �� �� [/font][/color]
[/quote]

If I had only one bass, it would be a Stingray.

While a Jazz with its two pickups could arguably be more 'versatile'... a Stingray is not exactly a one trick pony. You can get a wide range of sounds out of a Stingray. It's not just changing pickups, but the EQ and let's not forget the style you play in. You can make a Stingray sit back in the mix or be prominent and cutting, or anything you want. If you *need* a typical two-pickups-on-full-Jazz sound... well, no, the Stingray doesn't make that sound. It doesn't sound like a P if you need that specific sound. But can it sound right for any style? Yes, you can make it sound right.

For me, the Stingray sounds great and I don't have problems fitting into any band with it. It feels just right too. That's why it's my favourite bass. If I wanted versatile I'd have kept the L2000 with its two pickups and many switches, or the Warwick Corvette $$ with even more options. But the truth is, to me, the Stingray sounds better than any of the multitude of sounds those two basses can make. So... which is more versatile in the end? The Stingray, for me, as it works for me everywhere.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1466192577' post='3074091']

If I had only one bass, it would be a Stingray.

While a Jazz with its two pickups could arguably be more 'versatile'... a Stingray is not exactly a one trick pony. You can get a wide range of sounds out of a Stingray. It's not just changing pickups, but the EQ and let's not forget the style you play in. You can make a Stingray sit back in the mix or be prominent and cutting, or anything you want. If you *need* a typical two-pickups-on-full-Jazz sound... well, no, the Stingray doesn't make that sound. It doesn't sound like a P if you need that specific sound. But can it sound right for any style? Yes, you can make it sound right.

For me, the Stingray sounds great and I don't have problems fitting into any band with it. It feels just right too. That's why it's my favourite bass. If I wanted versatile I'd have kept the L2000 with its two pickups and many switches, or the Warwick Corvette $$ with even more options. But the truth is, to me, the Stingray sounds better than any of the multitude of sounds those two basses can make. So... which is more versatile in the end? The Stingray, for me, as it works for me everywhere.
[/quote]

Very well put. :D