Why become a member? ×

Flea sporting a Jazz / MM hybrid now?!

goonieman

Do we know what bass Flea is using on the new record?

I'm not much of a fan of the tone really, to be honest. Nothing will beat BSSM, but I enjoyed the Modulus tone. I don't think he has used Modulus extensively in the studio since By The Way?

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1466289502' post='3074774']
Do we know what bass Flea is using on the new record?

I'm not much of a fan of the tone really, to be honest. Nothing will beat BSSM, but I enjoyed the Modulus tone. I don't think he has used Modulus extensively in the studio since By The Way?
[/quote]
By The Way was all Modulus.

Stadium Arcadium was the stack pot Jazz for I think every track bar a couple which had the Modulus on (possibly Stingray).

I'm With You was an upgraded version of his own company Flea bass with artwork done by Damien Hirst. SD or Lane Poor MM pickup, Aguilar preamp and carbon fibre or (gasp) rosewood necks.

The Getaway most likely this white MM hybrid bass.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1466339902' post='3075041']
By The Way was all Modulus.

Stadium Arcadium was the stack pot Jazz for I think every track bar a couple which had the Modulus on (possibly Stingray).

I'm With You was an upgraded version of his own company Flea bass with artwork done by Damien Hirst. SD or Lane Poor MM pickup, Aguilar preamp and carbon fibre or (gasp) rosewood necks.

The Getaway most likely this white MM hybrid bass.
[/quote]

Agree with By The Way and Stadium Arcadium. Not so sure about I'm With You, I was fairly sure that was the Jazz bass too? The bass your describe I thought was the bass he toured with.

The Getaway definitely has a different tone from the previous two albums, so I guess you are probably right.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1466375401' post='3075425']

Agree with By The Way and Stadium Arcadium. Not so sure about I'm With You, I was fairly sure that was the Jazz bass too? The bass your describe I thought was the bass he toured with.

The Getaway definitely has a different tone from the previous two albums, so I guess you are probably right.
[/quote]
I struggle to think of any track on IWY which doesn't sound like an active MM pup.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1466088381' post='3073281']
I've read several conflicting stories about the 'signature' Stingray Flea bass.

I've read he wanted to change the model name from Stingray to Flea bass.

I've read he just wanted a Stingray Flea bass edition.

I've read he wanted a Stingray with carbon fibre neck.

Etc etc. Money talks.
[/quote]Imagine how many Mark King basses there would be? :D

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1466441389' post='3075824']
I struggle to think of any track on IWY which doesn't sound like an active MM pup.
[/quote]

I struggle to think of any that do! ;)

Factory of Faith certainly the jazz, Raindance Maggie, Ethiopia etc all stand in my memory as being jazzy sounding too.