Why become a member? ×

Thumbpick players?

highwayman

Anybody playing bass with a thumbpick?
I like the idea of #1: not dropping a plectrum #2: a plectrum not becoming slippery with sweat & #3: being able to mix in some finger playing during a song.
I bought a Dunlop ultex one but couldn't get on with it as I found it too pointy - it would snag the strings on an upstroke; trying to trim it to a more rounded profile using nail clippers, predictably, provided no solution!

Which ones work for you?

I actually bought some (planet waves) last week and had the same problem / tried the same solution. Actually found in the end that the flat of the pick being too parallel with my thumb was more of a problem than the length of it so I guess it's not for me. The idea of switching between pick and fingers didn't really work for me either as I play floating thumb so it keeps snagging the other strings :(

I don't use one and I'm not even sure where you'd get one, but Chris Broderick (ex-Megadeth) came up with the Pick Clip.

It takes standard picks, so you can use various thicknesses (though I don't know how thick or thin) picks and you can replace them when they wear out.

I think they're a really good idea and I would certainly be looking for one if I was in a similar situation.

Edit to add: The metal thumb pick that I use for banjo has turned up edges so that it doesn't snag on up strokes.

Not much use for bass unless you want a really bright tone, but I thought I'd mention it because it addresses one of your problems, and though it might not be suitable, it might give you other ideas of what to look for?

Edited by KingBollock

I use them. Dunlop or Planet Waves size L are fine for me. I do play fairly hard and they wear down pretty quickly. I don't have a problem with the pick catching strings on upstrokes, although I do a lot of upstrokes (IE on purpose) anyway. I guess you just have to learn to use it as a new technique?

There's not a huge advantage to them because you'll still have to hold the pick to prevent it turning out of position on your thumb (on up strokes).

On a guitar it's used for downstrokes and doesn't need bracing or holding in the same way.

That's where thumb picks that have plastic picks attached to a metal band that goes around the thumb come in handy. I prefer those because you can squeeze them tight to keep them in place. Plastic ones don't fit me very well and my thumb gets sore very quickly when using them. Edited by Dad3353

I use mostly a Fred Kelly Slick Pick light or medium when playing a bass-strum style in a drumless lineup. Downstroke only, but being a smaller pick I don't have any snagging problems.
We sell them in the shop (£1.50), although I see they're not on the website. Handy, that!

• 2 weeks later...

Dominique Di Piazza used to used one:

[media]http://youtu.be/yq-TT0i5uTc[/media]

So does DDP just use thumb & forefinger exlclusively now? Anywho, he is a phenomenal player... much overlooked. I think he gave up bass for a few years and became a priest? Not sure if the right hand transition didn't happen then?

Edited by Dad3353

• 2 years later...
On 13/06/2016 at 17:53, Steve Woodcock said:

Dominique Di Piazza used to used one:

I saw him live in the early 90s with John Mcglaughlin and Trilok Gurtu. Utterly mind blowing. Up until now I thought he’d just been picking with his thumb and index finger. Thanks for that revelation.

On 07/02/2019 at 17:22, SICbass said:

I saw him live in the early 90s with John Mcglaughlin and Trilok Gurtu. Utterly mind blowing. Up until now I thought he’d just been picking with his thumb and index finger. Thanks for that revelation.

I did a couple of times... he was using a Warwick Streamer 5 at the time? His lines were awesome... I think Hadrien F takes quite a lot of influence from DDP... In a good way.

Ive tried one but just couldn’t get on with it. As already said, I think the angle is wrong for playing. I have a banjo and finger pics including a thumb pic are fine but you are picking very fine strings. Bass strings are just too heavy for a thumb pic. Certainly for me. 

• 3 years later...

I'm not quite sure which pieces of music require both a plectrum and fingers, but surely it would be simpler to palm it, when you need to use your fingers, than to use a cut down thumb pick. I've used plectrums in a lot of bands over the last 40years, and never had problems holding on to them, even at the hottest sweatiest gigs, just buy some grippy plectrums like Dunlop Tortex.

I've gigged with a thumbpick before. When in a hip-hop covers band we ran it like a DJ set with smooth transitions between songs. If you want to switch from fingers to pick and don't have time to pick one up, it's really great. Ready to go whenever! 

I used Dunlop thumbpicks. Didn't go for fingerpicks too though!

The only time I've been aware of someone using one is watching vids of The Knack playing My Sharona. 

Which doesn't add anything of value to the discussion but I thought I'd say it anyway 😊