Why become a member? ×

Flea sporting a Jazz / MM hybrid now?!

goonieman

Damn, that's going to be expensive...

Looks like it's a CS bass with Aguillar pickup and preamp.

I'll miss the Modulus sound, but then it's been 18 years so a change can't be bad. (Edit, or is it nearly 20? Wow time flew)

I found some pics...

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1465848225' post='3071600']

I'll miss the Modulus sound, but then it's been 18 years so a change can't be bad. (Edit, or is it nearly 20? Wow time flew)

[/quote]

yeah, i'd be tempted to do a partscaster in that. I guess the Jazz wasn't really cutting through live... and he must have grown into the feel of the Jazz.

It's a great recording... and his tone is nice and round, with a thumping growl underneath. Not as clacky or cutting as the modulus.

JK IS getting better. It's difficult to go in and take that place. JF is my favourite 'lead' guitar player...I tend to prefer anti-heroes like Cobain/Coxon and Marr, not flashy players, but JF is SO good at melody with solos, it is unreal.

JK is starting to get comfy and funky with them now, and it shows. He just needs more confidence, which will come. His backing vocals are picking up as well...a massive part of JF's presence in a band.

I've ALWAYS thought Flea sounds better with a bass with a sweet-spot humbucker. It just works. Underpins yet cuts, which is why I like Stingrays so much. His tone got lost with a Jazz....it just didn't bite.

Cool bass though. Why a company hasn't recently picked him up and made a big deal about a signature model is beyond me; he is one of the most famous modern bass players and a credit to bass in general.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1465848225' post='3071600']

I found some pics...
[/quote]
Does beg the question why not go back to the Stingrays...?

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1466000236' post='3072733']
Wasn't it because MusicMan wouldn't give him a signature model ?
[/quote]

I read an interview with him (and Dave Navarro) at the time he'd just been given his first signature Modulus and he clearly stated exactly this.

If I was him, I'd basically want the best boutique Stingray made for me, whether that was through someone like Sadowsky, or whether Musicman would work with him to make a one off, but not change the name of the bass.

I do like the Modulus basses but the Ray's seem less 'clinical' and warmer.

Looks like this bass was made nearly 2 years ago

[url="https://www.talkbass.com/threads/flea-fender-custom-shop-bass.1096257/"]https://www.talkbass.com/threads/flea-fender-custom-shop-bass.1096257/[/url]

+1 to the Torture Me comment too - love his Jazz Bass tone.

Sterling Ball, boss of MM :
Flea was using the basses and really didnt have any direct connection with us. I invited him to slo to play in a The Mike Krukow Charity Golf Tournament ( former Cal Poly Alumni and Major League pitcher now broadcaster for the San Francisco Giants...has an orange axis) and he accepted. He showed up late barefoot and without a shirt golf clubs or balls. we got on pretty good. From there we supplied him with alot of basses and I hated his bass smashing phase. He left over money. He wanted a Flea signature Stingray and I said that wouldnt be right by Leo, Tony, Louis and all of the other stingray players. He said that his drummer was going to make a 100k from snare drum royalties and he wanted to make a cut on stingrays. I thought I had him calmed down but then I got wind of the Modulous deal and the last conversation was his atorney trying to tell me what I had to do and I said the only thing I really get to do is hang up on you....last contact. I wish that Flea and us could have split under better circumstances. I was right though

The funny story about Flea is that I asked him to do an ad for Slinky Bass strings that had just come out. he had the strings claimed to like them and I had a wacky shot of him and it said "Flea's Gone Slinky" The ad came out and Flea said GHS called and was bummed and he didnt know he was doing a string ad.....

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1466074668' post='3073166']
Is it only me that thinks he sounds the same no matter what bass he's playing!? (great)
[/quote]

Generally I'd agree apart from that tuition video on YouTube where's he's teaching how to slap on a flea bass. Not keen on the sound coming out of that bass at all personally but maybe that's just me.

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1466078679' post='3073207']
Generally I'd agree apart from that tuition video on YouTube where's he's teaching how to slap on a flea bass. Not keen on the sound coming out of that bass at all personally but maybe that's just me.
[/quote]
I agree, that clip is a bit rank. Lets correct that by saying any decent quality bass :)

[quote name='goonieman' timestamp='1465845407' post='3071562']
Howdie,

Any ideas on what this is, or where it came from? Never seen it. Seems like a great idea to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuNNEcardJY
[/quote]

This sounds exactly like a Modulus (more extreme than a Ray) but looks as if It has an Aguillar pick up and controls. It sounds nothing like a Fender to me, but I really like the sound. I was willing to watch but ultimately disliked him playing that classic RHCP stuff on a vintage Jazz which simply did not have that bite and aggressive sizzle which is a fundamental part of that era of their music. I'm guessing he felt the same as he started using the Modulus again.

I've seen photos where the new bass appears to have a control cavity rout with the electronics exposed and the Stingray-esque knobs attached to the EQ board, but in line as per a Sadowski.

Are we sure this isn't a collection of parts Flea has had put together and sprayed (or even done himself?).

Interesting (maybe coincidence) that T Commerford has started playing Stingrays at much the same time as well!! How the world changes in an instant!!!

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1466088381' post='3073281']
I've read several conflicting stories about the 'signature' Stingray Flea bass.

I've read he wanted to change the model name from Stingray to Flea bass.

I've read he just wanted a Stingray Flea bass edition.

I've read he wanted a Stingray with carbon fibre neck.

Etc etc. Money talks.
[/quote]

Notwithstanding the Sterling Ball quotes, carbon fibre neck requirement sounds possible also - as this is what Modulus did for Flea - ironically, EBMM produced the (very) limited run of graphite necked Ray's for the 100th NAMM anniversary a few years later. Strangely the same subject was also allegedly an issue for Leo with Musicman back at the end of the 70s (Cutlass basses were the eventual result after MM ceased having basses assembled by CLF Research and Leo's split with MM).

The other quote I've read from Sterling Ball was that ultimately they had no issue with Flea, but did with his attorneys.

Edited by drTStingray