Why become a member? ×

Custom Build Waiting Room...

CamdenRob

22 months to build a bass guitar!!! :o

Are they growing the trees to build the things with?

How come Status and Overwater can build and deliver them in 10 to 12 weeks nevermind months?

Maybe these guys need a Dawn Green to kick them up the back side.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1465825335' post='3071299']

How come Status and Overwater can build and deliver them in 10 to 12 weeks nevermind months?

[/quote]

:lol: ... a year of that is the waiting list unfortunately.

Wal only turn out a couple of finished instruments a month. One builder and one helper when I paid a visit last year, it's a very small operation.

I expect I will see a fair few come into the waiting room months after me, only for the nurse to call them in before me :blink:

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1465825576' post='3071304']
:lol: ... a year of that is the waiting list unfortunately.

Wal only turn out a couple of finished instruments a month. One builder and one helper when I paid a visit last year, it's a very small operation.

[/quote]

Yup, It's also much easier to knock out template clones too, so you can expect those faster - but if the instrument is completely bespoke, right down to the neck profile in millimetres, then I think it's fair to have to wait a bit longer. This is especially the case when it is one master-quality luthier with 30 instruments on the waiting list. But oh boy is the wait worth it if you go down the completely custom route. Jon Shuker of www.shukerguitars.co.uk is one such luthier with an eye for detail that is the envy of others!

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1465825335' post='3071299']

[/quote]
I'll let you know if it was worth the wait in a year or two !

Must post something.
C'mon guys show us your builds.
Maybe these long Wal build lead times are ok in some respects. Gives me months to decide what facings I'd like to have.
Padauk or American black walnut are my favourites from the standard choices. Bit hard to know unless you see them in the flesh!

Room for a little one? Currently about 6 weeks or so away from delivery of my Zoot Custom (fingers crossed etc.). Deposit placed towards the end of February so doesn't compare with you Wal guys, but somewhat shorter than my ACG build time...if, of course, nothing goes the shape of the pear and Desmond Delay comes a-knockin'.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1465828041' post='3071322']
Approaching the end here. Should have my ACG soon. All the woodwork is done, but don't have a final date yet...
[/quote]

And we have final pics! Just a setup left to do and she'll be winging her way over the Irish Sea!

Well Wednesday came & I picked up my new bass , finally stopped playing it to take some ropey pictures
Over the moon is an understatement
The body is claro walnut , with maple neck & mac ebony fingerboard , hiding under the pickup cover is a nordstrand split coil '51 , neck dimensions are same as my sei jazz

Edited by greenolive

[quote name='greenolive' timestamp='1466659194' post='3077591']
Well Wednesday came & I picked up my new bass , finally stopped playing it to take some ropey pictures
Over the moon is an understatement
The body is claro walnut , with maple neck & mac ebony fingerboard , hiding under the pickup cover is a nordstrand split coil '51 , neck dimensions are same as my sei jazz
[/quote]

Lovely... I've not seen one of those before... :)

I bet you've forgotten the wait already?