Why become a member? ×

Stone Roses at the Ethiad

mikegatward

So I didn't make it in from the start but from what I gather doors from 16:30 first act on at about 17:40ish I got in about 18:45ish caught some reggae then PE on at 19:45. The Roses came on at 21:00.
Things to note really the tram/buses were overwhelmed really on the way there and didn't even bother on the way back just walked to central Manchester.
But it was a great night apart from that Mani(playing a jazz for most of the night!) and Reni on top form

Edited by Joebethell

From where I was, more or less in the centre of the pitch, the sound on Wednesday was shockingly bad. For Public Enemy there was a massive echo coming from the back - it was like being sandwiched between two different gigs. For the Stone Roses, it seemed they tried to avoid the echo by turning the volume down, so John Squire was practically inaudible and there was no energy coming off the stage at all, apart from Reni, who carried the whole thing. It was better for the last hour, so maybe by Saturday they'll have worked it out. I suppose it may have been better in other parts of the stadium.

There was also a huge emergency services incident across the road from the main entrance, with half a dozen fire engines, so that didn't make getting away by car any easier.

We had stand tickets at the rear and for the roses the sound was great you could make everything out. The supports not so much at all. Northern Quarter was where I ended up after as well soaked to the skin dancing away to a load of 90s indie in Day and Night Cafe till the wee hours.